Reviews for A Series of Proposals
WibblyLights chapter 1 . 9/11/2013
This was amazing! Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales in almost all of its incarnations (I say almost because some are truly awful.) This story, however, was beautiful. I like how you traced the path of their relationship just using the evening proposals. I think, in the beginning, I would have liked more emotion on the part of the Beast. Not amazing amounts of emotion, but a few small hints of how his proposal made him feel every night. Later on, you have the emotion with him being almost eager one night and flat and monotone the next. Also on Day 22&23 you have "Not of her family and their her return," which makes no sense. I assume the "their" is a typo. One of my favorite parts is the line "holding on to each other as if they would fall off the planet if they let go." I think this is a lovely and very telling simile.
Sheherazade's Fable chapter 1 . 6/15/2013
This was a great progression of the classic tale. Good job.
Papercups chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
WOW. That was really good, keep writing!
Concolor44 chapter 1 . 5/14/2012
This was eminently satisfying. I did not notice a single error in spelling or punctuation (which doesn't mean there wasn't one, because I read very quickly and was paying more attention to the story than to the technical aspects) which is always helpful in allowing the story's true nature to come to the fore.

In 1978 Robin McKinley wrote "Beauty", a retelling of the old tale that is one of the better novels I've ever read. It explored the essential character of Belle in a way that hadn't been done before, and gave her to the reader as my very favorite fictional character: the strong-willed, purposeful, principled heroine.

Your heroine here ISN'T that Belle, not exactly. For one thing, we don't get to know her as well, an unavoidable lack given the context. But your writing hearkens to McKinley's, and brought that story to mind. (That's a compliment.)

I think Day 24 was my favorite piece. The lightning-strike of realization was well-presented.

This goes into Favorites.
Lara D chapter 1 . 9/4/2011
Sorry this took me almost a month to read and review...

Aww! SO adorable. :) Wow, it took her almost a month to say yes. But the Beast was persistent-very adorable. :)

Brilliant story! Was written wonderfully! Keep up the great work!

Lara
13-Red-Cards chapter 1 . 8/28/2011
This story was just beautiful. Thank you so much for writing and sharing it!
Yodeling Pickles chapter 1 . 8/25/2011
I love that! I never thought of doing just a short yet still managing to fit the whole story in. Very well done! And beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and that was a great twist with the fiancee. Super awesome!
yorkie999777000 chapter 1 . 8/25/2011
and now they're divorced.

lol. ironic isn't it?
Evil Scrapbooker chapter 1 . 8/25/2011
Okay, I could swear that I've read this before. Or something very very similar. Have you published it in TeenInk or something? I was reading it, and it seemed so familiar . . . anyway, I love it! It's absolutely beautiful. I like how intelligent, poetic, and well-spoken you made the beast. I also like the fact that you put in her fiance. Very creative and it added another layer to the story. Wonderful job.
MertleYuts chapter 1 . 8/23/2011
Aww, simple and cute. A month is easy to underestimate, but it is actually pretty long when you think about how much you normally manage to do in a month, huh.
Clar the Pirate chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
I liked it, you did a great job with managing to make something so repetitive different each time.

Though it couldn't have begun anywhere else, I'd have liked to know what happened earlier on that first day so that she wasn't so terrified. Uneasy, definitely, but not nearly so scared as I'd be if I was confronted with a beast - heh, probably I'm just a wuss.

And maybe just a touch more detail around the fiance when she goes to him? He seemed a little bit flat, like too stereotypical douchebag boy.

But no, I really enjoyed it, particularly when she interrupted the question - it was what convinced me she had character.
Lauren B chapter 1 . 8/19/2011
Very nice! Have you thought about publishing it in a magazine somewhere?