Reviews for All You See Is A Trip
FlaFan chapter 1 . 2/4
Perfect follow to the episode, and nice to see a focus on Dr. Morton.
catlover2x chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
Love this. I always admired this show (and other Jack Webb shows – I know, shoot me, Dragnet is full of hilarious unconscious humour) for the racially diverse casting. I also loved how Dr Morton was allowed to be a prickly character. It was a brave choice. I think this is completely in character for him. Even though he could be tactless and too quick to judge, he did have an open mind when it came to owning up to his mistakes. I admire how he faced it head on and didn't make excuses. Very well executed story.
Washingtonmyhome chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Just a nurse? Is that what Doctors really thought about nurses back then? Dr. Morton really needs to think about his attitude. I'm glad, though, that he realized his mistake. But why do we have to learn these things the hard way?
JimiJamesHaze chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
I don't know what more I can add to this that hasn't already been said.

A great piece of writing and although I wasn't a Morton fan mainly because of his attitude and lack of bedside manner, this story makes me respect him so much more.

Thanks for reminding us all of the timely message he had to tell us.

Awesome!
HeroWorshiper chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Thought provoking work here. Nice tag to the episode.
Neemps chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Excellent short story! What a nice change to have a story about Mike Morton! Really cool.
Dianne chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
You hit the nail on the head with this one. With Morton only seeing what he wanted to see he judged incorrectly. There's all sorts of things like this, even, I wonder, how many pretty women or handsome men get better treatment in the E.R.? I know that's not supposed to happen but I bet there are incidences where it does, it's just people's preferences. There have been behavioral studies done that indicate attractive people get jobs easier etc too which is super sad but the truth. Wow, this story really gets me thinking. Thanks for sharing it.
Jelsemium chapter 1 . 8/31/2011
Excellent story! Love seeing things from Morton's point of view. I don't think there are many Morton stories out there. I particularly liked him kicking himself for treating Billy the way other people have treated him.
Johrochcam chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
This was such an enjoyable read. It was nice to see a story told from Mike Morton's perspective. And it's a lesson we all need to remember from time to time...Thanks for sharing it :)
Ronda Sexton chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Nice to see an introspective view of Dr. Morton.
starlight guardian chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You would think that we had learned our lesson, then and now. But I still hear fellow professionals make judgements without knowing the whole story. I hope your story causes someone to think and to change. The rest of us can appreciate your talent.
Bamboozlepig chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Great story, Kel, love how you got inside Morton's head so well. Definitely love the exploration of how we all have prejudices, even though we try hard not to, and we can all make snap judgements against someone just by how they look on the outside. That particular episode was a good little lesson in morality, since Morton couldn't look beyond the kid's appearance and that of his friend to see the bigger issue, and Morton, of all people, should have been very aware of being prejudiced. Love this line:

"But for me, the stripes on my sleeve were a relief—visual proof that I wasn't worthless."

You drive home the fact that Dr. Morton faced an enormous amount of racism and prejudiced due to his color, and it was his service in the Navy that made him feel worth something. Thought that was a very interesting peek into his character right there. Everyone is often so focused on making Johnny the target of racism and prejudicial remarks, when Mike Morton likely suffered through the same things Johnny probably did, if not more. You've captured Morton's voice beautifully in this, I'm very glad you wrote it, it's a well-written one-shot that speaks volumes.
Ariane Rivendell chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Oh, Ka-CHING! That was sweet!

LOVED how you got into Morton's head - wonderfully in character. Really felt his doubt, too.

The insights were delightful - equating navy uniforms and rank to self-worth and being able to relate to the people around you, his own life experiences and assumptions.

And yeah - totally understand the whole prejudice thing, too. Both seeing and being subject to it, but also actively working on fixing it, too.

Fabulous story that touches on so many layers. Brava!
Ginger S chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
Wooo Hooo! another GREAT STORY and maybe the first one I've read that is centered around Dr. Morton! I love the way you got into his head and how he read Dixie and Kel. We saw their reactions and body language through his eyes and that allowed us to share his feelings. GREAT JOB on this short!
The Delirium Threemen chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
AWESOME! A Dr. Morton story. I loved how you got right inside Dr. Morton's thoughts on this one because at the end of the episode you could tell he knew he had judged the patient by his appearance. Great take on what those thoughts he had were. AND anyone is capable of making those types of judgements based on how a person is dressed. It's really the person beneath the clothes that counts.

Wonderfully done