Reviews for DULCE ET DECORUM EST
NemmerlesRaven chapter 10 . 10/29/2012
Another interesting, thought provoking chapter. I like how you brought the discussion of beauty and its objective/subjective aspects into the chapter, though I suppose it only felt natural as preamble to a party. There's no doubt that what we generally view as beautiful varies according to time, place, and culture. Yet when it comes to judgment, personal views also matter, and vary just as much. To what extent should we let these values affect us, and to what extent should we let the narratives inspired by these values affect us? To cast them away altogether is impossible - as a species with storytelling embedded into us, they necessarily inform the course of our lives, especially with something as value-driven as romantic relationships. Yet to measure ourselves up against them continually is no option either. Poor Hermione is trapped at least somewhat in a narrative universe that originates from a patriarchal culture. She must choose a compromise between living within its confines and writing her own story, a challenge that faces everyone.
BlindLittleRain chapter 15 . 8/4/2012
I'm completely heartbroken you aren't completing this story right until the end - you are such a amazing writer, and I think this story deserves thousands of reviews. Your research and knowledge of harry potter is impeccable. And Hermione and Cedric are brilliant. Thanks for wiring this story.
Camilla10 chapter 15 . 7/29/2012
I loved your Cedric and Hermione parallel story. A lot. I normally don't read HP fics but it helped me through the Robsten drama currently unfolding. I am so stupid that it was like it happened in my family, and I could not stand a fic with Bella, because the face of Kristen superimposed itself on it. Cedric and Hemione gave me romance with no troubles. And I was totally captivated by the layers you added to Cedric's somewhat bi-dimensional personality.
Tina chapter 15 . 7/28/2012
Thank you. SO MUCH. I have spent every free minute for 10 days reading Finding himself and Dulce et decorum est, and I love you.
Your characterisation of Hermione and Cedric is fantastic and feels so real. YOu handle their love story - from infatuation to LOVE - so wonderfully and real, much much better then anything in the original books (and so much better then Bella & Edward). I love the way you combine the Muggle world and the Wizarding world. Your world is more complex and more real then the original, again, without contradicting it. I feel I have a much better understanding of Rowling?s characters and world because of you!
Thanks so much for dedicating your time and energy to write this for us. I hope you will continue one day. There is so much story left to tell - Id be happy for more short stories, too! I never believed it could be so compelling hearing a story I know well (from Harrys perspective) from someone elses. But it was, and I can only dream what the rest of the story leading to the last battle and beyond would be. Please come back to write it.
Tina
Carbon65 chapter 5 . 7/24/2012
Once again, the depth of the psychology here is spectacular. You've captured the perfect dynamic of women as virgins and temptresses, and the pressure to be a good girl. Im so glad you continued this.
elizalou chapter 15 . 7/16/2012
I had previously read Dulce et Decorum Est and Finding Himself several years ago when Dulce et Decorum Est was still being posted, and just reread the whole thing from start to finish.

While I'm definitely sad that you weren't able to finish the series before you left fanfiction behind, what's there is so good that I still find myself thinking of it (along with Aorist Subjunctive) as my favorite fanfic series of all time (and believe me, I have read a lot of fanfic).

I love the way you write Hermione as an irrational, emotional girl, and I love the way Cedric's character is embellished and molded into this wonderful three dimensional person, and I love the way you write Harry as a tetchy, stupid teenager.

I know you've said that you've retired from fanfiction, but I still hold out a little bit of hope that someday you'll come back just because I don't want to let go of the people you've created in your stories.

But whether you ever decide to return or not, thanks so much for writing them in the first place.

Cheers!
elizalou
ebdarcy.qt4good chapter 15 . 7/2/2012
AMAZING work! You are truly a gifted writer. Thank you for including info on the ending. It's been a great read :) and I loved the ced/hermione pairing
eileengray chapter 15 . 4/17/2012
Hi,

I rarely write reviews, which is quite selfish of me, I know, but I feel compelled to write one now.

I first read Finding Himself quite a while ago, and reread it this week after it was reviewed by the Perv Pack ladies. As I read, I realized that some of what I'd thought was canon was actually parts of your brilliantly-written story that had stuck in my memory from when I'd read it the first time. Finding Himself is THAT good.

I love your Cedric, your Lucy, and even your disgusting, lecherous Madam Toad. The Order of the Purple Dildo is comic genius, and the beauty of dear Cedric as an eagle almost made me cry. I devoured Dulce, and am truly despondent now that there's nothing left to read.

