Reviews for Against the Moon
MoonlitStargazer chapter 10 . 3/8/2021
Hello! Your fanfiction is awesome. I'm a die-hard Harry Potter and Percy Jackson fan, I also really like Keeper of the Lost Cities (I don't know if you've heard of that last one) and I really like The Hunger Games. I've read your fanfiction at least three times because it's so good! You should really try to write a book and even publish it.

Your fanfictions are the best I've ever read, mostly because you barely have any mistakes and that the story plot just sucks you in and captivates you like some sort of black hole. Please write some more fanfictions, you are the best!
maeveiluka88 chapter 134 . 3/7/2021
I adore this whole story and I’ll be very sad if it is fully abandoned.

This is the only fic I’ve found that’s comparable to All The Young Dudes, and not because they’re alike (on the contrary, the characterisations, reactions and scenarios are very distinct, which makes it easy to enjoy both as separate worksmuch appreciated), but because the quality and quantity of work is every bit as enjoyable and well written and carefully considered as ATYD.

I do hope you continue, but even if you don’t it has been a genuine pleasure to read thus far.
Theyon chapter 134 . 3/2/2021
I can’t remember if I’ve ever commented on this work before (I’ve read it so many times, it’s hard to remember). Just in case I haven’t, I wanted to say how much I absolutely adore your writing. The characterizations are all amazingly in depth and realistic.
For example, I know this happened a long time ago, but I really loved how you handled the werewolf reveal. Having James and Peter need time to accept Remus felt much more realistic than having him be instantly accepted by everyone would have, and I thought you did a great job showing the nuances of each character’s reaction.
I love how you show Peter’s role in the Marauders, a lot of works set in this era tend to gloss over him or only portray him in a negative light, but the way you write his character feels much more true to canon. After all, Peter wasn’t born Wormtail and in Against the Moon you can really see even already in third year how the foundations create this complex person who is both at once fully trusted by his friends and also able to betray them. And the truly amazing thing is that you do this sort of complex character development for every character.
Every person in the story has their own personality and it really feels like the side characters exist outside the story we see. Dorcas Meadows has her own struggles that are only hinted at in the story, but they change how she interacts with the Marauders over the years.
On the topic of Dorcas Meadows and her (presumed) involvement in the Order, it’s amazing how you manage to showcase the slow worsening of the outside situation through the lens of teenage boys. It’s becoming more and more obvious there’s something wrong in the wizarding world that the older students are aware of and it’s beginning to effect the younger students as well.
I love that Remus is taking Ancient Runes this year, it reminds me of my own language classes. While, thankfully, I didn’t have to use a stone chisel, copying out characters is no fun, but it really is the only way to learn them. I can certainly sympathize with his struggles to get the library textbook, it’s too bad there isn’t a copy on reserve like the defense journals, but I suspect the professor didn’t think of that, I know a lot of my professors didn’t.
sofiaaamattioli chapter 134 . 2/6/2021
ok, this story Is BEAUTIFUL and i love the details, i don't know of you are going to finish It or this Is the end (if someone knows lmk) but i loved It, i loved Sirius and i appreciate Peter, i'd like to see more James and Lily... i hope It eill be continued even if a lot of time has passed
wi11der chapter 134 . 1/28/2021
And here we are. The end of a furious week of almost non-stop reading. What can I say that hasn't already been said?

After finishing The Viewless Winds around the end of 2019, which I would sit up reading well into the little hours, unable to do almost anything else - I couldn't imagine being so immersed in a fic. Cut to a year later, after finishing all the HP books - and I find how wrong I was.

As ever, your writing style is superb, with a truly impressive grasp of the language. Your attention to detail is captivating, extensive yet it never feels like it overstays it's welcome. You describe each setting almost effortlessly it seems, something I wish I had the confidence to do.

Your grasp of the four central characters is superb. Every one of them is clearly recognisable for the adults they would later become, but you've almost expanded on them in many compelling ways. These four boys growing together has been a privilege to witness as you weave their tale.

You answer the problem of creating a seemingly contrived mystery every year by neatly sidestepping it entirely - the plot is driven by character, not the other way around. And the characters are a real joy to follow:

Sirius, railing against the cruelty and bigotry of his upbringing, expressed through a very real appreciation and fascination for the muggle world, and his phenomenal support of Remus. For the first time in his life he can begin to lower his defences, and begin to heal from his life-long abuse.

James, a boy from comparable privilege, but part of such a benevolent family that he has to work on coming to terms with his own prejudices, entitlement and arrogance - but always with a good heart.

Peter, the boy whose family's almost suffocating love for him has lead to a deep-seated need to feel coddled and protected at all times, cemented by his father's imprisonment. He was placed in Gryffindor to try and encourage the best in him - but it seems he could never bring himself to grow outside of his friends' shadow.

And Remus, kind, gentle Remus - who struggles against his own self-loathing for his entire life. A man with so much heart and care for others, that the only one he can ever truly blame is himself. Despite how much he has grown, and how much he has learned to appreciate his friends' love - he will never quite be able to free himself of that loathing, right until the end.

The story of the Marauders will only ever be a tragedy of lives cut short. But in this story, we can be reassured that for several wonderful years, they truly lived, loved, and were loved and accepted themselves. Bravery and Love - I think that will always define both their story, and the cruelty of their final end.

Even your supporting and background characters, particularly Dorcas Meadowes and Betta MacFusty, feel like they're having their own stories in books of their own - it makes the world come alive in such a brilliant way (Also, Betta has had a crush on Remus since first year, prove me wrong). Remus' parents, Professor Meyrigg, the Black family and everyone in between - they all feel distinct and real. That is a remarkable achievement.

