Reviews for First Contact
Whatsthislinefor chapter 4 . 10/28/2011
I'm not sure what to say here. I think this story is great so far and I wanT MOAR!
Dark vengeance chapter 4 . 10/28/2011
The chapter was exciting. But leaving a cliffhanger like that in the middle of the story is very good for the story. I would stick to one story at a time, although I love the text at the beginning describing an alien view of humanity. I would like to see more of those :)
Meklor chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Odd cliffhanger in the middle there, but interesting story nonetheless. Definitely going to keep and eye on this one.
Chris1701ab chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I like the story.
bluemarlin chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Wonderful AU first contact story. Really enjoying it even with the worrying cliffhanger in the middle of Wavela getting shot. Please continue to update.
JuSt SOme RaNDoM PsYchO chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I'd like to point out that any form of life using amino acids we can identify (AKA Everything in mass effect besides Quarians, Turians, Volus, and probably Thresher maws) would most likely have an aquatic origin... simply because oceans and lakes are really good at keeping up conditions that allow amino acids and RNA/DNA to form.

So unless you mean that the Asari skipped the reptile and mammal stages (this is actually pretty likely they don't have enough mammalian features besides breasts for them to really be mammals.) and went from amphibious animals to sentient amphibian like beings...

Saying they have aquatic origins would be redundant.

But enough of my mostly superficial science babble this is an awesome story!

I hope to see more soon.

C'ya!
JC chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Loved this chapter.

I wonder what they would think of our views on AI's. After all the Terminator series is near identical to what happened to the Quarians, and humans have always had the 'frankenstien complex' (IE mans creation destroying the creator). Yet at the same time there are works such as 'AI Artificial Intelligence' that sympathize with AI's.
Kudara chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
First, boo hiss on the strange cliffhanger in the middle...

Now, that done, excellent chapter, I've always wondered myself why after Star Trek and Star Wars that some writers assume humans would be automatically xenophobic, maybe once several decades ago but I just don't see it as a given anymore unless the alien in question is scary looking or (as the tuians did in canon ME) attack us first.

I do hope the shorter chapters work for you in helping you update more frequently because this is definitely a very interesting what if.
Whatshisface v.2 chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Ewwww, way to start introductions out with sweaty palms! :D

A bit worried about the whole, "Wavela getting gunned down" thing. Darnet, way to leave a cliffhanger in the MIDDLE of the chapter!

Also, the Star Wars bit made me think about it, it IS kinda weird how they're all just 'There', isn't it?
Da Burls chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I'm undecided about whether the short chapter length is good, but hey you're the author, so long as I get to read it I'm happy! I'm guessing the first bit outside of the italics is a foreshadowing of something to come later. I do like the "articles that you incorporate in, they're good fun to read". The sweat issue is interesting, at first I thought that as Asari and Human are so simmilar it would be strange for asari not to, especially as human's have a somewhat aquatic stage in their past. Thinking more on it though it is certainly a possible difference.
fredthebadger chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I just read your a/n about the sweat. that is an interesting example of differences humanity has that are not necessarily advantages. one other thing that could come up later is sunburns. the only 2 things on earth that get burnt are us and pigs.
khaos974 chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
You wrote "Many popular works portray humans as the antagonists of the story, sometimes going as far as to portray them as destructive, incomprehensible, giant beings that destroy the lives of those around them.".

That should be entirely expected given that humans have not made any alien contact prior to this one, as a result unless they invent alien races, antagonists are unavoidably human themselves. Just live most antagonists in Salarian fiction were probable Salarian before first contact.
Liege Lord chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Huh the sweat thing did make me laugh. :)

Interested to find out what's going on with Wavela in that other section, looks like it takes place in the future compared to the meeting on Mars.

Lordy
pie chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Definitely unique as hell, as far as first-contacts go. I'll be looking for more!
DaveInACave chapter 4 . 10/25/2011
The starwars aspect really is unique in many sci-fi areas because of the extent of the blending of species as you touch on. There's not even any real mention of humans as a distinct people, they are everywhere. Other races do have home worlds or groups of home worlds, but humans are ubiquitous and origin-less. At least according to the majority of the canon, I think I remember reading at one point that there was some nigh mythically distant home world in starwars humanity's past, but I can't remember anything specific.

The sweating thing is actually fascinating, I had no idea that humans were unique in such an obtuse way in the Mass Effect world. That would have an effect on dietary differences actually, the lack of water and subsequent salt loss through sweat might mean aliens would likely find human food particularly salty. Humans like the flavour of salt because our bodies require so much of it that is necessary and so our taste buds have adapted to that, Asari might find what we find delicious (a nice seasoned steak for instance) almost unpalatably salty. Or being aquatic they might need MORE salt to regulate osmotic potentials as well as various cellular processes that salt ions are essential for.

Religious differences are a hot button issue admittedly, but it's interesting to note that while I haven't researched it for the ME world, the religions presented in the games seemed to imply a mostly unified view amongst each race. Humanities variances there might be an interesting point for an essay. :P

Another thing to note: Facial differences aside, humanity has a huge range of body types. From tall to short, from hulkingly muscular to frail and thin, to morbidly obese. The races in ME don't seem to show that, at least in game. Now that's up to you to interpret, you could easily just call that the animator's license being used to cut corners on modeling but still. Hell there are humans that could compete with small Krogan for sizes, and humans that would make Salarians look robust. Genetic diversity at it's best, mostly due to Earth's particularly "active" geology creating such diverse landmasses and regions for people to evolve. A race that didn't spread into as many climates and regions in it's pre-sentience stages wouldn't have anywhere NEAR our diversity. In animals on earth, unless specifically bred for certain types such as dogs, animals of a particular species tend to be very similar to one another in body type and cosmetic appearance.

My last comment (I'll cut myself off here, I could probably go on as much as I love the concept of this story) is something you've already looked at for aliens in sci-fi: Humanity's take on AI in fiction, and even in fact as we ARE working towards it in reality would be potentially contentious for the citadel races. The Geth would be a group that ME itself shows humanity would be fairly sympathetic towards but again with our dichotomies, the Quarians would be as well.

Anyway, keep up the good work, can't wait for more :)
1,183 | « Prev Page 1 .. 62 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 .. Last Next »