Reviews for Venus Going Down, or Mars
madbrad chapter 16 . 1/7
- If not for the band about her neck, she would have been plotting this child's death, and that of her brothers' and especially that of her father's.

Brrrr. Still no penance there? And to think I was waxing starry-eyed a couple of chapters ago about Dorotea growing closer to Max and his family. Reading this I feel quite embarrassed. :-)

- How I ensured that Crassus was witness to your whippings, Maximus? It would not have done to leave your humiliation incomplete.

Okay, not liking Dorotea much at all right now. (We didn't witness any of these thoughts in the series, after she had the collar, right?)

- "It's far, far too late for this," he says finally. "Good-bye, stepmother."

Okay, lesson learnt. Although your clear depiction of Dorotea's inherent maleficence made it much easier for me to accept that a Disney ending for Dorotea isn't warranted.
madbrad chapter 14 . 1/7
I thought it was a bit sad - although realistic - that Crassus was still upset with Tavi as at the end of the series. I had a thought here that maybe he and Tavi could renew their friendship as they occasionally happen to meet while socialising with Max's family. Easy for Crassus to hide from Tavi when he's in his northern reclusion; much more difficult when they're visiting the same house at the same time.
madbrad chapter 13 . 1/7
"I was only gone a month and your realm has gone even more mad." - heh. LOL at that line. Pure Kitai. :-)

This is very nice as a supplement to the canon's Happy Ending, of which I wanted more. :-)
madbrad chapter 12 . 1/7
Yeah, Max's life under his murderous stepmother is a key note of drama/pathos in the books. I like the strength of Veradis's love for Max that we see here reflected in her animosity towards Dorotea.

Although that also builds a barricade against any possibility of further rapprochement between Max and his stepmother, his children will never get to know here (okay, that could be a good thing, if she reverts), etc. A few possible good futures murdered here by the 'mummy bear'. Hmmm.
madbrad chapter 8 . 1/7
Okay, so Max has married Veradis, very good. (I wasn't smart enough to pick up the significance of the 'Cereus' title in the previous chapter featuring him.) Love the idea of the friendship between Max and Calderon running strong after the books. But why wouldn't it? Still, nice to see.
madbrad chapter 7 . 1/7
Yes, I see what you mean about Masha having some issues to work through. But Bernard and Amara *are* awesome. :-)
madbrad chapter 6 . 1/7
Well, I like saccharine, so there. :-)

So whom did Max marry? Was it Veradis?
madbrad chapter 4 . 1/7
The reconciliation between the brothers was a very nice and welcome sub-plot of the books. Good show!
madbrad chapter 3 . 1/7
'intriguecraft'! A perfect name for Tavi's expertise! :-)

It's nice/good to see that old Sextus had some personal emotions/love for his grandson.
madbrad chapter 2 . 1/7
Just finished the last book of the series and keen for more; I think this collection will satisfy. :-) This particularly chapter did, thank you!
jedimasterjosephine chapter 17 . 12/13/2016
These are great!
Duesal Bladesinger chapter 17 . 12/12/2015
Thank you so much for writing these drabbles. Now I don't have to go insane waiting for a sequel to Codex Alera that's never going to come.
Ph34r n0 3V1L chapter 17 . 7/13/2014
Would love to see more of these. Your tone is great.
katlo chapter 17 . 6/4/2014
you have a truly beautiful way with words, and a deep insight into human relationships and thoughts. I love reading your work. :)
Guest chapter 12 . 3/1/2014
I kind of wish there was a scene like this between Tavi and Dorotea.