Reviews for Magic Squares
James Birdsong chapter 4 . 9/30/2011
Excellent four chapters aragonite. Neato.
mrspencil chapter 4 . 9/26/2011
Some interesting glimpses of Watson's thoughts and priorities. Nicely done :-)

Mrs P:-)
The Red Fedora chapter 4 . 9/25/2011
Brilliant imagery. Nice chapter
reflekshun chapter 4 . 9/25/2011
When I read your installs, I usually end up learning at least three new words. I enjoyed this install, and as usual, thank you for sharing.
rabidsamfan chapter 4 . 9/25/2011
Had to look at dates on chapters to slot this in where it belongs, but I don't mind. It's a great glimpse of Watson at that time of his life, and I have no doubt that the Blizzard you've conjured up is a real one (that I really ought to read about!) Marvelous descriptions, as always.
reflekshun chapter 3 . 9/6/2011
Thank you for sharing this fine install. The historical facts that you put in the story are very interesting.
rabidsamfan chapter 3 . 9/5/2011
I've said it repeatedly, but I'll say it again. Your OCs are marvelous, and I love the detail you get in about daily life in London for the folks who weren't gentlemen.

Even knowing what's happening I'm all at the edge of my seat!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 2 . 9/5/2011
Ah, Mycroft is one of my favorites! ) So very grateful for the swift update!

Once again, your nearly lyrical prose delights, and it never fails to amaze me how you bring fresh insights to the Canon that make a scary amount of sense. In this case, Mycroft's description of Moriarty, Sherlock, and their conflict - brilliant!

(And those Whitehall rooms... wow. You, ma'am, most certainly have a Holmesian-grade imagination.)

And poor Lestrade. Having read MOONCURSERS, I can guess that maybe he's not getting along with Patterson, but other than that...

Finally, once again, Sherlock was absolutely lovely. I said it last time and I'll say it again: you keep him beautifully in-character. Ever a joy to read.

Can't wait for the next update! Please make it soon!
The Red Fedora chapter 2 . 9/4/2011
Fantastic chapters:) very excited that you are publishing a new book!
rabidsamfan chapter 2 . 9/3/2011
Oooh, the rooms Mycroft travels through sound amazing. (Although isn't it "if you hear hoof*beats*" rather than hoofprints?)

In any case, I'm waiting with bated breath for more. Even knowing what's to come!
Aleine Skyfire chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
Ah, I see that I must be the one reviewer thus far who goes all-out childishly fangirl over this. I CAN'T HELP IT - THIS IS AWESOME!

Seriously! You have no idea how excited I was when I got the notification in my inbox, and how I was ready to go through the roof when I read the summary! This is the kind of story I've been longing terribly for: one that goes into Holmes's side of things in the days leading up to Reichenbach. The fact that YOU are the one writing it is... well, double icing on the cake!

(And I just finished re-reading MOONCURSERS and the SWORD series - well, took most of the summer doing it, but it was terrific.)

So, on to the actual story here...

Your Holmes, as always, is beautifully in-character. Always makes me so happy to see it. ) I think my favorite moment is when PC Church was talking with him and watching him stay flat against the building. That, and when Holmes is thinking about Moriarty and Watson.

And this line: "That would be the bonds of the irrational, the honest friendliness, and the intangible."

Yep, so much for being a brain without a heart. ) Beautiful.

Well, five stars, as ever, and pleeease update soon! I'll be on the edge of my seat 'til the next chapter!
rabidsamfan chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
Oh, goody! More stories, and good news about Moon Cursers, which I am looking forward to very much.

This is a nice study of Holmes, especially at that juncture of his life. (And I like PC Church as well. You always do such great OCs!)
reflekshun chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Aragonite, thank you for sharing this fine install.
Literatech chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
I am so looking forward to your next book! Thank you for this filler, it was wonderful. I'd love to see (read) your Mycroft Holmes again. Will we get a glimpse of the Holmes brothers together? I enjoyed being privy to Holmes' inner diaglogue, especially about his deliberate distancing from Watson for Watson's and Mary's sake. Knowing as we do that he will soon seek Watson's aid and companionship for his mad flight across Europe makes me wonder what changed his mind?
Zebee chapter 1 . 9/1/2011
Ah, new story from you and confirmation that the books are still happening, good!

Holmes's take on Moriarty is good, showing the difference between them being, oddly enough, Holmes being more human... But Holmes wanting to keep Watson out of it presumably leads to him vanishing after Reichenbach without really realising what he's doing, so maybe not as good at people as at first thought.

(Note - type/spellcheck in the para 7 "That he had been regulated to tasks" should be relegated.)