Reviews for Petunia Weeps
rebecca-in-blue chapter 1 . 10/17/2014
I'm so impressed with how introspective and sympathetic you make Petunia here, which isn't easy to do with such a character. I also love how you conveyed the events of DH through her Muggle viewpoint (which, obviously, we never saw in the book) and sorted through her different feelings towards Lily. And Dumbledore's voice in his letter to her comes through just perfectly. Wonderful work.
KrnYong chapter 1 . 7/26/2013
These aren't tears, it's just raining on my face. Petunia is so relatable here, I can feel her sorrow and it's just so damned heartbreaking. Great writing, thank you.
Illyria934 chapter 1 . 7/19/2013
Great story, you portrayal of Petunia was spot on and very human.; I absolutely loved it. And I enjoyed the line of Dudley becoming a fan of Quidditch very much; I can totally see that happening after the moment with Harry in DH and after having spent months together with wizards. I don't agree however with your evaluation of Lily as kind and loving - don't see any evidence of it in canon.
Sietha chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
This is lovely. I especially love Snape's comparison to a mangy stray Lily took in.

Love this sentence, too. "Jealousy, so long her companion, lanced Petunia anew: even this guttersnipe got to be a hero, joining Lily in the pantheon of Good Guys while Petunia cowered in a safe house." Made me laugh.

Have you ever considered doing a longer SS/LE fic?
Haiza Tyri chapter 1 . 3/25/2012
Thank you for the depth and reality of this story. It's magnificent.
Stars and Jewels chapter 1 . 12/22/2011
EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT! First of all, I think it's creative you wrote a story focusing on Snape and Petunia, as I doubt many tohers would've. Also, I like how you had Petunia feel bad not just for Lily but for Snape. Very well done.
Always123 chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
Another great story. The ending was so touching. The Dursleys are very much in character. Again, so well written!
PrincessLazyPants chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
Last sentence was very powerful. I really liked it from start to finish. I like how it had a bit of a slow start with Petunia and Vernon reading the papers and how it transitioned from that to Petunia reading it by herself and reflecting her past. Very nice!
Swallow B chapter 1 . 8/24/2011
This is a very interesting story. I haven't read any others about the Durselys' 'exile'. Everyone is very in character, canon details well researched.

As another reviewer remarked, there was absolutely no closure for the Dursleys, either in the book in the film, and that, just as they were beginning to look like something else than horrific caricatures.

You did a good job of getting into Petunia's head. And I can just imagine Dudley developing a taste for Quidditch. A good 'missing moment' piece.
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 8/23/2011
This is so so wonderfully balanced between being funny and being absolutely tragic. Which is perfect for the Dursleys, really, because they are always sort of funny in that broadly caricatured sort of way on top of being rather horrific when you think about it.

I have to confess I didn't really spare much thought for what the Dursleys were up to during DH. I was glad they were out of the way - horrible though they may be, we didn't need any more bystander casualties, nor did Harry need anything else to worry about (and of course our boy with his "saving people" complex WOULD have worried if his relatives - no matter how despised - had been in danger). But you make it a point of interest! Both for the entertainment value (Dudley following Quidditch! Good gracious!) and for the deeper character study.

And it IS interesting to see how Vernon goes deeper into self congratulatory delusion ("I taugh' the boy righ' from wrong, I did" - maybe a TINY bit true, if only by providing the WORST possible example!) while Petunia takes a good, hard, honest look at herself.

Also interesting how quickly the Prophet snaps back to decent journalism after years of printing half truths and outright lies! I'm willing to believe the flip-flop of loyalties, but I expect Hestia and Dedalus would've gotten their initial news from the wireless, if not directly from another order member? But for the purposes of the story, the newspaper serves much better.

I really like how you've made Mrs. Evans similar to Lily in personality. She (and Mr. Evans, too) must've died pretty young for Petunia to have been Harry's only blood relative in '81. Do you suppose the loss of their parents might've been another factor in driving Lily and Petunia even further apart? Based on the few lines we have about Lily and Petunia's parents in the books, I imagined Mrs. Evans similarly. What a pity she wasn't still around to give Harry a happier childhood!

"Severus Snape—whom Petunia has last seen skulking around their house during the Easter break of Lily's fifth year at Hogwarts—" - - intriguing little nugget here. I think you should write a story about it!

"that took in mangy curs and angry, malicious boys because she somehow saw the best in them" - - - and brought out the best in them too, I think.

"the wail of a neglected baby shut in a dark cupboard," - - - this undoes whatever sympathy for Petunia that you managed to garner thus far. How COULD you, Petunia?

It does make a lot of sense for Petunia's hatred for Harry to have been a result of her suppressed grief over Lily's death. It doesn't make it all right, but it does make sense.

Lovely, funny, sad, and most of all very thought provoking story!
Eilonwyy chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
Wow... I never thought I would be reading Harry Potter fanfiction, but I read this because I liked your Prydain stories, and I really loved it. It was a wonderful insight into Petunia's character and inner thoughts... JK Rowling had only just begun to give us a bit of Petunia's backstory and humanize her somewhat, and you continued with that theme beautifully here.

And the scene with Vernon, Dudley, and Dedalus getting drunk together was hilarious.
Logospilgrim chapter 1 . 8/21/2011
What a beautiful and profoundly touching story... Thank you so much for letting me know about your latest work, my dearest one :-)
CompanionWanderer chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
I admit - the first thought that jumped out at me was "Why are they still calling him You Know Who in the paper?" So I laughed heartily when you added in Shacklebolt's comment at the end. Old habits die hard, especially in the wizarding world. (Family members and I had a lengthy conversation on the stuck-in-the-middle-ages technology and culture of the magical community while we waited in line in Hogwarts castle at Universal a couple weeks ago; very entertaining, but I digress, and no, not deliberately trying to make you envious!)

Great way to bring some closure, or at least shed a little more light on the fate of the Dursley's, who Rowling dropped quite unceremoniously just when one of them was finally showing something resembling character development. Shame, really - but you've dealt with them in a believable way that kept them beautifully in character. Vernon's rantings are hilarious and spot-on. I do love how you've continued Dudley's arc - sucker for a happy ending that I am. I think, however, you may have a minor mistake in describing Dudley as underage - the legal drinking age in the UK being 18 (16 in a licensed establishment if an adult buys). Isn't Dudley a year older than Harry, or is my memory faulty?

I LOVE that you have managed to show that Snape did receive post-humous vindication. Of course, we can hope and assume Harry would have insisted upon this, but still, it's lovely to see it happen. To see it happen through Petunia's eyes - ostensibly a disinterested third party, though we know better - is an interesting and ingenious way to go about it.

Beautiful, that line from Dumbledore's letter to Petunia, and something one could swear had come straight from Rowling's mind. Perfect in tone, characterization, and truth, and so very Dumbledorish.

Poor Petunia. She's obviously not used to facing unpleasant truths about herself, but you, having done the impossible: making me care, have also instilled the hope that she will let whatever healing has begun here continue to greater fruition.

Well done.
Librasmile chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
I agree with duj. Lovely story. Very human. And I've had a sneaking soft spot for Petunia for a while now. But I didn't see any sign of Lily's supposed kindness in canon either. The cold heart fact is that Lily didn't deserve Severus' sacrifice for her. But I do love your portrayal of Petunia and your solution to where the Dursleys were during the last days of the war.
Zireael07 chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Love love love the story. Brilliant! Awesome! Perfect!