Reviews for The Hogan Zone: The Key of Time
dust on the wind chapter 7 . 9/11/2011
I have to say, this is simply one of the best stories I have ever seen here. Beautifully worked out from start to finish; the older incarnation of one of our Heroes is perfectly in character, and the final chapter so satisfying that it brought a lump to my throat.

Thank you so very much for writing it.

dust...
Goldleaf83 chapter 5 . 9/11/2011
Oh, you do give us a lovely pre-war view of Kinch and Hogan here! Both seem very much in character, a little suspicious of each other since they are strangers but each willing to give the other the benefit of the doubt – unusual enough between an officer and an enlisted man, let alone given the racial difference. The encounter shows Hogan’s essential fairness, and Kinch’s essential cool head and high level of ability, foundations for their later relationship. The episode makes perfect sense as the on-the-spot recognition code that Hogan thinks of – who else would know? One of the tricks to writing speculative fiction is to make the impossible believable to the readers: you do that really well here by using the initial disbelief of the characters and showing the gradual transformation to belief. By the time they believe it, so do we as readers.

You also use wonderful details to build your portrayal of the base Kinch is at: his boring day-to-day tasks and the excitement of the new plane in the hangar, the problematic attitudes of his superiors as they obey orders to carry out the tests that Hogan has ordered. Had to laugh at the palindrome Kinch comes up with as his challenge to his tester. The return to the “present” was almost as big a jerk out of the past for me as for Kinch: your story-within-the-story had worked so well! Then another poignant glimpse of Hogan’s past, ideal for confirming the impossible.

And once James believes, he knows exactly what he has to do… I am really looking forward to seeing how his warning works out.

Great set of notes: that airfield name is irresistible!

I’ll adapt Kinch’s line as he takes leave of Hogan as the perfect assessment of your story so far: “The whole experience … could only be summed up in one word: magnificent.”
Goldleaf83 chapter 4 . 9/11/2011
You build the story from both sides in chapter 4 just beautifully: the disbelief that both the older and younger Kinchloes feel as well as the colonel, though the intuitive Hogan is the one that makes the required leap in logic (or illogic, given the situation!). Also, the affectionate nature of the relationship between Hogan and Kinch is subtly and convincingly suggested in their interaction.

I really like seeing the details of how the radio messages work, which I’ve never had a good sense of – though my grandmother told me shortly before she died that she knew Morse code, had learned it for fun as a young woman. A lot of people must have known, but since most of your readers don’t, it’s fun for us to see the nuts and bolts of the communication process.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 5 . 9/8/2011
I'm extremely impressed with the historical details you worked into this story. It really makes it come alive. I'm also extremely impressed with the back story you've given Hogan. Most of the stories I've read keep him the consummate bachelor or have him be married to various characters he interacts with during the series. I really like the twist you've put on his back story, it really breathes new life into Hogan.

Another great chapter. My only regret is I didn't read it sooner.
jodm chapter 5 . 9/7/2011
This story just gets better and better! You really described the prejudices in the armed services in the WWII era and beyond well, just enough to give a feel for what Kinch might have experienced. Giving Kinch a chance to warn the Colonel-can that possibly change the future and establish an alternate time line?
FERGUS738 chapter 5 . 9/6/2011
The hairs on the back of my neck are still standing up. You have certainly mastered the exquisitly tantalizing yet eerily suspenceful technique of story telling! Rod Serling would be very pleased.

I am enjoying this immensely. I love how a seemingly random storm over an out of the way place like Minnesota brings Kinch and Hogan together for the first time. That chance meeting started everything... or was it chance? Makes one think, doesn't it? Just like the original Twilight Zone did.

You've captured Kinch and Hogan perfectly, yet added enough of your own character development to make this story truly unique as well as making me very impatient for the next chapter.

Thank you for sharing this with us!
Jinzle chapter 5 . 9/6/2011
Wonderful chapter. Can't wait to read more. Coming from a long line of Signal people, your spot on. Love it!
Susan M. M chapter 5 . 9/6/2011
Nicely done, sir. I love the story of how Hogan and Kinch met, and how Hogan was willing to believe Sherlock Holmes. "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true." I look forward to the next chapter.
St PA chapter 5 . 9/6/2011
Hope you are feeling better. Said a prayer for you (if you don't mind). Thank you for the encouraging words to "give it a chance." I have been keeping up with your updates and am enjoying the story's suspense and drama immensely after my initial trepidation. Looking forward to more of what you're "cooking up" based on events in this latest chapter; looking forward especially to how you're revealing the happy ending. The mention of Colonel Hogan having had a wife was an unpleasant shock, to be honest. But otherwise, nice job. Thanks.
Six of Twelve chapter 5 . 9/5/2011
Magnificent chapter. Kinch's pre-Stalag 13 background and his initial meeting with Hogan rings true. I could easily visualize the scenes; it's almost as if I was standing there watching. I like how you got into Kinch's head about all what happened.

I too remember party lines as a kid growing up in the sixties. I remember my best friend's family had one and we'd listen in all the time. Hard to imagine now how people tolerated such a setup.

Your historical research is spot on and I'm thinking that this is your best story yet.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 5 . 9/5/2011
Love this look at Hogan's and Kinch's first meeting. So in character for both of them, and the resulting reassignment of Kinch sounds perfectly reasonable, even with the prevailing racism of the times (and you describe that very well too).

I should've known Hochstetter had a hand in the tragedy (as Kinch's desperate message across time implies). But will Hogan heed the voice from the future?

And it's so sad about Eliza Jane, and Hogan's poignant two-word response to that. I have a feeling that you have a very complex backstory for the Colonel. And you definitely must write the story on how he and Kinch end up together at Stalag 13!
ColHogan chapter 5 . 9/5/2011
Am enjoying this story as to how you have Hogan and Kinch meet and that you have Hogan married before the war. You also show some of the attitude of the times the white officers showed the colored members of the military. I am also enjoying the historical information in the footnotes.
jodm chapter 4 . 9/3/2011
Another great chapter. What a premise-Kinch sending messages to his future self. That line "I know all their fists" . . . except his own definitely gives Hogan a clue. I love the Twilight Zone feel of this tale and am looking forward to more.
Sophia Villo chapter 4 . 8/29/2011
Well, theboysfrombarrackstwo are going to have more ammunition to throw at me, but then what fun would being dragged to court be? I keep hearing the Twilight Zone theme in my head, which I guess is the intent. I'm not usually one for surreal stories in an otherwise ordinary universe, but this is crazy. I can't wait to read more!
ColHogan chapter 4 . 8/29/2011
I was so excited to see an update to this story. Glad you're feeling better BTW. I wonder who this guy is on the radio that Hogan seems to know? I also am enjoying the footnotes and historical information in the footnotes about things I didn't know about. I feel as confused as the older Kinch does. Like another reviewer stated, I also hope these communications will result in Hogan and the others being saved.
57 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »