Reviews for First Contact
Alec McDowell chapter 4 . 10/31/2011
I really like this so far. The 'first contact' was pretty unique and the reactions of the aliens was fun to see as well. Interesting how it set the turian off right away, though. However this whole uplifting things turns out- and I have the feeling humanity will want to strike out on their own far quicker than the Council expects- these early meetings are going much better than if the turian were involved. I could easily see, in that situation, the turians quickly tricking humans into being a client race, so that, 100 years down the line there's a huge mess as they try and break free. Hope to see more of this soon.
jjones987 chapter 4 . 10/30/2011
Amazing
Left hand turn signal chapter 4 . 10/30/2011
This is probably the best first contact fic I've read. Mostly because of the random essay snippets. The main story is really interesting too, don't get me wrong, but a series of short snippets seems like the best way to tell a first contact story in my opinion.

My only suggestion would be to mix in a few negative essays. Maybe one that points out differences between first and third world countries (which supposedly still existed in Mass Effect), and maybe a second opinion on human popular culture, maybe one about how all the evil things happening in said media were really inspired by the human psyche.

All in all a great story that I hope you continue.
Azure Fields chapter 4 . 10/28/2011
I like the Star Wars mention. It also occurred to me that most of the protagonists were human and the other species were just there. You have to remember that the Empire was a human-centric organization. That is why you don't see alot of "aliens" in the original trilogy. As for the Rebel Alliance, many of those people were humans from the Core who lived in the Republic before the rise of the Empire. They knew what life was like and they knew that the Empire was wrong on so many levels. Combine that with the fact that Humans dominated the Galactic Core, it explains why other species don't get the spotlight. Most other species joined the Rebel Alliance later on when the Empire threatened their homeworlds. However in the Expanded Universe, other species play a more prominent role alongside the humans.
Whatsthislinefor chapter 4 . 10/28/2011
I'm not sure what to say here. I think this story is great so far and I wanT MOAR!
Dark vengeance chapter 4 . 10/28/2011
The chapter was exciting. But leaving a cliffhanger like that in the middle of the story is very good for the story. I would stick to one story at a time, although I love the text at the beginning describing an alien view of humanity. I would like to see more of those :)
Meklor chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Odd cliffhanger in the middle there, but interesting story nonetheless. Definitely going to keep and eye on this one.
Chris1701ab chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I like the story.
bluemarlin chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Wonderful AU first contact story. Really enjoying it even with the worrying cliffhanger in the middle of Wavela getting shot. Please continue to update.
JuSt SOme RaNDoM PsYchO chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I'd like to point out that any form of life using amino acids we can identify (AKA Everything in mass effect besides Quarians, Turians, Volus, and probably Thresher maws) would most likely have an aquatic origin... simply because oceans and lakes are really good at keeping up conditions that allow amino acids and RNA/DNA to form.

So unless you mean that the Asari skipped the reptile and mammal stages (this is actually pretty likely they don't have enough mammalian features besides breasts for them to really be mammals.) and went from amphibious animals to sentient amphibian like beings...

Saying they have aquatic origins would be redundant.

But enough of my mostly superficial science babble this is an awesome story!

I hope to see more soon.

C'ya!
JC chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Loved this chapter.

I wonder what they would think of our views on AI's. After all the Terminator series is near identical to what happened to the Quarians, and humans have always had the 'frankenstien complex' (IE mans creation destroying the creator). Yet at the same time there are works such as 'AI Artificial Intelligence' that sympathize with AI's.
Kudara chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
First, boo hiss on the strange cliffhanger in the middle...

Now, that done, excellent chapter, I've always wondered myself why after Star Trek and Star Wars that some writers assume humans would be automatically xenophobic, maybe once several decades ago but I just don't see it as a given anymore unless the alien in question is scary looking or (as the tuians did in canon ME) attack us first.

I do hope the shorter chapters work for you in helping you update more frequently because this is definitely a very interesting what if.
Whatshisface v.2 chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
Ewwww, way to start introductions out with sweaty palms! :D

A bit worried about the whole, "Wavela getting gunned down" thing. Darnet, way to leave a cliffhanger in the MIDDLE of the chapter!

Also, the Star Wars bit made me think about it, it IS kinda weird how they're all just 'There', isn't it?
Da Burls chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I'm undecided about whether the short chapter length is good, but hey you're the author, so long as I get to read it I'm happy! I'm guessing the first bit outside of the italics is a foreshadowing of something to come later. I do like the "articles that you incorporate in, they're good fun to read". The sweat issue is interesting, at first I thought that as Asari and Human are so simmilar it would be strange for asari not to, especially as human's have a somewhat aquatic stage in their past. Thinking more on it though it is certainly a possible difference.
fredthebadger chapter 4 . 10/26/2011
I just read your a/n about the sweat. that is an interesting example of differences humanity has that are not necessarily advantages. one other thing that could come up later is sunburns. the only 2 things on earth that get burnt are us and pigs.
1,187 | « Prev Page 1 .. 62 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 .. Last Next »