Reviews for Not a Word of French
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/7/2014
A nice little linguistic adventure, eh?
Hummingbird2 chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
That was an absolutely delightful friendship story, thank you!
MoonRose91 chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
I do so love this story. It fills me with giggly warmth.

And reminds me of the problems I have with a friend of mine who likes to spew off whole paragraphs in a foreign language that I can't speak, forgetting that no one around them speaks it.

Though on the oddity...while I agree it was probably for budgeting reasons (reuse of stock images, insuring that they didn't have to worry too much over sets, or make two of everything), it is also because...Germany is cold.

Very, very cold.

As in on the day it snows, it is the warmest day that week, in the middle of spring. Admittedly, that is probably northern Germany, but for the show's production?

It always comes down to budget and the less they had to reshoot the better, because that saved on film.

...I am a fountain of worthless knowledge.

Back to story.

Lord Rebecca-sama chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Cute story. _ I would probably be with Newkirk after listening to LeBeau speak with British slang XD

Actually, it was always winter in the show so that when the show was rerun, it could be played in any order and they wouldn't have to worry about continuity issues.

~Lord Rebecca-Sama
rutika chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Ditto for what Snooky said.

Interesting portrayal of language problems. Also, when a foreigner tries to use slang, it sounds funny. Hmm, maybe I should point that out to my French students.

Good story.
SupernaturalFlames chapter 1 . 1/21/2012
Lovely story! You portrayed everyone perfectly! :) Nice job!
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
I also try to review everything I read, and here I go. I am trying to catch up on reading in order to nominate, and I must admit, this made me laugh outloud more than once. As someone who has a sister that is fluent in French, plus cockney "blood", this one is extra special. So many funny lines in here, don't know where to start. I actually would have labeled this as humor. Thanks.

konarciq chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
Lovely story. I bet they had a lot of linguistic differences between them! Well done!
Belphegor chapter 1 . 11/24/2011
Well, this is one short, sweet, funny, adorable story :o) I loved the 5 first parts, and the 6th was the icing on the cake. I loved the last image, and I kinda wish it had actually happened on the show :o)

Poor Newkirk and his lack of skill in foreign languages... At least he's well-versed in RP English *and* Cockney slang :D

Anyway, I really liked it :o]
Kirarakim chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Cute story, interaction between Newkirk and Lebeau is always most welcome to me.

I think my favorite of the 6 vignettes was the one about Newkirk and Lebeau trying to practice German on one another. I always try to imagine how the guys learned to speak German and it made me laugh that Newkirk was having difficulties because of Lebeau's accent.

The last story was also incredibly sweet. Of course they don't need to understand French & British slang they communicate in a different way. I love how you illustrated that.
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 8/28/2011
A delightful and beautiful story. Very well done.:)
80sarcades chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
Excellent interaction between Newkirk & LeBeau! BTW, the 'bugger' part made me LOL!
LearnToWrite chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
I thought this story was really cute, great job! I loved the bit where LeBeau was trying to speak British slang; it made my day! I also really liked how you ended each story with 'not a word of French'. Also the bit at the end where they were in the cooler and they were keeping each other warm - I thought it was adorable, and it really shows how strong their friendship really is. There isn't many of these kinds of stories in this fandom section which is a bit of a shame. Keep up the great work!

~ Justalittlehhfan
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
It was great to see this friendship. Even though Newkirk and LeBeau had a hard time understanding each other, they were there for each other when it mattered the most. That's the mark of a true friendship.
hogan macgyver chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
Oh, I can certainly understand why Newkirk was having a hard time (and LeBeau, too, for that matter) and I really laughed at poor Hogan having to deal with them. The Brit Slang scene had me in hysterics since I knew what the words meant. All in all a touchingly funny piece. Great job!