Reviews for Kung Fu Panda: Book of Changes
Kitty9167 chapter 35 . 1/18
please update again soon I love this story sooo much. you've done a great job and I can't wait for Tai Lung to encounter his dad again. love that little red panda hahah
Aronim chapter 19 . 1/16
Well, good chapter, though I keep really hoping for that arrogant ass of a tiger to get his ass handed to him. If you end up validating his arrogance, I'll be disappointed. Not that that has any influence on you, I guess, but had to say it.

And why does it seem that Crane just has to get hurt badly in every single KFP fic I find? It's getting somewhat old.

Well, rant over, your writing is solid and the plot is great. And pretty balanced in tone and that is a big compliment. Taking a, all things considered, lighthearted and bloodless source material and taking it into something like this is hard to do right, often either falling flat or becoming schizophrenic in tone but you handle it pretty well.
Aronim chapter 16 . 1/15
This was a great chapter and Po is being quietly awesome here. Good job.
Aronim chapter 14 . 1/15
I really, really want the bad guys to have a rude awakening about just what they are up against at some point. I can't stand their constant condescending remarks about the good guys.

Good chapter. Just one thing, you don't quite get across just how big the riverbed is, it has to be a big gorge for the Kung Fu Masters to act like they do, otherwise it should be as simple as "grab kids, jump", particularly for Tai Lung.
Aronim chapter 12 . 1/15
I really like this story. I don't have the kind of really strong reaction to Tai-Lung, as I neither hate nor love him and don't mind him dead or redeemed. However, I have to say, I'm not sure you quite hit his character perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I think you are writing a very good character when he interacts with Po, but it doesn't quite hit me as necessarily Tail-Lung, the way Po and all other characters pretty much feels like themselves.

Then again, having Tai-Lung display anything but anger, smugness or fear is kinda out of canon territory, so I guess you almost can't avoid having that character feel a little off, when there is no reference for any positive emotional states. Or for regret.

Still, great chapter.
Aronim chapter 11 . 1/15
Oooh, backstory. Well, middle-story.

Oooooh, world-building. Nice touch to use the concept of "wandering warrior". Great chapter.
Aronim chapter 4 . 1/15
Small note. I'm pretty sure you wrote "few or no survivors" in the bit in the previous chapter with the ruined village. You might want to make that the more certain "no survivors", because that both makes more sense and is what is said in this chapter.
Aronim chapter 2 . 1/15
D'aaaw, I love Po's father, he is such a lovable goose.
Aronim chapter 1 . 1/15
This is a promising start.

Though if there aren't at least one, preferably more, of scenes where these arrogant and apparently ignorant invaders realize how completely wrong they are about the abilities of the Kung Fu Masters, then I'll have to say you are taking this far from canon. I'll just have to wait and see.
Ninjatiger chapter 35 . 1/3
Are you going to continue?
Ninjatiger chapter 19 . 1/3
Poor mongoose
Just kidding he deserved it:)
Blazemane chapter 35 . 12/17/2013
I still don't understand how that semester gave me so much trouble...

Hello! The ending of this chapter hasn't gotten me anxious. I don't like it when the heroes of a story end up tricked into wasting their time and find themselves unable to be around for the villain's big move, so I really hope that they can catch up. But there is certainly a possibility that Vachir's group, who weren't written into this chapter, have seen what's going on separately and are prepared to take on Akshatha. Actually, I think that would be incredibly interesting-seeing the Anvil taking on Akshatha's army all alone for a long time and thereby being the only thing that stands between him and his goals.

Whatever your plans are, though, I don't want to dissuade you from them. And I hope it's soon that we get to see the next thing that happens. But, of course, as I've been gone for months, myself, I understand the need for time. And it will be best for the story, anyways, for you to take as long you want.

I can't remember if I've talked about this in previous reviews, but I've been mulling over this same question you had Tai Lung pose for himself in this chapter. If he's not the Dragon Warrior, what is he? It's one thing if Po and the rest can help him get to the right side of things, in general, but that would still leave the question of what he would do with a redeemed life. I don't think you've actually left the story without any hint of answer. Tai Lung did seem to be living a peaceful life helping Mr. Ping in the kitchen (and you even gave him the noodle dream). Not to ask for any spoilers about the end of the story, but, maybe you're planning on expounding on all of that with the conclusion of the story?

"...and the only thought that came to the panda's mind was *this is where I started running last time.*"

Ha! You've got quite an ability for changing tone of voice with your third-person narrator to express the personalities of the individual characters. Neither the overall battle nor the implications of Tai Lung's rage seem as grave when it's Po we're seeing those two things through, and it's a welcome relief after the severe picture that the you lay out when you're showing things through Tigress' viewpoint.

Two things about Tai Lung's rage: firstly, his killing (at least one soldier) here seems really dark. That's really hard for me to sift through when I compare him and the Furious Five to Vachir's army, because with the rhinos-being an army rather than a band of martial artists-killing the enemy actually becomes a standard activity once the battling begins, and I don't personally sit back and condemn what the Anvil is doing. Is it different for the characters who know Kung Fu, simply because they've had the years and years of advanced training to know how to disable an opponent without killing them? Because, again, Tai Lung does seem to be very much in the wrong in that moment.

Secondly, is it possible that Tai Lung's blind rage would actually make him less of a threat to Akshatha than he would be if he was thinking clearly? For one thing, the Furious Five throw out the idea in this chapter that, when the time comes, the best thing would be to fight Akshatha together rather than one on one, and it'd be hard to work as a unit if Tai Lung wasn't actually thinking. But secondly, in a more general sense, I wonder if, with all of the training he's had, he wouldn't be able to use it more effectively if he remembered to be more of a trained warrior and less of an animal?

Whatever happens, I can't wait for the final confrontation with Akshatha, whoever might and might not be involved in it. Of course... maybe you don't actually plan to have a final confrontation with him. But I think it would be awesome.

Great writing, as always! And (an early) Merry Christmas!
FashionablyHospitable chapter 18 . 11/27/2013
Akshatha?...

Isn't that a girl's name?
FashionablyHospitable chapter 12 . 11/26/2013
Just a panda and a hermit. Won't be much trouble.

And the tiger, well, if she brought friends she's clearly not a threat. They're easily dispatched.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
FashionablyHospitable chapter 8 . 11/26/2013
Oh.

Oh dear.

Well, can't say I didn't see this coming.