Reviews for Kung Fu Panda: Book of Changes
shreyashi1423 chapter 38 . 7/16
It has been a great plot so far but it lacks a bit of... words from the enemy but it has been great so far a I wish u would post the chapters a bit faster because it has been a long time and I really want to know what becomes of Ti lung. So I guess it would be alot to ask but can u post the next chapter a bit faster please?!
North Hayward chapter 38 . 7/8
Oh hoho man! Someone in that fortress is gonna GET IT from Vachir! Let me just say that I loved him in this chapter, and the way you portrayed how situations and stress just kept building, with messengers and updates increasing with more and more pressing info was great! (You know it's getting real when even crane has raised his voice) I really felt the pressure building. And it all led to Vachirs decision to go when it was revealed that not only was the emperors Entourage not moving but Yaun was wasting his time building and execution scaffolding for Tai Lung (what an idiot! I'm thinking he is on the Tigers side). And when he was just like "We're leaving! Yuan be damned!" I was just like "oh hell yeah Vachir! You da bomb!" And when he threatened the pig (whom I found hilarious) saying "you'd better hide cause Yuan's and idiot", yeah that was great!

And Tigress saying she'd help Po! Wow! Man she is great in this story, practical and realistic but thoughtful, containing a real soft spot for her friends. And why oh why do you keep on making Vachir allude to something about Tigress (probably her dad) but never completing the thought! It's really killing me!

(Oh and the emperor has surrounded himself with idiots)

Please make the next chapter get here faster! (Pretty please!)
rioludoodle chapter 38 . 7/2
So dramatic. XD

I can't express how much I love this story. :) Fantastic chapter!
Berserker88 chapter 38 . 7/2
It's like a holiday every time this thing updates, you know. Rare, but a very special occasion indeed. :)

This continued mistreatment of Tai Lung is just sickening. Glad Vachir at least got him to join in the battle, even if that could have some negative repercussions for him down the road. Nice that Po finally gave Tai the whole secret ingredient speech, or tried to at least. I have a feeling he's probably going to end up learning that lesson on his own.

I also have a feeling that things are really going to get heated up in the next chapter. Can't wait, but I know I'll have to. :P
DOGROCKER12 chapter 38 . 7/1
Yes! Finally you updated! I spent 3 hours reading this but it was worth it! Amazing as usual! Can't wait till the next update.
Tusu1 chapter 37 . 6/22
This is the best fanfic I have read in a long time. The characters motivations are amazingly well developed, better than in much published fiction. I love it! Update soon, please! I need to know what happens next!
MeloDenesa chapter 37 . 4/12
I would like to compliment you Ilien, that this fanfiction, by far, imo, the absolute best Kung Fu Panda fanfic on the entire site. And even though you currently update at such a slow pace of once every year, it still comes in satisfyingly long chapters. I don't want to have to rush you, but just please give us a sign(hopefully every month) that you are still alive. Thank you for writing this fic, i love it, it is so re-readable and i hope you'll not abandon it. Also yea, i agree with that other reviewer, this fic's storyline is way more satisfying than kfp3.
A Reader Person chapter 37 . 3/22
GOOD PROSE?! PROPER PORTRAYAL AND FLESHING OUT OF CANON CHARACTERS?! WELL-WRITTEN AND INTERESTING OCS?! AN ACTUALLY COMPELLING PLOT?! FIGHT SCENES THAT ACCURATELY PORTRAY THE SKILLS AND POWER OF THE CHARACTERS AS SHOWN IN THE MOVIES?! ACTUALLY GOOD WORLDBUILDING?! BELIEVABLE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?! A REDEMPTION ARC THAT ACTUALLY WORKS IN A NON-LUDICROUS MANNER?!
ALL THIS IN A KUNG FU PANDA FIC?!

My god. I'm in fanfiction heaven. All those countless hours of scrolling through mediocre to bad fictions that failed to grasp the motivations of characters and the themes in the films just made it more rewarding when I finally found this. I stayed up all night reading this, and I haven't done that for anything in a long long while.

Thank you incredibly much for writing this. It's the sequel to KFP2 I wanted. 3 was a really good movie - I'd honestly rate it as better than the first one, which is impressive for a third instalment in a franchise - but KFP2 was literally the perfect sequel in my mind in that it was better in every way than the original. KFP3 doesn't really measure up to it. Makes a good stab at it, but doesn't manage the near-impossible task of overcoming the success of 2.

