Reviews for Wasteland
Gcohen chapter 17 . 8/2
You did a fantastic job with this one!
SatoshiKyu chapter 14 . 3/17
I'll always maintain that characters are far more important than plot. Maybe that's just how I work, though. You can have literally the best plot in the history of mankind on your hands, but if you don't have at least ONE character for me to really latch onto I can't even be arsed to try reading it.
SatoshiKyu chapter 11 . 3/17
One of the main reasons I think Zombie fiction doesn't account for the effects of weather on the undead is that it would basically mean an infection could never last more than a year in most parts of the world. When summer finally came round, any one of the things caught walking around too often in the daytime (in regions where the daytime temp was high enough) would eventually just fall apart. Especially if it was a wet heat. Like say Florida in the summer, yeah? Once that time of year rolled around the zambies would start dropping like flies-and while having all their limbs fall off might not actually KILL the zombie, it would effectively make them harmless. They can't bite you if they can't move.
Guest chapter 18 . 5/19/2014
I was wholly convinced this story was incomplete since it was not categorized under complete stories in the filter. what a pleasant surprise when I found there was an ending! you have no idea. seriously. and don't worry about the ending. I like that it's open ended and symbolic - relatively safe haven on an island , a fragile beacon of hope in the darkness of the world and heart. thanks for the terrific ride and the time and effort that've been put into this. I really enjoyed reading very much! gotta say all your ANs are quite interesting from a non-writer's perspective, especially seeing how many times the plot was revised. Roger Ebert said, " The Muse visits during the act of creation, not before." and I'd say that is very true for many creative endeavors. keep writing! ciao
Guest chapter 16 . 5/19/2014
well you proved me wrong. I was expecting things to go south and end very tragically. whew, really relieved to have been wrong. it's interesting that your original plan had Hope and Fang teamed up. I was thinking how much more of a punch to the story and characters of Fang and Hope it would have been if Fang had shot and killed Nora in their confrontation then discovered Hope and realized what she'd done. And Hope would have no choice but to travel with his mother's killer since he hasn't got a prayer of making it alone, and Fang would want to take care of him since she'd feel responsible and she has an affinity for young people and of course as an atonement. I think that would have set up a very tense and volatile scenario that would have maybe been a fun challenge to make work.
Guest chapter 15 . 5/19/2014
oh man, the drama took it up to an eleven here. what a roller coaster ride. I enjoy all the characters and "teams" in their own right since each is interesting and deals with different aspects of survival in a zombie apocalypse. that said, I don't feel as excited reading about Team Lucky. Maybe this would be different if Fang and Nora&Hope teamed up somehow and NORA got implemented in a different way or cut out altogether. I just feel that Nora&Hope are in a bit of a NPC status compared to the others' situations.

And bizarrely enough I am currently reading a Lovecraft anthology. I will have to check out your blog sometime )
Guest chapter 14 . 5/19/2014
hmm, plot or characters as being more important. that's a tricky one. I'd say characters since, for me, you can have a run of the mill plot and still have a really good story if you've got super characters that are compelling in some way. people get more emotionally invested with the characters over the grand overarching plotline I think. just look at star wars - wasn't that stellar of a plot but it's the characters that people loved I think. not wanting to open a can of worms on the star wars example, sorry. I am also a big fan of the Vanille and Lightning chapters for the same reasons you are it seems. and if there's a yacht, shouldn't it be named Emerald in honor of a certain Weapon that resides in the sea? I know, wrong game, but it still final fantasy, so it's all good.
Guest chapter 13 . 5/19/2014
whew...another great chapter. I really like the domestic family unit vibe of Serah&Snow and Dajh&Sazh. it's interesting how they just clicked together, maybe due to snow and sazh being in a similar situation of caring for a loved one and just being super all-around people. birds of a feather flock together, right.
Guest chapter 12 . 5/18/2014
there's just something about vanille and lightning that gets to me. consider my heartstrings plucked.
Guest chapter 11 . 5/18/2014
forget The Last of Us, I'd rather play Wasteland any day ;) it'd be pretty awesome to play as all the different characters and take on their story and role and specific plight. you're crafting a terrific story and I am sad that there's only a handful of chapters left. I look forward to more nevertheless even if it's coming to an abrupt end.
Guest chapter 9 . 5/18/2014
funny how I just commented about serah and the very next chapter she and snow show up, heh. at the rate sazh is going dajh is going to turn into one little noble badass (if he is given the chance...). bodhum or bust!
Guest chapter 8 . 5/18/2014
this was a pretty damn awesome chapter just cause of vanille and light interaction - the two crazies leading each other forward hopefully to the point where they come right back around to some form of sane. and I wouldn't be surprised if serah had taken her spring break early and gone to the beach in bodhum to visit her secret boyfriend snow and is now living it up in some island with him and his gang. yep a little sister would go and do something like that and inflict unnecessary mental anguish on an elder sibling P
Guest chapter 6 . 5/18/2014
heartbreaking seeing Lightning's sanity fraying and ultimately snapping in a moment of grief over Serah's death(?). poor Light T_T I was struck by the thought that a gunblade would be the epitome of a zombie slaying weapon. maybe somewhere down the line Light will jury rig a gunblade for herself D
Guest chapter 3 . 5/18/2014
I know this story's been collecting dust or whatever, but feedback is always nice I suppose. this chapter gave me goosebumps and a strong general feeling of unease. it's impressive how you created an unsettling tone of impending disaster. looking forward to the story unfolding.
Ed chapter 2 . 3/28/2014
Is the John Smith thing a Doctor Who reference, or is it just coincidence?