Reviews for Domus Hadeum, or Where You Live
tromana chapter 5 . 3/26/2012
As this is the second time it's been mentioned, I'm just going to say that I find Lisbon's method of tea making absolutely foul. I couldn't drink it like that; no wonder Jane disposes of it.

I'm glad you've portrayed Grace as astute as she should be, and I'm also glad that she's chasing up Lisbon and that Hightower has agreed to it, provided Cho will agree, which I don't doubt that he will. After several chapters of this, I'm glad that it has got some grounding back in the outside world by Lisbon contacting the others.

I also really liked Jane actually talking to Angela and hearing her voice, as such. It's also nice to know that with her memory, Jane is growing increasingly concerned about his own behaviour and is realising that it's unacceptable. Is this growth? A turning point? I'm not sure, there's a lot more to go on this thing...
tromana chapter 4 . 3/26/2012
I didn't expect this chapter to be so short, probably because the other ones weren't. Maybe I'll read another chapter now too.

The control issues are beautifully displayed - and you pose an interesting question. Who is right? Is Lisbon just choosing to be close to him and can walk away at any time? Or does Jane own her, just like he claims to in this piece? Bringing up Mashburn and especially Bosco was callous on his part, but I guess that's the point and it drives home the message that he's trying to get across to her. Not less interesting, but different, is the biting ritual he goes through. The mark will physically disappear over time, but it proves his point further, especially given the fact she almost lets him do it, provided he does not make her bleed for her troubles.
tromana chapter 3 . 3/26/2012
I enjoyed the split of time in this, to see what they're both going through and how they're reacting to what one another does as a consequence. The fact that this is so detailed in their every action is also something I enjoy very much, it makes it so easy to envisage actually happening. It also provides the much-needed view of each of their mindsets, and also makes me want to empathise with the pair of them (even if, by default, I still side with Lisbon as such, but even in the show itself I find myself agreeing with her more.)

Jane's inner turmoil is getting all the more intriguing - especially now he's realised/acknowledged the visceral attraction he has for her. Lisbon's reaction to it - fear, not intrigue - is also particularly interesting.

Think I'll read one more chapter before lunch.
tromana chapter 2 . 3/26/2012
Oh, the series 3 finale of Doctor Who. I did love Simm's Master, and the lyrics you've quoted are startling appropriate for what I've read thus far of this fic.

The fact that they are back in Malibu, at loggerheads over who is right and with completely different aims in mind is beautifully portrayed. Naturally, I hope Lisbon comes out on top here and saves Jane from his demons, but at the same time... Well, Jane has suffered an awful amount and people often lash out at those closest to them. I think this is pretty much evidence of that.

I also really like the idea of Lisbon trying to get close to the spirits of Angela and Charlotte, where Jane cannot simply because he believes they do not exist. Of course he would react with horror to the concept, far beyond the lack of control he has over Lisbon. Sometimes, I do wonder if there is the 'what if' at the back of his mind. What if they are watching, what if they are horrified with what he is doing. And seeing Lisbon, the woman who he cares about but is also pinpointing the blame of stealing 'his revenge' from him would be a lot for him to handle.

Wow, this story is really making me ramble already. Sorry about that.
tromana chapter 1 . 3/26/2012
I don't know what's taken me so long to get to this piece, especially as I always loved the conversation in 'Five Red Herrings'. On the plus side, my memory of it is vague enough for this to feel very fresh. I think - if Lisbon were to take down Red John without Jane knowing til after the fact, that this is very plausible. Though it's easy to think otherwise, he is very unstable, after all.
shadowcat012 chapter 18 . 3/24/2012
It's going to take me awhile to get this right. I figure this "monster of a story" deserves a monster of a review. ;)

You've had me pulled into and emotionally invested in this story since Five Red Herrings to Cut Down Mighty Trees. You deliver such a depth to the characters that the word angst does not feel strong enough to describe. Right off the bat you dove straight into the dark abyss that is Patrick Jane and did not hold back. It was punch after emotional punch with him that I was incredibly tense, leaning over the computer screen, deliberately reading every word slowly to fully experience all that could be felt. My imagination only goes so far, but your words guided me so that I was only able to ever take a breather whenever Jane left Lisbon alone. But of course, this in turn would only leave me itching for them to be in the same room again.

