Reviews for Why?
PSW chapter 1 . 11/18/2014
This was well done, thank you for being willing to write about such a difficult topic...
Baroness Emma chapter 1 . 2/6/2014
A very good short story. I too have experienced suicides, both attempted and successful, of friends and family. It's never easy, and don't ever find all the answers, but you do learn to accept, in time. Love is greater than death, no matter what form either takes.
Linstock chapter 1 . 6/12/2013
Such an eloquent and evocative drabble. Its a salve to those who knows this pain and a challenge to everyone to be aware.
maba7x chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
Type your review here...
Melody chapter 1 . 1/4/2013
Having lost my sister last year, I felt a connection with this simple story. Thank you for the phone number and the reminder that there is help. So many of us would gladly be there and lend an ear or shoulder and a hand. I have enjoyed each of your works and appreciate your views of our friends. In the hands of a thoughtful writer many delightful-and otherwise-characters continue to live. Thanks.
TOSoldtimer chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
I am so sorry for the tragedy that prompted you to write this heartbreaking story. (Your Hotline info may have saved someone's life)

I see myself in the gardener. I read the story several times before I got up the gumption to write about "why" at least from my point of view. (Admitting to a major mental illness is rather like coming out about being gay). I am bipolar, it is hereditary, and it runs in my family, but we didn't know about it. Of course, not everyone inherits it, but I did. I struggled with a death wish from early childhood. It was always there, lurking in the shadows. If I felt guilty, hurt or angry about something, it got worse. As a small child, I prayed that God would strike me dead. If I stood at the top of a cliff, it was like a magnet pulling me down. If I stood on the fantail of a ship, oblivion was in the wake, calling me. If I stayed there long enough, I knew I would jump. When I was old enough to drive, there was always the high speed crash into a bridge abutment. I read everything in the library about suicide (this was before the Internet) I hid my depression, and didn't tell anyone for years, fearing I would lose my freedom or be shunned.

But you are right, there is help, and with the aid of my husband, I finally got it. Talk therapy didn't help me, but my psychiatrist had me research my family history with an emphasis on "weird" relatives. On my father's side there were lots, including one who spent half her life in an insane asylum. Hence the bipolar diagnosis. I went on lithium and the death wish went into remission. It has't been back! My life has been worth living. I have no idea if the victim of your tragedy was in any way like me, but it is my hope that someday there will be affordable, stigma free help for all those with mental illness, and that similar tragedies may be averted in the future.
Jamille Shane chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
It was good of you to not only write this, but to put the note at the end. There are so many that it does not occur to them that there can be another way. We just need to ask for the help.
Zizi.West chapter 1 . 9/9/2011
A complex subject, nicely handled in this short form. I liked your description of the contrast between the vibrant, colorful plants and the stillness of Selen. Selen's hard work, maintaining life in a garden, would have resulted in happiness & the creation of a calm environment for the benefit of many others. Sadly, I've known good people who were overpowered by depression & couldn't see how much others appreciated them. Thanks for this poignant, thought-provoking story.
CardinalinNight chapter 1 . 9/4/2011
Disquieting but beautifully written.
LettieM chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
What a sad, beautifully written story. I am so sorry for the circumstances that led to your writing it. My deepest condolences to you on your loss.
fanficfan71 chapter 1 . 8/14/2011
A very sad, and very well written story. My condolences on your loss.
Siskiyou chapter 1 . 8/13/2011
I am so sorry for your loss, and for the confusion and pain that trails in the wake of such a tragedy. Thank you for the trust you show in sharing your sorrow.

It is an act of kindness and heroism on your part to provide the hotline number in your coworker/friend's memory. We spend so much time in the company of those we work with, and yet sometimes how little we know about them: the cook who makes our lunch, the boy who brings the mail, even the person seated next to us. All the people that make up the landscape of our days.

I recently lost an important partner on a business project this way, not someone I would presume to be close with, but someone I'd expected to work many years with. Someone who seemed to me to be a kind and caring person also committed to long term goals and projects. What could I have said? How could I have known? What did I miss? What wouldn't I have said to let him know how much I appreciated him?

At the risk of sounding like Garrison Keillor, it's a reminder to be as kind as we can to those still here, to pay attention, to recognize we're all here short term.

Here's a cup of tea and a warm hug from me. Please take care of yourself. And keep on with your great writing.
junewilliams7 chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
*hugs* I am so sorry that your friend took his life. He was fortunate to have you as his loving friends, to trust you with leaving his suicide note and personal effects on your doorstep, but I wish he'd trusted you with his feelings. I hope that writing this story has helped you a bit. You did everything you could for him; it was impossible for you to read his mind and know his thoughts.
T'Soy chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
I hope writing this helped at least a little. Nice job, simple and complete as it can be.
NotesfromaClassroom chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
I hope that writing this has been a good sort of catharsis for you.