Reviews for The Basin of Fire
Cold Soda chapter 1 . 4/20/2012
Thank you so much for sharing this. I had a LOT of problems with Drakengard 2's story. It was mainly with Nowe, but I'm not going to open that can of worms right now. I think they handled Caim and Angelus well, but Manah... Manah, Manah, Manah. I admittedly never really liked her, at least her Drakengard 2 depiction. She was almost interesting, and then Nowe went into her head and beat up her trauma before it could go anywhere.

I love what you've done with the relationship between Caim and Manah. Caim truly reads like a man who has lost everything. And few people write Manah with such deep psychological scarring. Surprising, since it's really all she has, but I suppose that's fandom. And the ending. Just. Perfect.

Favoriting this as well. I hope you continue writing for this fandom. (But no pressure. :P) I dare to say what you've written has surpassed the source material. Everything about it is just perfect. You've certainly inspired me to get off my butt and write for it.
GinkoToothed chapter 1 . 11/19/2011
/Perfect./ I've always wondered myself what transpired between the two after Caim took her under his wing, because we were only given such splintered hints, fragments in the game of what happened during the 18 years.

I feel you captured both perfectly, specifically Manah. Too many folks try to "develop" her and it never works, because the majority of her character make-up highly revolves around psychological issues and god-possession. I feel you played off of that wonderfully! (I agree, the whole "HEY I WENT IN UR BRAIN AND CURED UR ISSUES" scenario was ridiculous and killed the whole game's tone for me. )': )

Awesome job!
VVolf chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Not a big Manah fan myself (preferring Eris myself), but a good story doesn't necessarily have to suit our own personal preferences.

And holy crap. This is good. I mostly enjoyed the darker tone that defined the Drakengard at the beginning (that sadly the second game lacked) - vengeance, selfishness, murder, mercilessness.

Caim, on the outside, looked as if he was punishing Manah, but I couldn't shake the feeling that somewhere deep down, he believed that Manah could change/atone. Otherwise, why didn't he just kill her when he met him again, if only hatred dominated his heart? And I'm really grateful to see it in this story (especially the part where he would rouse her from her nightmares. Why not just her suffer? And wear ear muffs instead XD). That's not to say there wasn't a desire to take revenge on her, but every time Caim spoke, no matter how spiteful and condescending he phrased them, there was always an edifying note in them that screamed, "watch what you've created. Weep, feel sorry, and make up for them."

"...destroying the seals. This is not redemption. This is not atoning. But it is right." I have to say this sentence struck me as very powerful.

Funny how bringing the world to chaos again could result so differently, to Manah and to Caim. A shame that we probably won't see a Drakengard 3.

Adding this to favourite. It's stories like these that make me grateful I'd play the game, and hseeing authors doing the game justice. Very nice piece of work. I hope to see more Drakengard stories from you in the future.
Vox chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
Pure. Fucking. Headcannon. No, screw headcannon, pure fucking cannon! Normally, I dislike stories that try to develope Manah. Manah is Manah, and she is my second least favorite charact (only nowe beats her in that area). But this. This! This is pure genius. Pure epic beauty. I love it. I love how you got their characters spot on where most people fail at that. Amazeing. Truely and purely. I love you for makeing this.
James Birdsong chapter 1 . 9/6/2011