Reviews for Saying Farewell
TheFightingTemeraire chapter 1 . 3/20/2009
That was so sweet, and so heartwrenching all at once. I loved it. Good job.
Naryfiel Lilith chapter 1 . 10/20/2007
doesn't namarie mean "farewell'? or am i confusing it with something? anyway, wonderful story! i enjoyed reading it!
RavenLady chapter 1 . 5/7/2005
Your twist on this scene makes it so much more interesting than the typical Finrod/Amarie fic. I'm glad I didn't give up entirely on finding a version I liked. I can add my voice to the chorus and be the 20th reviewer to say how beautifully written this is, but I'm more impressed yet to see something different and *plausible* about a subject I always found rather boring. Thank you!
Evenstar Elanor chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
so sweet. "Almost. One of the saddest words of Arda Marred." applies to both Arda, and the world now. beautiful story.
jojo11 chapter 1 . 6/6/2004
both his brothers? doesn't he have three brothers? (aegnor, angrod and orodreth)

"After they had returned their betrothal-rings in the Great Square of Tirion and said their farewells, he had watched her walk away through the gloom that had replaced the Light of the Trees killed by Morgoth and Ungoliant."

even the imagination of the scene is so sad!

i like the idea of them getting married ere finrod has to leave, although it's not nice of aegnor to disturb them.
Elfique chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
at first, the R rating (my prudeness, ;) heh heh) put me off reading this but it wasn't as graphic as id expected and was as normal very good. It's so unfair how you can write so well!
Prophetic Fire chapter 1 . 8/6/2003
Hey! I liked this! Curse you; another talented writer! *sighs* Oh well. Perhaps I judge myself a little too harshly, but as of yet no one has really told me otherwise. Oh my gosh, what in Arda am I rambling about? Just ignore me, and take my humble opinion. *smiles* I'm off to read more now.
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 1/24/2003
*blinks* Finch, this is wonderful. I've been meaning to seriously read your Finrod tales for a while now, and finally have started to do so. You commented how "those who remain" could act as a sequel for this... it is a little eerie, how well the two tales suit each other. I love the little details you throw in - Finrod keeping his favorite chisels with him, Amarie braiding her hair before she leaves... very nice!

- Ellipsis
albinofrog88 chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
I must admit I haven't actually read The Simirillian yet, my mom bought it for me for Christmas but I have read The Hobit and The Lord Of The Rings so I'm not completely hopeless. Although, maybe am since this is a completely new section...oh well no excuses. I really liked this although I'm a little confused but that's my own fault. I'm thinking Amerie is an elf and Finrod is Numereon except why would he be going over the sea? Oh well, I'm a complete idiot and if you were to review reviews this would suck. But thought I'd say I think this was written really well and managed to fell really sad.
Moonstone Tears chapter 1 . 10/2/2002
This is so beautifully written! It carries a bittersweet quality that is completely heartwrenching.

I also like the subtle humor that you have placed throughout this work... as with it, it seems to make Finrod's leaving even crueller and even more piercing.

Brilliant.
toastedcheese chapter 1 . 8/19/2002
How beautifully sad. If that makes any sense. Very, very well written.
Starlight10 chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
I was so moved by this piece... I am amazed at your wonderful portrayal of this one scene, a very painful moment for both Finrod and Amarie. I have always been deeply impressed by the story of Finrod. His true self and character hold such an air of mystery to me! I love your references to early customs, such as the betrothal rings or the taking of vows. The Silmarillion is such a wonderful source for inspiration and insight, not just for fan fiction writers, but also a complete work addressing human nature. You have done an excellent job in conveying the true sense of this farewell. I wish to thank you for this masterpiece and I will be reading much more of your work.
Philosopher At Large chapter 1 . 5/27/2002
A very beautiful depiction of Sacred Eros in the Oxford Movement's tradition. Personally I would not consider this any more "R-Rated" myself than either the noble film "Black Orpheus" or The Canticle of Canticles...It is interesting to me that the Elvish tradition concerning marriage is precisely that of the medieval church as voiced by the sage* Tomaso of the House of the Eagle: that a pledge before God between two competent parties is all that is necessary & sufficient; the present legal demands were put in place to deal with abuses and deceptions, but are not the substance of the thing itself. It is also fascinating to me how much the Silmarillion has to offer us, both in terms of illuminating LOTR, and shedding light on human existence!

Thanks for a beautiful interlude.

*Yes, I'm being a bit silly here: this is of course the 13th c. rebel-aristocrat-theologian St. Thomas Aquinas!
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/26/2002
A heartfelt, bittersweet story. Everything else seems to have been said (beautiful, lovely, etc.) so I'm off to read the next story in the Finrod cycle!
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/13/2002
I love this one. Actually I read it after I notice your Finrod's tale part 2, so I guess i better check part 1 first..I love it. Amarie and Finrod are a great couple. I am very glad that he returned from Mandos so they might have happy ending.

I love your writing, as always. so beautful and touching.

Btw, it is not slash. slash only for m/m or f/f pairing.