Reviews for First Contact
Liege Lord chapter 5 . 12/3/2011
Very nice, gotta love the glowing. :)

I thought the holographic feedback was more from implants in the hands rather than air pressure though? In canon anyway.
macsammy chapter 5 . 12/3/2011
Another good update looking forward to more
speaker4thesilent chapter 5 . 12/3/2011
You are FAR too self-critical. Anyone who has read any science fiction should be familiar with the realities imposed by alternate viewpoints in storytelling, and confusion as to what is going on will(assuming a competent writer) disappear in future chapters. So congrats on building suspense and another great chapter.
Alchemist Astrid chapter 5 . 12/3/2011
Funny; MY puppy only smiles when he knows he did something bad.

And I'm curious... where did you hear that implants were required to work with the aerogel screens in the ME universe?
Fruityone chapter 4 . 12/1/2011
"About the sweat thing-as far as I know, no other species is known to do that in ME. And not all species on Earth do. And since they're, you know, alien, I figured I'd mix things up a little. Sorry if it seems unrealistic."

I liked that bit, even though it really doesn't add anything to the plot, its good detail, something I don't thing I've read anywhere in any Scifi based fiction.
Teucrian chapter 4 . 11/25/2011
Interesting story. You certainly fired my curiosity with that gunfight at the beginning. Keep it up!
X15lm204 chapter 4 . 11/21/2011
I literally cannot put into words how happy this makes me.

The non-words OMGMOREPLZ will have to do.
almostinsane chapter 4 . 11/20/2011
Great story1 This is rather interesting. I can't wait to read more. God bless!
College Fool chapter 4 . 11/16/2011
I just found this story, and it instantly earned its way onto the 'Favorites' list.

The anti-thesis to my own largest work here, but a peaceful First Contact is going to be just as influential on the Human psyche as the canon one... but in so many different ways. Less 'survivalist' mentality and fears being dominant.

You're approaching this very, very well. You characters are appropriately intelligent, imperfect, and reasonable. They're making all the right moves for all the right reasons, without huge amounts of handwaving.

So far it's been an optimistic take. That's perfectly fine: a peaceful first contact is an optimistic starting point. Cultural flaws and disagreements can come later.

An obvious one on the Human side will be fragmentation: Earth isn't unified under the Alliance. National differences do exist... and not only would it be perchance a tad optimistic if they start going kumbyah and make a proto-Alliance, but you'd miss out on an excellent opportunity for 'Divide and Prosper' politics. You already mentioned that the matter of 'who to talk to' was being put off, but I could certainly see different Earth factions and certain Council-space factions trying to make their own deals.

Not out for dominance, mind you: I think your 'peaceful contact' is important. But the democratic-Asari might be more naturally inclined towards democracies, the militant-imperialist Turians closer to stable, humane authoritarian governments. The Salarians are the notorious paranoid, and might hedge their bets as well.

Rather than a unified Humanity reaching into space, a non-unified Humanity with different nations/alliances making their own space colonization programs. Rather than an umbrella of Human Alliance colonies, you could see Chinese colonies, or North American colonies, or European colonies, etc.

Benign competition. Not necessarily worrisome.

(It would also seriously mess with the tradition Council stance of one-race, one-voice... but it's the Council's own fault for making contact before unification, right?)

Non-typical dilemma there.

I'm rambling, but that's only because I think this is good. Good concept, good execution, good change from the norm.

I especially liked your point about the Asari captain, Wavela, becoming lightly smitten after seeing the physical similarities. Given the Asari role as 'alien space babes', but who apparently have the taboo against their own kind, I always felt that Bioware missed out on the implicit taboo-skirting of Asari-Human relationships. It has to be the safest outlet for all those who would otherwise want a pure-blood relationship: Humans aren't aliens, so it's guilt free fantasy.

Sorry, more rambling. Looking forward to more.
general-joseph-dickson chapter 4 . 11/16/2011
Interesting to see how this plays out.
Megatoast chapter 4 . 11/15/2011
Very good!

One thing I noticed though is that in the first two chapters, the humans' names are Jason, Kate, and Keigo. But in the second, it suddenly became JOHN, Kate, and Keigo.

Just thought you should know.

Keep it up.
raw666 chapter 4 . 11/13/2011
Actually, I think Star Trek is more unique in the aspect because of the message. 'That we can work together, no mater race or species,' and 'A dream to build a better future.' You know what also be funny if the Council actually look through the old vids and try to see if it is possible. Especially the salarians with human think tanks.

However, I think a more interesting conversation would be put under evolution. Where it talks about as a species, how quickly they adapt, and how it changes their culture as well over time and as they evolve to survive in environments easily. That would be interesting, especially to species that hardly ever change or adapt. Also explain human thoughts on evolution in the future.
knightmare1986 chapter 4 . 11/12/2011
This is a great story. Hope you continue for a while. Glad to see a peaceful first contact for once. The Council can help guide humanity in steps by improving their tech base and introducing new ideas in other fields like medicine for instance. I would think like Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Excellent movie by the way. That is how establishing peaceful relations and alliances between aliens cultures should be done. I would like to see the Council send a delegation to visit Earth to set up a embassy so that humans wanting to visit the Citadel can and vice versa. This would be a great for humans and members of the Citadel races to get to know one another. Until next time, take care.
EyeFox chapter 1 . 11/12/2011
I got to say, your stories are amazing. I've just read a few though and still reading more. So far I think this one is the best and you should write more of it. Update soon, I'll be here reading!
badkidoh chapter 4 . 11/11/2011