Reviews for A Bit of Education
gandalf chapter 1 . 12/7/2014
I'd like to say something about that Flatland/Twilight fic. For a start, in Flatland women are straight lines.
videodrome chapter 1 . 6/30/2013
Very nice! Your nadsat is spot-on, and you've definetly got Alex in-character. [A very tricky thing to do.] You've managed to make Melody admired by Alex without turning her into a Mary Sue, and for that, I am grateful. Too many ACO fanfics with a main female OC turn the girl into a perfect Mary Sue, and that always turns me off the story. I love your characterisation, and I'll say it a thousand times, your nadsat is flawless! I'd never be able to write a whole story in Alex's POV, strictly because I'd have major issues with the nadsat. p

But anyway, brilliant story, and I can't wait to read more from you! :)
Weasley chapter 9 . 6/6/2013
AH! So we're doing the book Sonietta after all! It's about time she got referred to...considering raping children is NEVER good, even though the author himself tried to make it sound funny (and FAILED).

Thank you for another lovely update. Yet another angle we're covering at last, and another to study further in this fanfic review.

Me
TheWeasleyBoys chapter 8 . 1/20/2013
So sorry that it's taking me SO long to comment...real life events are putting all sorts of doubts in my mind about just...well, anything and everything these days. I can explain it better in a private message (or two, or six) if you want...anyways, kinda good that they're getting a chorus together. Brings back a few memories of high school on my side. I just hope it's okay that I get a little teary-eyed over Freddie being the dead one. D:

Weasley
Pet Archer chapter 7 . 5/25/2012
I liked this chapter a lot. And with Jaydeep and the Droogs' costumes? - Hilarious! Grey suits, suspenders - and swim goggles? Jaydeep's two Droogs - a blond Briton, and a tall Indian - with green and blue-dyed hair! These are Hal and Suraj.

I imagine seeing the three - and how ridiculous they look! But, as Alex explained: Maybe they are using them to protect their eyes from Shaika members Len, Rick and Bully, after having blinded poor Sonya with bleach/drain cleaner.

And Hal is so stupid, he wants Alex's autograph! I was laughing when I read this! He really is stupid! It's as if Alex is a celebrity of music and/or film/t.v.!

A NOTE: I would have to reread the chapters regarding Harmeet and Sonya. I got a bit lost in Alex's explanation to Melody about that - before she came upon Jaydeep and Friends at the Duke of New York Pub.

Also: Alex is trying to keep his evil past from being revealed to Melody. I'm guessing he'll probably tell her - but isn't ready to do so, yet. But Jaydeep and Suraj are close enough to tattling on Alex.

Alex will have to soon come clean with Mel, and tell her about his past.

Audience Participation: I think composer Burt Bacharach would be ideal for this music class. I'm into the 'Oldies'. At least, Bacharach is still living. And I like his music. "Wives and Lovers" is one of my favorite compositions by him.
Pet Archer chapter 6 . 5/25/2012
Hey, Nova Sinfonia!

How are you, dear? I know it's been a while, being busy with work. But I still love the "Clockwork" fictions!

I read this when you first published this chapter. I want to check out Chapter 7, to catch up. But I won't dwell too much on this one - especially with the 'Viddy Well' part with what Alex's new Droogs (Len, Rick, and Bully) did to that helpless devotchka with the bleach! Awful! At least, Alex didn't share in their 'so-called' radosty, as he, too, is (damned) repulsed by their deed. Good to see he's changed from that!

Also: Melody and Alex are getting a bit close to each other. Melody joins Alex outside, alone, where both of them govoreet. Alex later caresses Melody's silky black hair/voloss; and gently holds her chin, and draws her face toward his (!) - but no kiss!

Alex invites her to join him when he goes over to meet Pete and Georgina to visit the 'Greg veck' and his 'Word games'. Melody wants to go with Alex. She leaves him, blowing Alex a kiss - and giving him a wink! That's a first! - Alex is often depicted here in these fanfics as the 'winker'!