In my opinion, however, this fic does just that. Of course it has an advantage in that it can portray so much more detail with no regard for running time like the movie had to, and it can continue to show the more dark elements which I so enjoy that KFP3 couldn't to retain its mainstream appeal, but in spite of all that I just enjoy it far more than I did the movie.

I've gotten sidetracked. Thank you very much for writing this, and I hope that you'll be able to complete it. You've given me the Kung Fu Panda 3 I hoped to see in theatres, and most certainly received an attentive reader.
RobinLost chapter 37 . 3/21
This story is made of awesome. I really hope you intend to continue. You've done a great job with the plot, and having all these loose threads. Part of me really wishes tai lung gets to return to the valley and joins Ping in the noodle shop, but with the set up so far I can't see how that could happen so in my imagination Tai is going to save the day, get pardoned, and retire to the valley.
Velgamidragon chapter 21 . 3/19
Haha! Tai Lung, Po, Viper, Monkey, and Mantis all snuggled together. We just need to add Crane and Tigress to the mix and we'll have the complete set all thrown together into a big cuddle pile.
FantasyPanda12 chapter 37 . 11/20/2015
Oh my gosh this is the awesomest story ever! Can't wait for more chapters! D
Guest chapter 37 . 11/20/2015
Oh hey, update. Glad this fic ain't dead! Good stuff as before.
nievelion chapter 37 . 10/17/2015
Finally got around to this. Life has been so busy for me with work and so much else!

It's easy to forget not all the information is privy to all the characters. So to have Tai be forcing Crane to keep secret what Vachir and Shifu knew (and how they were defying Yuan's order), and Mantis suspecting it because of Tai's dull fatalism and how he's reluctant to meet the army or be known to be there by the Emperor, Yuan, Shifu, or Vachir...yeah, it's easy to see where this is going. And I am kicking myself for not having guessed what Shifu's mission was.

Beautiful plotting, that even though we all know Tai believes he won't live, that Vachir will have to kill him, that there's no way Po can save him and he just has to try and take as many enemies with him as he can, I never guessed he wanted to deliberately goad Yuan into killing him, to take it out of Po and Shifu and Vachir's hands. It is stupid...but I can see why he'd want to do it. Yup, heart hurting again.

Speaking of Yuan...you are absolutely right of course. You knew I'd hate him, and I do. I can't even describe the levels of my loathing, I almost think I hate him more than I do Akshatha. At least, as Tai himself pointed out, Akshatha is only doing what any invader would do (albeit relishing it or worse not even caring about the atrocities), and at least he owns his villainy…while Yuan claims to be a loyal son of the Emperor and a good man, hiding behind his position so he can be as petty, cruel, and selfish as he wishes. I'm sure he is loyal (though if the Emperor chose to side with Po and Vachir regarding Tai, or if he just plain loses faces in battle and is humiliated again, I can see that changing...), but aside from that, all he is is an arrogant, pampered, overconfident idiot. Exactly the kind of noble I always wrote about in ADL and had Tai properly disapprove of.

And such a manipulative bastard too! As one example among many, he mentions that if Vachir and the Anvil had come back to Chang'an, there were plenty of "incidents which would have benefited from your efforts"-but we know damn well from Deshiyn's testimony that Yuan actually wanted them nowhere near the capital, that he distrusted, feared, and resented them, and that them staying away now gives him the perfect ammunition with which to taunt Vachir. He gets to have his cake and eat it too, claiming to be concerned about the Anvil and the empire when really he's quite glad to have such 'failures' to use to shore up his own position. Ugh.

And really, even acknowledging the jealousy he has toward Vachir and the Anvil, his suspicions toward the Five and kung fu warriors in general, his grudge against Po-he'll seriously disregard *all* their expertise in battle simply because he thinks he knows better? I doubt his own skill in battle is really that great if he's so concerned with appearances (as exemplified by his perfectly pristine armor), with his victories all likely due to his more skilled underlings, luck, and his dependence on the enemy being as traditional as he is. Even if he does have real skill, refusing to consider other possibilities, seek out new information, adapt and change his plans based on what happens in the field...he's setting himself up for a fall, assuming Ushi and Akshatha will be anything like his past foes. And I can't wait to see it happen.

