Reviews for Tis no imprisonment
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
This was a nice story! Well done!
I don't understand the 'it's not a punishment, it's a release' still I'm afraid. It's still confusing to me.
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
Fascinating. I had never before considered that aspect of Feanor's stay in Mandos' halls. His voice bleeds from the page: arrogance, eventually, tempered with insight and wisdom after his own fashion. Very, very well-done.
Lady Almaren chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
I know I'm really late but I still feel the need to comment on this wonderful fic. This is a lovely portrait of Feanor and of the Valar as well. Feanor is one my favorite character in the Silmarillion and it's nice not to see him portrayed as a psycho. :)
RavenLady chapter 1 . 2/21/2004
So instead of simply punishing him, the Valar were teaching Feanor. Yay for eloquently written, moving and refreshing new interpretations of the Silmarillion. This is quite a contribution to the fandom. You also capture Feanor's "voice" beautifully.
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 7/14/2002
I am not entire sure what this means, but then again I am not one to grasp the deep stuff. What is the release?
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/14/2002
I am speechless... this is so deep and profound. I am more than happy that Feanor learned and gained insight of Arda and everything. and I like very much the idea that one thing he( or we ) considered a doom and curse is actually a gift.

Makes me think of Death as gift of Iluvatar..

Makes me think of our own mortality as human being in real world is just like in the Tolkien's world. Nothing is eternal

yet beneath the sun all things must wear to and End at last. ( legolas, LoTR book 1)
Shauna1 chapter 1 . 5/12/2002
" And I was granted sight and knowledge of all that is fair and fades and all that is fiery and cools. All that

seeks to last and will not and all that seeks to change and will never, and of the crumbling of

bodies and the weariness of spirit, and of the fire that will turn into ice. "

That is absolutely beautiful. The idea... the imagery... beautiful.
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/1/2002
Amazing writing. You captured Feanor's character well and introduced an interesting aspect of the immortal.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 4/23/2002
I'd always thought of Feanor's spirit being confined to the Halls of Mandos until the end of Arda as a punishemnt - this is a nice twist, demonstrating that the "punishments" that Eru and the Valar administer can be mercies when seen in a different light, and are ALWAYS intended to benefit the one receiving them. And what a surprise to see that even Feanor is eventually humbled. Nicely done!
Xi-feng chapter 1 . 4/22/2002
"What was death to Feanor, who had once defied the very makers of Arda, and what was their decree to him?" That has to be my favourite line in here, summing up the mighty Feanor in a single sentence; his pride, his power, his majesty and his fiery spirit.

Love it.

At first you make us feel so sorry for him, the way you describe his frustrations perfectly fits what he would be feeling. But finally the gift given to him is realised, and as he begins to understand, so do we. A very fitting fate for the mightiest of the Eldar - well done, and thank you _
Finch chapter 1 . 4/22/2002
Yes. This was exactly what Feanor needed, and what the sentence 'neither has his spirit left the Halls of Mandos' should be made to mean. Very good.
Neville's Girl chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
I can't believe there are so few reviews for this! This is great!
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
Hmm...I guess in this story going to Mandos for eternity is the closest an Elf can come to being mortal, which is what Feanor desires - to burn until he is consumed.

Nemis chapter 1 . 4/21/2002
Release in the afterlife... I like that... And FĂ«anor being broken only after his death... Finally finding what he has been looking for, realising futility, the inevitability of time...

Just made me go philosophical... Tribute goes to thee...