Reviews for Yesterday's Flame
Turtle Kid the Woolgatherer chapter 2 . 6/18/2014
I did not expect an Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfic to surprise and give so many feels, all at the same time. It's been such a long time since I saw that show (a whole year-super long), and I did not know I was still so emotionally invested in the characters, or that someone could make me so. Thank you for writing! I'm off to imagine a happy ending. . . .
PhoenixMageFire chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
Very original. I think you've managed to capture Jet's fractured sense of morals pretty well.
roflZuko too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
I find the premise of this story intriguing. It's a good base to play off of- Jet getting rescued but continuing to be paranoid of his rescuers. After being saved by them like that, I don't think he'd be as murderous.

Firebender Jet is something I have not seen before. Kudos for being original. However, breath of fire is a pretty advanced/unique form that Jet shouldn't be doing on accident. Also, in this story, he hasn't had any instruction in the art, so Azula probably could have swatted him away. Maybe she was too caught in the moment, though. Everyone else was.

The ending, to me, was confusing. I got that Jet wanted to kill Zuko. I did not understand why Zuko thought his uncle was walking down a corridor freely while he himself was locked up, or what Jet was trying to get at about Iroh. Also...

Jet! Are you INSANE, man? That's the /last living heir/ to the throne of the entire Fire Nation! Ozai's precious daughter is /dead/- It doesn't matter that Zuko is estranged and shamed and whatever else- You should leave him alone so your country can at least try to use him for leverage. Kill him off and Ozai's line is ended, meaning he's going to be just as enraged over Azula's death with no reason to hold off on unleashing it. Things are going to get nasty.

Also, I don't buy Zuko being in the dire straights he seemed to be in the last paragraph. So what if he can't make fire for some unexplained reason? He's had years of training where Jet has had not. He could probably use his meditation breathing practice to make sure Jet's fire wouldn't flare. He demonstrated control over his meditation candles (being able to lift and lower them with a breath). On any other firebender, I would say that wouldn't work. But Jet doesn't know what in the heck he's doing. He doesn't even understand the breath/fire principal.

And again, he really shouldn't be attempting kill off the valuable hostage /his kingdom/ has now. Especially not when Kuei the Flustered and Ineffectual is taking the throne to square off against an incensed Ozai.

Love that Smellerbee and Longshot were featured in this. They need love too. Also, I like how they reason things out and try to help Jet cool his heals. Maybe they'll prevent the unfolding catastrophe in that prison room. Jet's either going to kill/maim the ultra valuable prisoner, or the ultra valuable prisoner is going to kill/maim Jet by playing havoc with his weaker fire control.

I did like the story (including poor Aang having to listen to Sokka's chipper reasoning), but the ending confused it for me. Please keep up the good work and happy writing.