There is no doubt in my mind - that this is the greatest interpretation of the early story of Remus Lupin and the Marauders that will ever be written. To my mind, it is as dear to my heart now as the books themselves.

Right - constructive criticism... umm... Slughorn? Possibly presented as too much of an incompetent coward now and then? I mean the man was always driven by self-interest, a desire to spin webs of influence, and by his rampant nepotism, but was also a pretty jolly, cunning and accomplished fellow who held his post and educated witches and wizards for decades. Just a minor thought - and possibly wrong. Beyond that there is really little I can think of, you're bang on otherwise.

I really hope you are well, Spotlight Delight. Thank you for the hours of enraptured reading, laugh out loud moments, genuine delight and so much more. As an aspiring fanfic writer, you are an inspiration to me.
littlesilly chapter 3 . 1/21/2021
i love blacks and potter's relationship
littlesilly chapter 1 . 1/21/2021
Omg this was intense in the first chapter but i already like it
IngaLynn chapter 134 . 1/20/2021
is this the end?
snazzyneon chapter 134 . 1/4/2021
so over the last few weeks i have read through this fic, as im sure you're aware it is longgg my only major critisim is the pacing 800K to get to the start of third year...but i do love the characterization of the marauders. i love how sirius and remus have a special relationship rather than james and sirius sharing everything and peter and remus being on the outside. i really apprecitate that james has flaws thats missing from alot of marauders fics. i will say i was a bit dissapointed that wolfstar hasnt happened :(. when i started this fic i was under the impression that it was abandoned and was glad to hear that you have plans to continue it. i will happily read this as long as you continue to add to it! i do hope that there will be wolfstar in the future. i loved what you did with peters dad in this fic as well. i eagerly await an update :)
Layna chapter 100 . 12/27/2020
When Remus’s mother outsmarts the honorable Orion Black, just by hospitality and polite I’m like
Guest chapter 134 . 12/18/2020
Hey! I was re reading this fic and got to this last chapter with the zodiac killers code. I suppose you've probably heard by now but they cracked it and he misspelled paradise
Anyways, love this fic its one that I have come back to a couple times. Hope you are doing well!
Guest chapter 134 . 12/16/2020
Dear Stoplight,

I know you're taking a hiatus from writing but I wanted to drop you a note to tell you what your story has meant to me.

I suffer from chronic depression which has been on and off for ten years now. It can make my life a living hell, and there have been times where things seem so bleak as to not be worth going on.

Something that never failed to help though was reading your beautiful story. The moments of warmth, courage and friendship would make me cry, smile and laugh, and I would feel grateful and hopeful again.

I don't know if you'll ever come back to the story or not, but for me, it doesn't matter if you don't. What you've already written is so beautiful, powerful and healing and I wanted you to know that.

I hope that wherever you are and whatever you're doing you are safe and well. Thank you for everything.

Clare x
goldeiena chapter 134 . 11/27/2020
I’ve read your entire work and it’s truly amazing. Goes on the top of my list for best fanfictions I’ve read in all time. I am in love with your characterizations of the Marauders-I think you nailed every single one of them even knowing so little about their actual young selves in canon. I especially love your Peter-how you’ve given him a real developed personality and traits, something that is so lacking in other works. I think that is what made Peter’s betrayal so, so awful, that he spent 7 years best friends with them only to betray James and Lily.

The way you describe Remus’s anxieties, fears, and timidness, especially in the beginning is beautiful. You’ve painted such a clear and tangible picture of the kind of person he is, which is so rare. I find that even the best of writers doesn’t always get his struggle with lycanthropy throughout his entire life correctly.

I enjoy your Sirius: loyal, brave, intelligent, but also the similarities he shares with his family that he seems to hate so much. You often describe him as “aristocratic”, which I think is the perfect description of him and his family. I’ve seen so many other works where hes irritating, talks back to the teachers nonstop, and is defiant and cheerful, but the reality is that canon Sirius was not like that at all. I think your Sirius is one of the most accurate portrayals of his true self that I’ve seen.

One thing I do wish is that you fleshed out James more. In some parts it feels like he’s a side character-other than being smart, loyal, and brave, I feel like we don’t get to really know him on the level of Remus, Sirius, and Peter. I would love to know more about him, like in the James from your Missing Moments.

Finally, I wanted to praise the way you write Lupin’s parents. I think other reviewers mentioned this, but Lupin truly had to have some amazing parents to be the man he was. Dorothy is the epitome of the 70s housewife, and I find her love and devotion to Remus so touching because not all mothers are as wonderful as her. I also love Ross. His love for his son shows even through all the hesitations and deep anxieties that he’s had over Remus.

I saw your July 2020 update and I’m so glad you’re active again. I hope that you are healthy and can return back to finish this beautiful piece of work (that in my mind I consider canon) someday.
Summer Rising chapter 133 . 11/19/2020
I first completed reading this in 2019 (I think) and have been popping back from time to time to see if you've been able to update. I adore this story - in many ways it's what I imagined of the Marauder's storyline, and in other ways it's completely unique. I saw the 2020 updates in your profile and wanted to wish you well with your health issues. I also wanted to let you know that lately, not feeling quite up to rereading my HP books with all we've seen from JK Rowling, I decided to reread this instead. You are a wonderful storyteller and while I dearly hope to see you continue this at some point, I want you to know your work brings me great joy as a reader, even in this unfinished state. So thank you for that!
goldeiena chapter 32 . 11/16/2020
I saw another comment already say this, but I wanted to once again emphasize how beautiful your writing is. The part describing Remus going home, falling asleep in hos dad’s arms, his mother’s voice as “low and reverent”... all paint a beautiful picture in my mind. You truly have a gift for storytelling.
5,051 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »