Reviews for First Contact
AnAncientBard chapter 16 . 10/11/2013
I really love this story, it's just got something.
9/10
Keep 'em coming!
Wehaswallhacks chapter 2 . 10/6/2013
I like this so far.
Rake1810 chapter 16 . 10/6/2013
I LOVE this story, its original, well written, clever and so different then the majority of whats on this site. I love it and can't wait for the next chapter.
Hooloovoo Tardis chapter 13 . 9/27/2013
I'm kinda waiting for a mini-series on the other races adopting dogs at this point. :p

Western culture's prudery can be traced back to a certain Greek philosopher believing things of the body impure.

Other things on my mind RN: memes, aids epidemic, and the evolution of explitives.
Mogo ect chapter 4 . 9/21/2013
Point you made here reminded me of thing circulating around blog site. "I never said she stole my money" has different inferred meanings depending on which singular word is stressed, leading to seven possible meanings in all.
Mogo fav GL chapter 16 . 9/21/2013
I caught up. :C
How many hours ago did I start reading this?

Anyway:

This is fascinating, there are so many tangents and things not covered which is cool, because it would be boring if people thought in the same way and I like the unpredictability of it. Also you can have plot that way! (I would be so mired in worldbuilding and interactions.)

Intellectually a bit of a Joat anything public broadcast has on from science to lit, art history probably interests me (example bouncing bomb episode of Secrets of the Dead) So all the comparisons interest me it's just different prioritization.

Things I've thought about:
Shrodinger's Cat, Game Theory, College course specialization as an indicator of what we are interested in as a species and our selection of sciences, throwing things to the wall to see what sticks (with the brainstorming chapter), video games and their design and inherent violence in our gaming, just send them the entirety of tvtropes (that exists in that universe no recursive fourth-wall breaking paradox things.) and let them sort it out.

At this point sleep is futile. I'm going to immediately reread this until it's late/early enough for breakfast.
gingerale chapter 16 . 9/15/2013
Phew! Finally finished reading these. Started at least seven hours ago and I just couldn't stop except for one longer break. Absolutely wonderful writing here! I hope you will continue it.
darkgantros chapter 4 . 9/14/2013
a petty comment, to be sure, but perhaps you should update the Star Wars reference to a '9-part movie series' or simply 'a colossal body of fiction encompassing all forms of human media for over half a century' to cover all the angles.
Guest chapter 16 . 9/8/2013
Love this story. Keep updating.
HomemadeBong chapter 16 . 9/7/2013
Just something I've thought about and haven't seen. Culturally, most species like dancing, but I don't think I've ever read a story where humanity came into the picture and blew some minds with some hardcore breakdancing. I think it would be hilarious.
Guest chapter 16 . 9/7/2013
I want to see the galactic response to body modification from the everyday to the extreme.
eve chapter 12 . 9/5/2013
Humans and cute babies who woulda thought
compa16 chapter 2 . 9/4/2013
Oh I love this
C4Cypher chapter 16 . 8/27/2013
This story is wonderful. Full Stop. I had to think about how I wanted to start this review, bandying about words such as 'incredible', 'masterpiece', or other more descriptive phrases. In the end, I realized I wanted to convey more the reasons as to why I enjoyed reading this as opposed to how much I did (very much, as it turns out). This is not a simple endeavor.

Writing good fiction is a challenge. The first obstacle is syntax, which is easily rectifiable through simple proofreading. Grammar, and more importantly, the style expressed through it, is not so simple. True, you can write a story with 'correct' grammar, but repeating the same sentence and paragraph structures, for wit 'subject did action with object'. This style of writing, repeating this sentence structure, without color or expression to flesh out the prose, quickly leads to cold, emotionless expression of events that quickly kills off my interest as a reader, despite the obvious emotional intentions of a writer. Colorful, emotional and descriptive writing is not easily taught nor learned. It is only when these technical challenges are surpassed can the true artistic merits of a work be felt, at least to me.

The first contact scenario is a tantalizing one ... I am drawn to the emotional ques of the 'fish out of water' setting, characters caught in circumstances forcing them to react to experiences far outside of their knowledge and comfort zones.

You've managed to use the Mass Effect universe to capture this and use it as a brush to paint an amazing picture, an amazingly fun one to read. Furthermore, you've managed to make an amazing commentary on the human nature, and how it might appear to that of a homogenized (at least in comparison to 'human' variations) perspective. The end result is enormously entertaining.

Thank you for providing us with this. I would encourage you to continue, but I also understand the heartbreak and utter showstopper that the Mass Effect franchise concluded with. If nothing else, allow me to compliment you as a superb writer.
DracolDuran79 chapter 9 . 8/26/2013
An answer to the Contact movie quote question about God. God is more likely in every way. The proof of his existence is everywhere you can look! If he made everything, then all of Creation is his proof, and nothing else is needed!

It is only man who says all this is not proof enough, simply because they are mad that God doesn't choose to speak with them verbally whenever they want.

On a side note, digging your story so far!
1,097 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »