Reviews for Being Brave
bkwrmnlvnit chapter 1 . 12/20/2014
I'm just going to start off by saying that I haven't read this series in forever, and that I no longer remember most of the canon. That being said, even as someone who is essentially canon blind, I absolutely adore this fic to this day, and I'm so sorry it's taken so long for me to review it after the initial favorite, because this is beautiful.

I instantly love the way you sweep me in from the start with this statement from Jenna on the girls who are all so tragic. It's so fitting for what I remember of the books and such a strong contrast for her to emphasise the tragedy of her own life, because her and all her sister-wives are tragic and tortured, but they're not struggling. This line instantly highlights the fact that they aren't those girls in the books, because in the books, they have hopes for escape and second chances and everything else in the universe. They have a reason to keep fighting. But Jenna and the other girls don't get the freedom of that struggle, because no matter what they do, they will always be doomed to this same fate. Fight all they want, they'll just waste energy on an escape that will never come, because their knight in shining armor will never find them and show up to extinguish the fire and bear them through the flood. They don't have second chances. This is their life, and it always will be.

This bit here about how they're all old books is just so bittersweet and sad. Jenna is absolutely right. These stories are all outdated. They're about a life and a world that came long before the disaster of the present, and a world which can never and will never come back to life. Now, there is no imagination or time to waste or time to live. There's only time to die and question how they got there, and the world is just so infinitely sad because again, there is no struggle and there is no hope because there is nothing left to fight for. A cure will not come, and they will not get their chance to live. They can never forget that.

I love these next couple of lines as well, and the contrast of how all the sister wives behave. Rhine tries to escape, Cecily tries to understand, and Jenna just wishes it was different. It showcases how innocent every single one of them is, and how vastly different they are in their personalities. When faced with the imminence of their own demise, they all respond so uniquely. Cecily pretends it won't come and hides from it and Rhine fights back without any reason to keep trying, but Jenna just accepts it quietly, and that contrast is a great way to demonstrate how each of them is an individual. Even if they are all destined to die, they are still humans and they have their own motivations and their own lives. It's one of the only things they are allowed, but it's still something.

And again, this is so bittersweet. They will never be girls. They will never have a life. The sins of the fathers have ruined their futures, and their world is irrevocably changed. There will be no happy ending, no matter how much they want it.

This imagery, again. This whole piece is so powerful with the descriptions, and this paragraph toward the end is no different. Jenna has made her choice to live in those crazy novels and to allow herself to remember and long for brighter days, and she has made the choice that even if she will die, she can still live in the meantime and she can still love. They have no hope for a future past the age of twenty. But they do have these moments now, and they can have all the passion they want loving each other in the meantime, because the looming threat of what will come cannot take that away. Very, very powerful line. I am seriously blown away.

And this ending keeps that going, because Jenna's point is just so immensely powerful. They are doomed, but they are not dead yet. As they said, they can be brave until the end and fight and love and have each other and they can live right up until they die. Everything is over except for the moments now, but they have their lives still. Even if there's nothing to be saved, they can still fight for little victories until the ultimate defeat. I love how you give Jenna and her sister-wives this ultimate power here, this chance to take control over their destiny. It isn't much, but it is just so heartbreakingly beautiful in its accuracy because she's right. They may not have forever, but they do have time, and it's up to them how they use it.

All in all, this piece is an absolutely brilliant introspective on Jenna. It's heartwrenching and beautiful and powerful and everything that I love, and it has this immensely strong theme of being in charge even when fate has doomed you. The descriptions, the imagery, the characterisation is all bang-on and I love every word of this. Absolutely fantastic work. Thank you so much for posting and keep it up!

Bookworm
Miss. Hops chapter 1 . 12/6/2014
Neat
Schnabel421 chapter 1 . 11/23/2013
This is a beautiful fic, raw and shatteringly truthful. I love how you captured Jenna's voice and thoughts. Can't wait to read more by you.
pumpkin314159 chapter 1 . 6/20/2013
Wow... this was very powerful and well done.
freckledjesus's-horse chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
Wow. This story is hauntingly beautiful. I love Jenna so much, and this breaks my heart to read. Wonderful job.
Crowley's.Darling chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
This was so wonderfully written, you are very talented. I love the way you capture emotion.

"I wish we weren't born with the promise of blood on our lips in twenty years."

Nice use of imagery!

This was my favorite line: "I love them the way I love the sentence before the last of a good book—with terror and happiness and pain."

Again, very well written!
Hope's Voice chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
This is really well-written. It sounds exactly like something Jenna would say!
cutekitty5597 chapter 1 . 1/15/2012
This is so beautiful and sad you wrote it beautifuly and your a good writer
Shiver122 chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
Sad, but absolutely beautiful. I miss Jenna T_T Can't wait for the next book!
worldsgreatest4ever chapter 1 . 8/26/2011