Reviews for Reparation
Judy chapter 9 . 7/9
Still loving this story.
Judy chapter 8 . 10/13/2014
I hope one day you revisit and complete this story.
Nymra chapter 8 . 2/15/2014
Hello, new reader here. Please tell me you plan to update this beauty? Even if it takes a century? This fic is amazing. I love AUs, particularly the bizarrest AUs where the whole background is completely different and this story has that in spades and ayusfuerthagh I need more. And it has Loghain, and it is a GOOD, non-hated Loghain which makes it even more perfect because I love him to pieces and he's my fave character in this game even if he isn't the absolute main character in this story and. God. And your writing style with the sentences interrupted in the middle has stuck on me now. So you can bet that I'll be waiting for a new chapter anxiously.
Now, seriously (well, serious for me). I wanted to ask if you plan to ever continue this? I'm not trying to put pressure, I understand that RL is important and you have priorities. I just want to know if it's worth it to keep some hope since it's been almost two years since your last update? And since I've seen that you have written more stuff since then and you're still around. So, is it worth it to hope for more or have you abandoned this for sure? Just so I can know, y'know.
Whatever, even if you don't continue, I loved this little bit, your writing style is so REFRESHING. It's very original and I could practically FEEL your character's thoughts myself and that doesn't happen often and I love it when it does happen. And Kate is crazy, and Sam is like an adorable brother, and your Loghain is PERFECT and Maric is so Maric that it hurts and then ZEVRAN at the very end but then THE EXPLOSION and now color me ten kinds of intrigued.
And Fiona Guerrin, what the actual fuck? You should've seen my face there, it was the perfect expression of absolute puzzlement. And a Theirin hahren? Did I get that one right? Any relation with Maric? Is he even a Theirin himself? Since I'm not even sure what's what in this thing. We do have a Fiona Guerrin, after all. Maker. Again, I love bizarre AUs. Who the heck are the royals here, anyway? Is Anora going to appear in this (if you plan to continue, of course)? I hope she does, I love her almost as much as Loghain.
Maker, I'm rambling a lot. Funny thing, I'm super lazy to start a review, but when I do start, I start rambling like the best and here's the result.
tl;dr: I loved this little (for my standards) story, I REALLY hope you can continue because we don't have enough AUs at all in this fandom. I loved your characters and how you depicted them, and I'm horribly intrigued by the cliffhanger in the end.
Good luck, and I hope to hear from you! And there's a chance you'll here more from me since I plan to read more of your stories if I can make the time.
Bye!
Judy chapter 8 . 7/29/2012
I love this story!
Judy chapter 8 . 5/19/2012
Just reread again. I love this story!
Ventisquear chapter 8 . 4/25/2012
I knew it was Zevran. From the moment I heard that Kate's rescuer was a man and an elf. :D I loved hints about his past and about his relationship with Kate and Sam. He still seems to know a lot about assassination, but Kate remembers him when they were children.

Interesting. And, he makes Surana feel very self-conscious? Same Surana who is sleeping close to beautiful woman, but finds the very idea of sex with her disgusting? VERY interesting. :D

Loghain and Maric's reaction when they found out about Vaughan raise so many questions. It almost seems Loghain NEEDS the man for some reason, and must keep him safe for now. But he wanted all elves to know what happened. I can't imagine they will give Vaughan warm welcome and gentle care now.

Fantastic chapter. I'll try to wait patiently. And if I'm seventy when the story's finished, well, so be it. It's not bad to have something nice to look forward to in future years. :D
Enaid Aderyn chapter 8 . 4/21/2012
Oh, fantastic! So worth the wait, which of course makes the eagerness for the next chapter all the more intense. ;) I adore everything about the way you've handled Zevran - his entrance, his demeanor, his alliances (Zathrian - clever, clever!), the hints at his history with Kate & Sam.

While a pity Vaughn's stupid skull wasn't caved in, it's all the more intriguing to see the way Loghain was preparing to deal with the situation - reinforces the notion that you aren't simply using Vaughn for some obligatory rapist-shem-bad-guy stereotype drama but that there's a lot going on that we have yet to understand.

This: "The man hummed as he moved, the same natural grace she had seen while on the streets showing clearly even in the homely setting. And there was something so painfully familiar about the brick walls, the way the candlelight would lighten just the barest space around, the soft humming which hinted at words long unheard. It reminded her a little of home, of her father in the kitchen – and her throat constricted a little thinking of it – how her parents would move in what was their space as she watched. And it seemed even more nostalgic when he turned and the light hit those carved features, the trace of a tattoo painted on skin ever so close to his eye. Eyes which were light, blue as a summer sky. Something slid down her cheek. Fluid? How inopportune."

So haunting & evocative. It comes close to inspiring an inopportune drop or two of my own.

What awes me about 'Reparation' is how you accomplish what the very best Alternate History writers do: you've placed these characters in a completely different background & personal history, you developed their altered lives & personalities accordingly and believably without sacrificing the essential core of what makes them recognizably the characters we know. It's masterfully done, seriously.
ChampionTheWonderSnail chapter 8 . 4/16/2012
You hope the next chapter doesn't take another four months? So do we! Cliffhangerrrrrrrrrrrr! I'd say you were eevil, but I know this is all part of your master plan for...something. :) Though, even if you do take another six months, the picture of Zevran channelling Donkey 'I'm making pancakes!' is going to be entertaining me the entire time.

This has been so worth the wait. And a nice reveal all round. Between Zathrian, Zevran, Vaughan getting his just desserts and Sam for once losing his cool, it's no wonder you needed the time. This is packed full to the brim of really cool stuff, like a bag of all my favourite lollies.

And, and, and...Cullen! The best sweetie of all!
Judy chapter 8 . 4/15/2012
Excellent!
Shakespira chapter 8 . 4/15/2012
Okay, I admit I did a fist pump when I saw the update. :)

The introduction of Zevran into this was wonderfully done and gives additional insight/info on Kate. And Kate's inner voice continues to be wicked and funny and poignant...there is a wryness to her outlook, with a dollop of wariness, and a dash of bitterness that is quite appealing. Hmmm, sounds like a certain general I know.

Zevran saves the day, although I admit to being disappointed that Vaughan was only beaned with a brick and not killed. I like the bit of friction between Zev and Kate, and it appears even more so between Zev and Sam...hints that there is more in their history than is currently known.

This:"...And there was something so painfully familiar about the brick walls, the way the candlelight would lighten just the barest space around, the soft humming which hinted at words long unheard. It reminded her a little of home, of her father in the kitchen – and her throat constricted a little thinking of it – how her parents would move in what was their space as she watched. And it seemed even more nostalgic when he turned and the light hit those carved features, the trace of a tattoo painted on skin ever so close to his eye. Eyes which were light, blue as a summer sky.

Something slid down her cheek. Fluid? How inopportune."

Evocative and touching, another glimpse of Kate and it was very moving without being overly sentimental. You do that very well. Just enough language to convey the meaning without burying it. Lovely.

The normality of things...Cullen and Oghren playing cards and the jocularity between them,

And Zathrian, though one who seems a bit less..er...rabid.

LOL, and the dynamic between Maric and Loghain, as always, is just awesome.

Great update!
Josie Lange chapter 8 . 4/15/2012
Oh Kate... she's going to be in so much trouble when she gets back in the same room with all the others. She may get in trouble with Loghain and Maric, but I'm betting the trouble she will be in with Sam will be much worse. Vaughan is lucky all he got this time was stepped on my Kate and Zevran, though I bet when word gets out of his attack on Kate, being stepped on will be the least of his worries.

Zevran brings a whole new layer to the story. He's friends with Kate, but not so much with Sam. You can see that Zevran very much enjoys the fact that he will be tormenting Sam again. At this point, however, he's more concerned with seeing to Kate's safety. Kate, on the other hand, is more concerned about getting back to Sam and letting him know that she's OK (even if it means she's in trouble for leaving). She and Sam are two halves of a whole and their companions are beginning to see that.

I laughed at Kate's remark to Zevran asking him not to hit on Sam. :p Poor Sam. I also laughed at Oghren and Cullen playing cards and accusing each other of cheating. It's a bit of normal life going on around Sam as he worries about Kate. I also liked the banter between Loghain and Maric ("Don't spawn"). They may poke fun at each other, but you can see the friendship between them. They are like two halves of the same coin.

Once Sam learned of the attack on Kate, he quickly wanted to find her and make sure she was all right. Unfortunately, the explosion got in the way. And I still laugh at the "was that an explosion?" line.

Great update and I'm always happy to help! :) Sorry about the hammer. O_o
Judy chapter 7 . 1/11/2012
Hoping for an update soon. I REALLY like this story!
Wolfox6 chapter 7 . 12/29/2011
Ah, you should know by now that I prefer the 'weird A/U' stories! ;) Can only read the same thing over and over and over and over again before one's eyes kind of glaze over... XD

Anyways, sorry it took me so long to get to this, since hubs has the computer these days...

Another interesting and compelling look at the 'modern' Ferelden. Especially the 'Reservation'. And Vaughan is even creepier/nastier than the in-game version...

Very nicely done! O.O
ChampionTheWonderSnail chapter 7 . 12/18/2011
Hoo! A very intriguing chapter! The arrival at Haven being as chaotic as it was...and Vaughan...I knew that rascal was up to no good! Where's your cavalry and a hero when you need it?

I particularly loved the little connection Kate and Cullen had, sharing a piece of their history. The very casual way he described his Tower life was sad because it was so offhand. A prison is still a prison, cultural or physical and I now have a new favourite :)

Chapter done brilliantly! The grimy, depressing, dirty post-apocalyptic feel of this story is still so perfect.
Enaid Aderyn chapter 7 . 12/18/2011
The opening fight scene was great - both for the descriptive action and for the real sense of the smooth teamwork in development. Their flight from the wyvern, then is all the more intense for its reminder that yes, even a pack of indomitable killing machines like the GWs get worn out and need to regroup, and tells us the wyvern is a serious foe better than any amount of description could.

The Loghain-Maric-Fiona dynamic is mightily intriguing. (Tho' Maric, it appears, is an ass true to form, despite the grittier setting.)

My heart goes ou to Kate regarding Sam's withdrawal, yet I suspect pulling apart a little is the only way for both of them to find their footing in themselves. It's a sign of her own growth that she didn't try to choke what she wanted from him then and there. I can't praise Sam's conversation with Fiona enough. Ulterior motives or not, her argument was valid enough from her perspective, and Sam's all the more so from his. Plus there's the added satisfaction of how he disconcerted her so thoroughly. ;)

"Why do I hate you?" He questioned, almost curiously. His fingers tightened even more. "I really don't get it."

*shudder* This is infinitely more creepy and threatening than any amount of threats. And Kate's situation & fluttering thoughts are the perfect tie-back to the opening line: "She was too easily distracted." Very, very well done.
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »