Reviews for Desperado
Nana56 chapter 1 . 8/29/2011
It sure does seem like I've heard of Dan Considine. Maybe not, but I used to read a LOT of history. Mrs. Excitement, that's me. lol

Either way, he was a good man. Probably recognized that Jess was a good man even without the missus having a talk with him. :D A bad man wouldn't have stayed to help.

Loved this fic. Jess is such an interesting character to write for I could crank out 10 before being able to do one for Slim alone. I'm looking forward to the one you're writing on Slim, tho.

Well done. :)
tafizgurl chapter 1 . 8/24/2011
"Bert? You ride with this young 'un a piece, make sure he's on the right road."

Actually, I think they all made sure he was on the right road.
Skye Rutherford chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Jess Harper stealing? "NO!" I said to myself. "No WAY!" Okay, so he's walked a fine line between the right and wrong side of the law, but I've never figured him for a thief. HOWEVER...this story makes it work! I love the fact that he's not out cause harm, he's clearly desperate and lets face it, any of us, no matter how fair and honest we might be, how much we might believe that we'd never steal, no siree, not due to any amount of desperation, once in such a situation as Jess finds himself, we very likely WOULD do something like he's done while in that general store. I admit, I was shaking my head, thinking, 'this just isn't Jess'. But I kept reading, and the things that make Jess the man he is - the decent man he sometimes seems to forget he is - was never really lost after all; he is there, sturdy and lasting as we fans have come to rely on.

I love the interaction between Jess and this little family that has lost so much, yet shares what little they have - a trait that I can easily beleive would have been a part of Jess' own family. The scene where he wolfs down the simple meal Mrs Leary offers him, her observation that this young man has obviously missed too many meals has a quiet sense of keen perception that speaks volumes without pitying Harper - it's an adult bit of drama that isn't overwritten and like the whole of the story, the imagination of the reader is allowed to visualize and hear what is on the written page as well as be invited to join in the emotions of the characters and the circumstances that 'Desperado' offers.

A truly well executed story is this peice, the like of which we fans that enjoy good, mature, character-driven drama (as opposed to the over abundance of juvenilistic fodder where the characters aren't recognizable, those peices that are only there for some prepuscent 'awe' factor), are always aching to find. I'm sure I'll be reading 'Desperado' again while awaiting another good tale from this fine author.
sb4ever chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
Loved this! You write very well. Liked the slight twist at the end.