It’s surprising that this whole story took place in the span of one week-or was it less? So much happened from intense confrontations to deep reflections and all the little (bitter) sweet things in between, that it is a little mind bending trying to keep the actual time straight. I don’t know if I can stress enough how much I appreciate the detail, thought, energy, and tactfulness with which you handled this story and the characters. Jane and Lisbon are two that would have to sort through so much in order to be together. Some are the obvious, such as Red John and Jane’s need for revenge. There’s also his family, his home, his way of viewing life. Again, the blindfolds were off and you not only turned every stone but examined them, explained what they were, how they got there, and what it all meant by pulling all the information together. You picked Jane apart so that when he finally found a sense of clarity as to what he wanted out of life now that Red John was gone, I as a reader felt the weight lift from his shoulders as if my shoulders had been supporting the weight as well.

What I appreciate is that once you had Jane come around, it was Lisbon’s turn to sort through her own baggage in attempt to “catch up”. I’ve come across many fan fiction where writers tackle Jane’s side of letting go of his past-and many do a wonderful job as well- but once he’s ready to start a relationship with Lisbon, the writers end it there with Lisbon accepting him. It didn’t even occur to me how much Lisbon would have to go through to accept him, to accept the idea of the two of them together, until reading your story. Again, Red John, Jane’s revenge and ghosts aside. There’s her past, her need for control, and her emotional trust issues. There was a moment where I completely understood and sympathized with Lisbon’s fear of committing to everything long term that Jane breezily brought up and seemed to expect. She would want to run-I would want to run-so I read vigorously to find out how you were going to have Jane bring her around. And you hit me with something really poignant that I felt it stir something shaky in my stomach.

"Time doesn't matter. We belong to each other now. No matter if the choice was made two hours ago or two years ago. We are together. All times are now. Face it, Lisbon - I am not letting you go. If you want to have children, I am the man you will have them with. If you don't want children, I am the man you won't have them with."

Terrifying yet romantic at the same time. Of course, that would be something Jane would say, wouldn’t it? This may have been the tipping point for Lisbon, right? Because from what I could tell, she goes to him, and from then on she’s testing her worth in his eyes; challenging his love versus his lust. And you kept it so raw, dark- human. When they finally did come together, equally parts willing and scared as hell, you wrote their consummation in such a way that I feel you’ve defined the term ‘love scene’.

What had me smiling was at the end of everything; their torment, their tension, their love; you still have them falling back on what makes Jane and Lisbon, well, Jane and Lisbon-with the added bonus of sensual romance thrown in the mix. I wish I could sum up Domus Hadeum with one word. But every word I think of does not seem to do this justice in my mind. The best I can say is that you have a sincere story here. One that will have me looking at Jane and Lisbon’s relationship with new eyes. And you can definitely bet that this story is one that will stay with me for a long while. Thank you for writing and sharing this incredible story. Your hard work has truly paid off.
kimmers44 chapter 18 . 12/24/2011
wow this was incredible! had to de-lurk briefly to give you some props LOL!
In The Name chapter 18 . 12/21/2011
What a great conclusion to an amazing story. The idea was genius, and the story was well-written. Thank you for sharing your story, I loved reading it. :) I hope you write another story soon.
MeltedChocoButton chapter 18 . 12/17/2011
Really solid ending. I liked how understanding and encouraging Lisbon was. Curious as to why Jane thought Lisbon's affinity for combining pain and pleasure was most obvious when she's in charge.

I liked that Jane is still damaged at the end, but getting better. Felt in keeping with the story.

The sexual preferences of Jane made for enthralling reading. I didn't understand why the spooning position in prev chap wasn't enoughfor him to let go though. It allows him to take control by setting the pace and avoid eye contact, after all. Maybe i missed something.

I thought it was sad that he has read so much disappointment in the eyes of previous partners, he wants to avoid that altogether. But i suspect being with Lisbon will give him more confidence.

I've really enjoyed reading this fic. It's been compelling reading from the start. Thanks for posting.
AVG18 chapter 18 . 12/13/2011
Ah good things must come to and end sooner or later. Fortunately for us readers, it was "later" and we were able to enjoy this one for quite some time. I feel I have a connection to this fic, 'cause whenever I was wondering "would there be an update soon" I was pleasantly surprise to see one the very next day (I'll pretend it to be magic).

I loved that now we know why Jane couldn't stare her in the eyes for long during intercourse; I guess it would be very Jane-like to keep reading her body reactions, and he has always, in one way or another, has both stated and implied that she's a bad liar. But thinking about it, he's always been looking at her eyes when trying to figure out if she's telling the truth or not, and sometimes he gets it but others he just gets a mixed message. It was also nice that Lisbon showed him that he can trust her where intimacy is involved, not just phisically, but emotionally. It makes me wonder how the writers of the show could do this for Jane in the show ('cause at this point, he's sure to have such intimacy issues, I believe).

