Reviews for Her Body's Plaything
EvilReaderMaximum chapter 72 . 3/22
Nydus worm constipation fund...Im tryimg very hard not to howl with laughter right now.
Bearmauls chapter 104 . 2/21
That was a pretty wonderful read. I certainly enjoyed it better than the HotS campaign, where it felt like it just undid everything I earned in WoL. Glad I found this :)
Modaghair chapter 105 . 2/11
I know I'm way too late, but I just read this and really loved it. Your technical/spelling/grammar is fine, with only a couple of misused words or typos in the entire thing. The people feel real, develop naturally, and take up just the right amount of space for their place in the story. I think your inhuman characters could stand to be more inhuman, but have no clue how you would accomplish it. Everything is canon or original, and flows logically. The only thing that pulled me out of this story at all was the overuse of characters saying 'this sounds like something from a bad novel/book.' Ignoring that bit of self-depreciation in there, the story is absolutely incredible. I hope you publish your own book someday, something completely your own.
kenyizsu chapter 105 . 11/8/2016
HA!
You know... it's so funny to see an opinion about StarCraft 2 that condratics THIS MUCH with my own! :D There is nothing wrong with this, I'm just fascinated by how different it can be. Really interesting. Hey maybe, it's because I was introduced to StarCraft 2 first and THEN did I trace the source back to StarCraft 1 and Brood War. Also, by this time I know Legacy of the Void by heart as well. :D Can I share my take?

I personally found the story of StarCraft 2 memorable and it's definitely my top favorite game of all time (I have no idea how many times I have replayed it XD). I didn't know jackshit about anything when I first booted it up, hell I didn't even know what the fuck the zerg and the protoss were. And this story actually made me give a shit about EVERYTHING that happened to a universe I didn't know anything about before. I root for the terrans, I completely adore the protoss and I fucking hate the zerg and all of their shit. I even hated Kerrigan for a long long time, usually until that "Prison break" cutscene where she and Raynor meet up again. After that, I'm okay with her. Even in human form, she had a vibe that told me that this bitch would do ANYTHING, go ANYWHERE to get what she wants. If that was revenge against Mengsk, then so be it. Did she get properly punished for what she has done in the first game? No, she didn't, I admit. But I guess... the fact that not everybody gets what they deserve felt like a nod to real life for me. There are so many people who deserve to be burnt alive (Kerrigan too) yet they sit on their mighty thrones high above the law.
But she didn't get the happy ending, not even in LoTV, in my opinion. She was forced to completely leave behind her humanity and the man she loved and went on a completely suicidal campaign against a GOD, knowing that she basically has no chance of winning, so she said herself. THIS is a happy fate? And in LoTV, she was twisted even more and her usual mortal life had been taken away. I didn't envy her, I didn't want to be in her place. Hell, that was probably the shittiest fates of all the heroes in StarCraft. Tychus had it easier than her.

As for the Indigo Prophecy Syndrome... as far as I can tell, Amon had been behind the whole franchise. Brood War ends with a huge-ass hint of his arrival, basically (thanks for that, Zeratul! :D). In the first game, yeah, people's lives were at stake... Specifically, two entire fucking SPECIES. Both the terrans AND the protoss were threatened by a great enigmatic being (the Zerg Overmind, what else) that just wanted to see all of them dead. What is the difference between Amon and the Overmind? The Overmind was less behind-the-scenes and more in-your-face? Yeah. Kinda. Pretty much that. I practically LOL-ed at the fact that JUST when the Zerg appear and go look for the protoss to munch them up, one protoss out of the blue decides that "MMMMEH, I'll befriend and the learn the ways of the very ethnic group which the Khalai protoss hate with a passion, just for the heck of it." Because Tassadar had NO real reason for all that, he just felt like doing it. That's some awesome timing right there. :D So if the first game was allowed to pull this "luck" card, why not the second one? At least the second game gave a proper explanation as to WHY the Overmind decided to spare one insignificant human and turn her into a mobile cerebrate that technically can be killed by a well-placed rifle headshot from any terran, basically. Great tactical advantage, amIright?
Back to Amon. I'm sorry to hear that his appearance couldn't make you give a damn about the sector. I guess I can see your reasons. But for me, Zeratul's vision of the possible future, where you make your last goddamn stand, was so powerful that I couldn't wait to kick his ass with every available forces! :D It pumped my adrenalin to max levels. And when you ACTUALLY go and basically NUKE the shit out of his host body during LoTV?! That was EPIC! I loved that! Narud's presence in HoTS reminded me very clearly why that sonofabitch needed to die (y'know... if that vision hadn't hammered the point home by any chance...).
I also don't feel like Amon was a motivation-less THING that floated in the background. Granted, I admit clearly that in HoTS we do not know much about his motives, because he wasn't the main focus. That's why I have waited till the story was officially finished, and... it didn't disappoint. You want a human, understandable motive for villians, right? Well, you got it! :D I mean, Amon did EXACTLY what you have done here! You didn't like what you saw in HoTS, so you created your own version of it, keeping only the basic cornerstones, while "destroying" (i.e. ignoring) the original. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with it, but you do realize that Amon does the same, right? He doesn't like the current version of the world, he believes he can make something better, and that is what he intends to do. I think it's awesome! Really neat! :D And the best part? I haven't even realized this until I stumbled upon your fanfic! Thanks a bunch!