But, there is drama, again, when Melody drives up in her car(This girl can drive, too!), tracking Alex down. She tells him to come in, and join her as younger brother/Droog-wannabe Jaydeep ran off. He's likely getting into trouble with his Droog members.

All interesting details for this chapter - except for the 'torture' part - UGH!

Moving on to Chapter 7 to 'viddy' more...
Dan Sickles chapter 7 . 5/25/2012
This was a great chapter! Very few stories really make me laugh, but the dialogue between Melody and Alex was hysterical! Just hearing the word "kvetch" in this world was a scream. And Alex explaining that nadsats are not American gangsters!

On the other hand, now and then there's a breathtaking moment in your stories where you capture the feeling of Anthony Burgess' original novel perfectly. Like where the boys in the street are fighting, and they make that jeering remark about "not hearing Blue Jay sing. Nor do we care to." That's exactly AB's kind of nastiness, not that I like it, but you capture it perfectly.

I can honestly say I don't know where this story is going, but I like it a lot. I hope things work out well for Melody and her family. I also hope they get revenge for poor Sonya!

PS My musical vote is for Duke Ellington!
TheWeasleyBoys chapter 7 . 5/23/2012
I'd write a comment about how this latest chapter worried me, but instead I feel like mentioning how right Jaydeep might really be and how Melody's efforts just might be pointless in the long run. I dunno. Some stories are just making me horribly pessimistic right now, as well as not trusting this 'protagonist' as far as I can throw the malenky skitebird. Maybe I'll be better soon, hopefully. In the meantime, I'll see you and raise you Freddie Mercury.
TheWeasleyBoys chapter 6 . 4/12/2012
...Is he describing the way this other girl was blinded? Sonja, if I remember right, or is she in some other story? D:
Dan Sickles chapter 6 . 4/6/2012
Oh my! I really felt for Alex in this chapter. You do such a good job showing how his new feelings are so tender and warm, and then unexpectedly the horror creeps in when he visist Len and the droogs at the dear old Korova!

I have to say that the slow build up to what those bratchnies did to that poor girl really made it most chilling and effective!

As always your Nadsat is superb and the writing really flows, too. Can't wait to see what happens next - will little brother fall in with the wrong kind of malchicks? Will Alex save the day?

Oh, one question book-related came to me. When Len and Bully are telling their story, they seem surprised Alex feels sick. Do they know he was once conditioned, and then "cured" of the conditioning? I was always very curious about that!

Can't wait for more of your like Nadsat Symphony!
TheWeasleyBoys chapter 5 . 3/22/2012
Why does the phrase 'see through a glass darkly' suddenly come to mind? What does this Jay know that we don't? And is this Sonya A Sonietta, or THE Sonietta? Hope I can find out asap,

Weasles
BlackMambaaa chapter 5 . 3/20/2012
Hahahaha I liked Jaydeep! Very amusing character :) I couln't help but picture Shazad Latif from Spooks though, when I pictured him :) Interesting dinner, seems Alex does have a bit of competition there :P I wonder if Melody is attracted to Alex?
BlackMambaaa chapter 4 . 3/20/2012
HHAHAHAHHAHA that was the best! When Alex said 'Which of course is next to Egypt' hahahah! Your description of the school reminded me of the school in Fame. The good, 80's film and tv show Fame, not the crappy new remake :P I can't wait to see what happens when Alex goes over to Melody and Harmeet's parents house for dinner! This is a fantastic, intriguing story!
BlackMambaaa chapter 3 . 3/20/2012
Another interesting chapter! I loved the line Alex said to Pee at the end! Sad about Harmeet/Harmony's girlfriend though :(
BlackMambaaa chapter 2 . 3/20/2012
This is great! I'm really enjoying this! PetArcher reccomended your story to me after she read my ACO fanfic :) You're a brilliant writer, you've captured the character of Alex so wonderfully! I love the character of Melody so far and can't WAIT to read more :)