Reviews for Cantus Nobilis I: Demons' Run
AnitaHoward chapter 18 . 10/5/2013
Wow, this was an incredibly ambitious story, and it was a resounding success! I definitely like this a whole lot better than Moffat shoe-horning in 'Mels' in 'Let's Kill Hitler' (though that episode was pretty good for the most part). Donna being River Song is ... not something I would have expected, and certainly not something that I would have thought I'd like, but it's brilliant! Two thumbs definitely up and (although I'm really sad that you killed Wilf, but ... otherwise) three cheers :D
Maggie-baka chapter 18 . 7/15/2013
Obviously this is better than Moffat's version. Moffat is an evil sadist. Whicg is not to say that this isn't excellent in its own right, mind.
Kina Kalamari chapter 17 . 10/31/2012
To be honest, while I appreciate how well the pieces fit, I just can't make River and Donna the same person in my head. Their personalities are too strong by themselves. Also, I really like the Doctor/River, but think that the Doctor and Donna should never be more than friends.

Anyway, moving from my personal opinions to the actual story…

Firstly, River says that she's in prison for killing someone. If that someone is Wilf, and she killed him in an alley and then ran off with the Doctor, how does she ever end up in prison for it?

Secondly, why did she just suddenly say that her name was River Song? What inspired that?

Thirdly, why did the Doctor still think that he could return Melody to them before he found out that she was Donna? He already knew that she was River, so wouldn't he have already known that she had to live out her life and become River Song before her parents could have contact with her?

Okay, questiony criticisms over now. On a positive note, I did really enjoy reading the story. Your prose was very good and the story flowed well without getting any more confusing than Doctor Who normally is. :P I liked Adele, and the fact that she turned out to be Rory's grandmother.

So… yeah. I will read a sequel. :]
SageQ anyalev.vampyahoo.com chapter 18 . 5/7/2012
I LOVE THIS! Don't get me wrong I love canon, but I really love your version because not only does it give Donna a good ending, but it also keeps River as Amy and Rory's daughter unlike many AU dealing with River's identity.
Sylva Dax chapter 18 . 2/15/2012
As much as I enjoyed "Let's Kill Hitler" I've struggled with the lack of explanation as to how Melody went from 1969 New York to being Amy and Rory's childhood companion. Things just don't quite add up. Now I've read your wonderfully crafted story and wish that it had been the official one. Just the explanation of the need for the space suit, etc., makes this story so much richer. The reasons you give for why Madame Kovarian and the Silence wanted Melody/Donna are quite believable.

The rescue of Adele and the others was a wonderful touch, especially the way you reveal that she was actually Rory's grandmother.

The killing of Wilfred as the "good man" that River is supposed to have killed is to me one of the weakest elements in the story.

I look forward to reading the future adventures.
Sylva Dax chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
Nicely written. To say that the end of this chapter left me intrigued is putting it mildly. I can't wait to read what comes next.
mericat chapter 17 . 1/18/2012
How fantastic that Vincent and River get along swimmingly. I am sure Vincent will be going off with the Doctor and River in the future. Glad to see that you gave Melody, Amy and Rory a bit of time together before they are divided. I am heartbroken about Wilf, but Donna/River made the right decision. Can't wait for next story.
mericat chapter 10 . 1/17/2012
I don't know how I didn't keep up with your story. I feel heartbroken for both Rory and Amy. No one can replace a lost child and other children help you go on, but that lost one is always in and tugging at your heart. And yay! Donna has been saved.
mericat chapter 9 . 1/17/2012
So sad that so many deluded themselves into thinking they could stay in Germany. I think that most of them would have agreed to some asylum after their run-in with Madame K. So clever the Doctor and his friends. Love the way the machines were ripped apart.
mericat chapter 8 . 1/17/2012
Love the picnic baskets and horrified that Kovarian stokes her fires with the dead Jewish bodies. I know Donna will be ok but it is hard to see her go through this. I have been reading this story straight through with intense interest. I can't wait to see where it goes next.
eXyse chapter 17 . 12/29/2011
This is an excellently constructed story. Everything from the spot-on characterizations to the skillfully constructed narrative structure blew me away. This story is in my personal Doctor Who canon now.
Vilinye chapter 17 . 9/3/2011
Well, for an AU it's pretty well written and snazzy
Vilinye chapter 9 . 9/3/2011
No offense to you or the Doctor but...France gets overrun too.
Enhas chapter 17 . 8/31/2011
It's a shame to see that it's over, but everything ends. All I can say is that I like this River origin story much better than the drivel Moffat cranked out, and not just because River Donna Melody. Mels, to me, was an unlikeable character just created to get himself out of the corner he had written into, and just as quickly disposed of.

You also made much more of the Demons Run prophecy / legend. A Good Man Goes To War really didn't do that justice, except for "the child is lost", and it was all a giant plot to fool the Doctor anyway. Even though the final showdown was with just four people in an abandoned warehouse, it was indeed terrible with the feeling that everyone was going to lose somehow no matter what happened.

I'm looking forward to more set within this continuity, but even if not it was still a good point to finish it. Along with the Doctor, I also like how you wrote River's character and think it's quite close to the actual show
MayFairy chapter 17 . 8/30/2011
i loved it! this was a great ending, and in case i didn't say it before, you write all the characters brilliantly. i am very sad to see that the story is over!