As for the first game... I dearly DEARLY wish I could love them as much as you do. :) But to be honest... they were so laaaaaame for me. The pacing was horribly fast, the characters were underwhelming and/or stupid and/or cardboard-cutouts. Tassadar was a total joke who almost spelled the death of his own race when he was unable to make the necessary sacrifice and kick the Conclave in the ass (after, you know, raving about making the necessary sacrifice for 5 hours in real time...), Kerrigan was a complete piece of shit whom I wanted to kill when I played with her (unlike in HoTS where she eventually wins my sympathy when she meets Raynor again), Aldaris was an annoying shit and just so stupid for not trying to explain the reason behind his rebellion (because that would have been too logical), the entire UED was the dumbest bunch I have ever seen, the designs were terrible and generally the games looked like ass. I can't even tell the difference between the planets, they were all the same! Hell, even Zeratul was weird with his habit of breaking out into long philosophical speeches right in the middle of the goddamn warzone whenever he felt like it.
Artanis and Jim Raynor were basically the only decent guys in the whole gang...

Again, maybe it's because I was introduced to SC2 first, but SC1 and Brood War had been a HUUUUGE letdown for me. Give me the Spear of Adun any time, I will gladly go on an epic quest to drag an entire race back from the very brink of extinction. En Taro Artanis! :D

Then again, thank you so much for this criticism of yours for SC2. It helped me realize why I loved these games, all the little hidden details, and also the fact that how strangely different two views can be. :D I hope I hadn't offended you, because I sure as FUCK did not intend this review as an attack.
Anyway, hope you're having a good time with LoTV! Bye!
Erik chapter 105 . 10/3/2016
Wonderful writing and a good rant at the end. StarCraft certainly upped the scales too far, and had difficulty de-escalating. I have greatly appreciated reading your fic, seeing more small powers working at cross-purposes for individual goals, changing their minds for reasons that aren't "the plot demands it":
Guest chapter 72 . 9/8/2016
I was exoecting Stukov in the beginning but the story got so much better with Cain around
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 92 . 8/10/2016
I'll always be someone's plaything, be it fate, the Confederacy, of my own goddamn body!" She was yelling at him. Why was she doing that?"

Aaah, she said it! She said the thing!
-Peter Griffon
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 75 . 8/10/2016
Heh, reminds me of the death ball in Fifth Element.
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 72 . 8/9/2016
"All the captain could blurt out was: "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!"

I don't know but it was brilliant.
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 64 . 8/9/2016
"Blow it up from orbit. Only way to be sure…"

Teehee

"She 'convinced' one of them that there was cake in the firebat's fuel tanks that could be recovered by blasting it open with gunfire."

No, the cake is a lie!
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 61 . 8/9/2016
"Don't panic."

Just know where your towel is and DON'T PANIC.
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 59 . 8/9/2016
Nooooo, Staaaaaanleeeeeeeyyyy!
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 55 . 8/9/2016
"Even a dead god can still dream…"

And then the Zerg eat Cthulhu and Yog Shoggoth and everyone has a bad time.
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 37 . 8/9/2016
Oh boy oh boy oh boy...
The One Who Reads Too Much chapter 32 . 8/9/2016
"On whose authority?"
"I'm the doctor."

But do you have a blue police box?