Reviews for University Challenge
Itz193 chapter 25 . 6/13
just discovered the story! Love reading this modern AU. I hope you will make an update.
Re-reading this brillant story for (what must be) the 1,000th time! It’s simply THE BEST. Thank you for it!
Mary Crawley chapter 5 . 3/29
Matthew and Mary NEED to get together!
Hi Silvestria, and Happy New Year! I’m forever hoping that you’ll continue this marvelous story at some point - fior it’s my very favorite of all the many, excellent M/M fanfics... Thank you for it!
Joanne Liu chapter 25 . 8/16/2016
Not so sure when you will read this but just want to say i enjoyed reading it in Aug 2016.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 25 . 7/9/2016
A City fan, Matthew? How could you?
I would love to see Robert sporting the horrid 70s fashions. :D
"No. I meant me. You have me too.", *clutches chest*
And the tiny stab at Edith, while cruel, was funny and so much in character.
Getting cut out of the inheritance is not unexpected but the «Boy, it escalated quickly» (or whatever) gif still popped up in my mind.
I think you laid the groundwork for the finale well and I can't wait to read how it ends.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 24 . 7/9/2016
How lovely were the bits between Sybil and Edith? A bit unexpected at first, but it's nice to see another sides to characters that seem to be quite drawn out right of the gate. Thank you for that bit.
The latest news will definitely shake everything a great deal.
I'm sorry this comment seems rather vague, because I really liked it.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 23 . 7/9/2016
Of course Molesley would throw up into the popcorn. (I kid because I'm fond of him).
I haven't finished reading this chapter yet, but I think that so far you are fleshing the whys of Mary's teenage and gap year actions very well and still in character of what we know of her despite the time-frame change.
The bit about the «twisted Jane Austen novel» was tremendous.
And Mary's friends seem like the worst.
I think you did a skillful job with balancing Mary's doubts and personality with her fear of failing.
She would hate me for saying it, but poor Mary.
The chapter was heartbreaking but at the same time I think Mary's resilience and perseverance still shine through in a very pertinent , thoughtful, talented manner.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 22 . 7/9/2016
«"Oh, I'm not exploding. I'm very calm about it. Teenagers fall pregnant all the time. Why should my daughters be any different?"» - Once again, this rang so Cora to me.
«Matthew was so comfortable in this role as boyfriend; it came naturally to him to be kind, to be loving. It did not come naturally to her, not in the same way.» - Spot on.
«Mary stood rooted to the spot, her heart racing. With cold horror, she realised she was trembling. Matthew, kind, sweet, generous, occasionally misguided Matthew... It was Matthew and he deserved better than her.», Shhhh. No, he doesn't. You're perfect for each other.
Cora and her pancakes is hilarious but at the same time so relatable.
This is a wonderful chapter. I think you balanced tension and angst very well with hope and love.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 21 . 7/9/2016
«He's very short». I'm sorry, Tom, I don't mean to make fun of you but I laughed.
Awkward. That's what you get when you jump to particular conclusions, Matthew, and things develop from there.
«Her expression more serene than it had been, though there was a kind of solemn resignation about her; beautiful and luminous and inexpressively sad, like a Madonna in a painting.», lovely sentence.
On one hand, I want to read the rest in one sitting, but on the other hand I'll miss being able to binge-read the story.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 20 . 7/9/2016
There was no tie scene but Mary and Matthew are boy/girlfriend and basically burning gardens to the ground. *Screams* (I know it's getting repetitive, but your rendition of them and of their story makes me miss them so much and fuels my feels so intensely it's hard not to).
Is Sybil and Tom's situation so well resolved and so soon? I can't wait to see where it is going.
I know you like him, but I don't like Richard in canon and yours is already grating on my nerves.
«"Whenever someone tells me to relax, I feel immediately tense,"», hear hear, Mary.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 19 . 7/9/2016
How do you make it so that even a thoroughly contemporary line such as «"Try not to sound like an Evangelical pro-lifer from Florida, it doesn't suit you," comes infused with such Mary-ness it's nearly impossible to not read it in Michelle Dockery's voice and see Mary saying it to Sybil?

I liked the glimpses into Mary's life before St. Andrews.
Please tell me that there's a «tie the tie» scene afterwards. I'm always up for them.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 18 . 7/9/2016
*Flails over Mary x Matthew for a great deal of the chapter*
I always forget that Matthew has a motorcycle for some reason and I'm always out of place when I first read it, but I'm glad it provided us with the image of them riding away.
I had already read a post you had written about why you thought Mary would enjoy Twilight so it didn't come exactly as a surprise, but it still amused me. I do concede that for all their faults, the books are tremendously engrossing.
I think you raised pertinent questions with the bit about Matthew's thoughts on Mary, which also showcase that there's so much more he doesn't know about her.
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 17 . 7/9/2016
I like how you convey the mixture of tenderness and yet some tough love as well in the dynamics between Mary and Sybil, as I have said yet.
Mary and Matthew *-*
S. Winter-Fitzgerald chapter 16 . 7/3/2016
«Me? I'm always alright». I like how this, in my opinion at least, mirrors the «I don't have a heart» line from the show. Mary may seem aloof and closed-off but there's so much happening inside of her.
This party is as bonkers as it gets.
Poor Anna. After all, there's Vera?
Anna's reaction is so accurate. At risk of repeating myself (once again), you have such a close grip on the characters, you adapt their circumstances to present but it always feels organic. I must commend you for that.
Of course Mary would excell and kicking people out of the party. :D
Yeahhhhh. \o/ *At Last plays in the backdrop. Well, I better save that for the wedding*.
This was so good and close and my feels are rattled because your writing always does that. Thank you so much for sharing this story with us.