"He could hardly clout General Yuan Jie as he had the snow leopard." Oh if only, Vachir!

Let's see what else... Love how even when insulting Yuan, Tai was subtly complimenting Vachir and the Anvil; I wish Vachir had acknowledged that, but then again the fact he didn't punish him worse than he did may have been partly because he did notice and appreciate it. Also loved Mantis's line to Tigress about hiding her emotions, and Vachir's comeback to Yuan.

The confrontation with Vachir was indeed painful...and brilliant to have it be witnessed by Mantis, told from his POV. We needed a sympathetic one, and having it not be Po for once, to instead be his old friend, who could contrast this with what happened when Tai was first taken off by the Anvil...

"Vachir wished he knew what had set him off after he'd agreed to stay back"...me too! But even if they hadn't been in the situation they were with all the tension and anger and even if Vachir had been more willing to listen, I doubt he'd have accepted Tigress or Ping's part in it without mockery and dismissal. He might understand that Ping's guilt over Po possibly dying without him by his side would motivate Tai, and of course he'd completely get how Tigress calling him a coward would also be something Tai couldn't stand (he himself might not have, in those circumstances), but he'd still say the choice was Tai's and that making it as he did proved he was still arrogant, thinking only of himself and how he had decided things would go, especially if that choice was the one which would end in him forcing Yuan to kill him-taking his fate out of Vachir's hands. (And how strange, that even though I don't want that to happen, I can actually admire Tai for doing this, for deciding that his fate should be his own choice, not someone else's, however much I'm glad Shifu and Vachir want to go to bat for him.)

And if he had believed Tai? Well he probably would have been pissed at Tigress for causing this (particularly since she was acting without the knowledge of Yuan's order or his), and that would not have been good in his current mindset. Still...even if what Vachir did wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, I can't help being frustrated and wishing he could learn the full story. Also, nice subtle implication of what Vachir put Tai through at Chorh-Gom without coming out and saying it, or making it as bad as what I had happen.

Which is why even though I know I shouldn't be, I'm glad when Po chastised Tigress about Tai's fate, and demanded why she didn't make sure he stayed in the Valley. Because she knows damn well (and her pained expression clinches it) that he would have, if not for her needling him just before they left. So I'm sorry, but I think she has every right to be feeling the way she is right now. The rest of the Five though...that campfire scene was so emotional, so well done, everyone pitch perfect and in character.

As for Vachir and Tai...I love that he let him go off on his own to "sort it out", and their talk at the end of the chapter...damn. So many feels! Tai figuring out Po doesn't need him, but wanting to look out for him anyway. The mercy kill being offered (beautiful inversion of what happened in ADL). The drugged drink, which is so Vachir, and Tai being "bright-eyed and ready to kill people in the morning". And finally that sad reiteration of "You are a problem to me"... *sniff* You made me cry again!

Last details: absolutely loved Shifu's thoughts out on the parapet, so real and true and painful. And of course that Tempting Fate bit with the guard tells me exactly where you are going with this. (Though really, could it go any other way, in a kung fu story about redemption?) I think I have an idea now who the traitor might be...but either way, I do wonder what Po's plan is, and how it could ever work. Since short of them defeating Ushi early, or rushing to save the Emperor when they realize Akshatha flanked them and will be able to bring down the fortress thanks to the traitor, I don't see how any of them can get there to help Shifu and save the day, let alone Tai.

Guess I'll find out-much sooner than this chapter was posted, I hope! Not that I have room to talk, but I want to knoooooooow what happens!
Darkwysper chapter 37 . 10/4/2015
*sigh* Man...that chapter hit me right in the feels. I absolutely, no hands down, LOVE your story! I've followed it loyally from the beginning, even though I rarely post reviews, but man, I'm sooooo looking forward to more chapters! It's so lovely and awesome and angsty and grim and UGH! I love Vachir's softening attitude toward Tai, it's so endearing in a harsh way lol! :) Again, amazing story, amazing skill at characterization and details and emotions!
Berserker88 chapter 37 . 9/29/2015
Wow, you've actually managed to make Yuan more unlikable than the outright VILLAINS. That takes a special kind of talent. Looking forward to whatever karmic fate you have in store for him. :)