What I liked the most is like you said, it wasn't all a "... And They Lived Happily Ever After", but more like someone said "...And They Lived", with all that "it" involves, waking up every day and trying to make the best of each day. I think that's what makes charactes as Patrick and Teresa so very interesting.

Once again, thank you for not just writing an average ending, and for finishing this one. I always looked back to the fic that started this ("Five Red Herrings To Cut Down Mighty Trees") and that chapter "Where you live" really caused an impact on me. I was happy to see months later that it became the key for a deeper follow-up. You did a GREAT job.

Read you soon!
LittleMender chapter 18 . 12/13/2011
Okay, for starters I'll just list everything I liked on the surface about this story.

1) I can imagine Jane really wanting to see "Harvey". 2) I like that they were so relaxed with each other doing mundane things-that's how I picture them after the initial shock, fear, arguments (including Lisbon throwing things) of realizing they want a relationship (under any circumstances) and finally giving into it. 3) The reality that not even deep love, psychological catharsis or great sex cures insomnia and Jane not being able and not even wanting to sort out his feelings of guilt, etc. 3) Lisbon "enjoying the quiet" of being alone but coming back to enjoying him when she saw his need for her. 4) "Not just yet, please." Mm-mm-mm (and perfect use of the comma). 5) The tulips, the banter (before, during, after and about sex)-all very sexy.

As for the deeper things, I loved his need to be with her and-and this is huge-that you didn't change him immediately. I had a real appreciation for his feeling he no longer had the territorial advantage because now they were in HER home (I also really liked that he was so eager for it to be his home, too.)

I had been very curious about his need to be behind her all the time-holding her, having sex in that position (besides the obvious). Your explanation about not wanting to see her eyes all of the time because it was too much and he would be able to read everything, the good and the bad and the disappointing, was brilliant. So very like him, so understandable with his character, so acceptable without losing any of the romance. I feel like that was something he would have learned, in greatest part, from his wife. And, I feel it was something he would never have told her. I liked that Lisbon just accepted it, and because she knows it, can ask for him to be face to face sometimes because she knows exactly what she'll show him with her eyes and know that it's something he would want to or need to see, making their relationship all the more intimate. His admission that he knows her connection with pain and pleasure and his taking his pleasure in that (and taking advantage of it, the use of the word "triumphant" to describe the way he had felt about it was, again, brilliant) was a lot of emotional exposure as well, which was a great show and sign of his trust in her-another intimacy building block for them both.

Again, I loved, loved, loved the sexy banter-great verbal foreplay. As for the sex itself, again, congratulations on bypassing smut and moving straight for sweet eroticism.

Great final chapter. My favorite for so many reasons. Congratulations, MerriWyllow!
All-I-need chapter 18 . 12/13/2011
This story is (was) wonderful. Definitely unconventional, but weird works for me ;-)

Im glad that theyre not simply forgetting everything that happened between them, that Jane is still having trouble sleeping (very realistic, thanks for that!) and that he has trouble seeing her eyes when theyre making love because hes too good at reading her.

Also, do not think I missed Madeleines reference to their earlier conversation. "When shes unhappy, I am ... less happy." Way to go, Jane! Love it that Hightower simply threw his own words back at him. Shes great!

And of course, Jane is still Jane. He glued her stapler to the desk? HAHA! Thats brilliant! Very much like him. They should make him do this on the show *laugh* Lisbon would be furious.

Thank you for writing and posting this story, youve done an amazing job! Also, thnaks to LittleMender for making you stick to the story. It was definitely worth the effort.
Cielo chapter 18 . 12/12/2011
The quote in the end was perfect, haha.

Very well done.
mwalter1 chapter 18 . 12/12/2011
"I have a stapler. Right here."

"And right there is where it will stay. I glued it to your desk.

This chapter sort of reminds me of the movie "What Women Want". Great ending to this story!
Blue chapter 17 . 12/6/2011
There were a few approaches I didn't expect and I had actually thought this moment would be about neither having control, just mutual chaos but I also understand why after everything Lisbon got to start things up.

Jane being fearful of it turning into something like the other night was sweet; the tenderness and admiration he showed for her shows how his attitude changed.

I loved how he woke her up again for another round, but like Lisbon I'm also curious about the reason for his reactions.

Overall, I'm glad they've reached this point, it's the culmination of a long journey.
141 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »