Reviews for That which shines West
anorel chapter 1 . 10/6/2002
it is wonderful how people write stories other than legolas romances or A/L.

very well written. the feeling of what happened that time came to life!
jillian baade chapter 1 . 4/27/2002
The end's good, don't fret over. It is interesting that the brothers really believe it is over after the second kinslaying, and I like how show Elrond as never trusting Maglor, can't blame him, I guess. Once again, terrific story. I really like how you and Deborah are filling in another 'gap' in Tolkein, he tells of the events, but not how the people are feeling and thinking, which is probably even more important then the events, as you can't undertand the events unless you truly know what drove the people.
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 4/23/2002
...

wow.

There were so many things about this that I liked. (Sorry it took me so long to read it... Just kept doing it bit by bit.) Let me go back through and see what particularly struck me.

I liked your Nimloth, in the short amount of time she was there. She seemed very right.

Dior stumbling on Elwing during the battle was just heart-wrenching.

(technically... wouldn't Celeborn be of the House of Elwe himself, since his grandfather was Elwe's younger brother? So Elwing would've been the last of the ruling line, but not necessarily that last of the House? I'm not sure how it all works)

Elwing with her children was just plain chilling. How dreadful... to have the fate of Arda in your hands - or strung around your neck - and to choose the bloodstained path it was already on.

The shifting between the present and memories of the past, when Maedhros first found Maglor, wounded, gave me chills.

Elrond and Elros are always a little frightening... so willing to follow their mother to death, and yet, in the end, clinging to life.

Aaaaah, Maedhros and Maglor, remembering their father and the Silmarils... was really powerful.

That, of course, can be said of the whole story. Very powerful.

Excellent work.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
Very nice. We seem to be under a doom to write the same stories, but I really don't mind since you write them so well, and so differently. Your Maglor and Maedhros make a lot of sense. You have their shared past and traumas bringing them together. Elwing is chilling, and the conversation between her and Maedhros is powerful - they are both so intent on what they want they don't even notice the children whose lives they are ruining. Elwing sacrifices her sons, Maedhros the younger brothers he raised.

I really want to see more of this series!
Joan Milligan chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
*blink* Lame? Lame? Do you hear what you're saying? This story was... the razor's edge, every word cutting to the bone, not one misplaced syllable, not one dissonant line, not one flaw in the entire thing. Lame, is it... darn incredible work of art, more like...
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 4/20/2002
A very nice piece. I like the way that you portray the closeness between Maedhros and Maglor (especially since so many other fics show them as being hostile and hating each other by this point - it's nice to see a different view). And I don't care that Maedhros sent a letter to Sirion in the Sil - your conversation between Maedhros and Elwing is great. He doesn't threaten, but tries to bribe instead! And poor, foolish Elwing, valueing that stupid rock more than the safety of her people, and especially her sons! I'm looking forward to the next installment of your Sons of Feanor series.
LoveTravels chapter 1 . 4/20/2002
Whatever. The ending is not lame. Wow, what can I say, I'm astounded. This is a

really well written fic. Having just finished the Silm for the second time I find both

this and "Of Iron and of Steel" absolutely fascinating. Really. Wow. Thank you for

sharing these stories.