I hope that your exit from the FF world means that you're writing original fiction somewhere. If so, please let me know where, because I'll buy it! Your stories will stay with me for a long time, and I'm sure that I'll read them again. Thank you for sharing so much of your time and talent!
trixiesnow chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
I must tell you how much I enjoyed Finding Himself and this sequel. Even unfinished, it was entertaining and the two one shots helped with the unknown futures of your characters. I'm mostly an Edward and Bella gal but I definitely ejoyed your Cedric and Hermione. Thanks so much. I'm having trouble finding the rest of your Cedric and Hermione stories. If there is any way of telling us how to get to them, please do so. Thanks again for your words.
93 Diagon Alley chapter 15 . 2/24/2012
This was brilliant, and despite not having an *actual* ending, I felt a very real sense of finality with your notes, so thanks for that (and not just abandoning this fic altogether).

I'm sorry to hear that you've left the world of fanfiction, but it's your choice, so I don't blame you for doing what is best for you. I only hope that one day, you return to us to grace us with more of your brilliance; and if not, at least let us know if you ever publish a novel! I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to read it :)

As for the actual story - I loved Lucy's character. She was awesome. And I want to thank you, sincerely, for the creation of Rose Zeller's character. Yes, I know she was a canon character, but we only know her by name. I've read many fics that feature insight into the history, cultures, and magics of other countries, but only once before have I ever seen a Jewish witch or wizard, and even then, they were an immensely minor character. As a Jew with mostly Eastern European ancestry (and even some British!), I always wondered if there had been any Jewish students at Hogwarts; or even Durmstrang, as that seems more likely. It was refreshing to see someone tackle the existence of actual religion within the magical world, and consider how they may actually have a history of their own magics. I appreciated your consideration for and research into the actual customs and traditions of my people, and that you made the other characters not only tolerant of Rose's background and beliefs, but curious as well. It made this more than just a good fanfiction to me - it made it one I could relate with on a personal level, and one I knew the author took a significant interest in (in terms of getting the facts right and expanding the boundaries of the wizarding world).

So, now that I'm done writing you a novel, I'll just conclude with my thanks, once again. I really, truly enjoyed reading this story and its prequel, and liked that I was intellectually stimulated and challenged by the content. I plan on going on to read the rest of your works posted on this site, and am looking forward to it quite a bit :)

Hope this finds you well!
93 Diagon Alley chapter 11 . 2/24/2012
You gave Kingsley a wife and kids! That makes me so happy. He's one of my favorite characters, and I've never read a fanfiction that cared enough about his character to give him that much. Lovely :)
Ceres chapter 15 . 2/23/2012
I started reading "Finding Himself" two (or three?) years back at Granger Enchanted and was intrigued by it from the beginning. You style of writing is that of a professional and sometimes, in between your "novel" and the real Harry Potter books, I was wondering which event belonged to which story. I enjoyed "Finding Himself" immensely and turned to "Dulce et Decorum" immediately after that. I dimly remember that I read at least up to the chapter with Cedric and Hermione being at the muggle politics thingy, but it stopped after that. Now I came back (while rereading "Goblet of Fire") and finished your story. Thank you very much for putting so much effort and time into these stories, I am sure people appreciate it. It is a shame that you retired from writing FF, but it is not my place to comment on that. :)
WANDA from Spain chapter 15 . 2/17/2012
wow! what a great book! you are such an amazing writer! I cant thank you enough for letting us witness your talent!

I found this, and the previuos one, more interesting than the original!

its a petty you dont have time to continue the work, but i really apreciate you still have this here for us te read it.

you're incredible gifted and i hope you still use this talent now, even if not here.

thank you!
esmecullen24 chapter 15 . 1/27/2012
As sad as I am that this story will never be finished, I'm still grateful that it was started in the first place!

While your plot descriptions at the end for what would have happened don't really make much sense to me (I haven't read harry potter!), there still was a nice sense of closure as I knew from the onset that this story wasn't completed.

So Thank You for taking all of us readers on a wonderful journey, a journey beginning with Finding Yourself. I think that this story may have even been enough to perhaps persuade me into reading the Harry Potter series. Although, I don't think the novels will be the same with Cedric dead!

Once again, thanks :)
vraie chapter 15 . 1/25/2012
Thank you so much for the stories - I stayed up all night reading them in one go. I honestly haven't seen anything like it. I especially liked Cedric's disability - that he didn't get away completely unscathed adds so much to it...

Anyways, thanks for posting the notes even if you don't finish it. It's always peeved me a bit when author's leave stories hanging without a summary or something to finish it off, although I do understand it's their story and they might have just lost interest or is temporarily putting it on hiatus.

So, yeah, thanks so much for sharing.
68 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »