Reviews for Somewhere In Latin America: Episode Three
NeverQuitDreaming chapter 1 . 7/20/2013
So this was beautifully written. You have captured their characters perfectly. I loved the little bits of spanish you put in, and loved watching percy slide out of his fool caricature.
sheepstake chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Another superb offering. May I just fan myself as I cool down after that sizzling tango? The tango is extremely well written and works perfectly as the explosive end of an instant connection between Percy and Rita (which I think is a cool diminuitive). The sleek referencing of the original novel in Percy's feeling that he should raise her hand to his lips was great. Another great line is 'Somewhere, deep in his chest, Percy's heart lay, dazzled and defeated.'

Other fun bits were Glynde and Galveston snoring in contrapuntal and Marguerite's comparison of her situation to that of a prize winning cow. Two thoughts: One I thought that Marguerite could have been introduced with a bit more of a bang, rather than through a retrospective point of view by Percy. Also, I did think you could have made Marguerite engage with the dam topic a little more, rather than be so completely naive about it. I mean, for someone who is so erudite when it comes to literature, including a 'foreign' author like Kerouac, wouldn't she be more aware of least what a dam is? Anyway, that was just a thought. One last thing: I thought that you could reference the quotes from the authors at the end of the chapter, instead of in between. Nevertheless, it was a chapter that was simply marvellously inventive and enjoyable.
Belfast Docks chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
Oh, bravo, bravo! A thoroughly enjoying read, as is all of your SP work! You have created a fascinating alternate world that makes complete sense and is intriguing - sucks the reader right in. I was thinking at first you could have gotten by with a K rating, but the Tango is definitely a "T" dance, LOL. As always, I will be interested in following along if you continue writing this world. )
slytherinsal chapter 1 . 9/3/2011
Lud, ma'am, I think that tango had more power and electricity in it than any hydroelectric plant!

This read very smoothly; and learning at the end that she thinks of the secret policeman as her uncle is a bit of an eyeopener. Tio Luis is going to be trouble...

This is very true to the spirit of the original and yet something new and exciting. One can see Percy managing in the cool of the next day;s reflection coming up with the ability to make a throw away comment about being happy to bring employment to the natives but finding it difficult to tell one peon descamisado from another to cover their human smuggling activities. It won't stop Contreras being suspicious but it might hold him for a while if they can do a good job of being Americans abroad and more interested in the cuisine than in individuals... [do Americans also consider raw on the inside and burnt on the outside succulent? I thought that they had more discernment]

This is an excellent updating of the story and I've enjoyed this episode.
Elizabeth Marshall chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
Reading this is like listening to good jazz. Clio has transposed the original to another key, changed the lyrics, changed the melody, even, but the song is still the same, an anthem to the power of passion.

I like the creepy sense of menace and the portrait of El Colonel Contreras, both his villainy and his hypnotic allure.

I love the deliberately bumbling Americans and I love how Percy is torn between maintaining his persona and wanting to impress Marguerita. The description of the tango is perfect, so sensual and so elegant.

The lush descriptions help balance the two parts of the story: the frightening evil of "South America," where divers looks for things-and people-beneath the sea, and the romance that is just beginning to unfold.

Thank you, Clio, for delivering your usual wonderful read.
rthstewart chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
I do not know the books or the characters, but I certainly understood the palpable menace and danger of all this. What a terrific updated piece. The setting and characterizations were so evocative. I was quite hungry reading the description of the foods and cultures. And you wrote the attraction, the play, the dance of power between them so very, very well. It was a fascinating character study and the dialogue, with its layered meanings just terrific.

(and thanks for the call out!)
Marianne Greenleaf chapter 1 . 9/2/2011
This was absolutely superb! You've done a wonderful job taking the original Scarlet Pimpernel scenario and adapting it to modern day. The descriptions in this piece were lovely and evocative, from the food to the characters to the interactions - the reader really gets a wonderful sense of the setting, the people, and how they relate to each other. I especially love the raucous facade that Percy and his men put on to seem casual, while beneath it all they are a group of supremely intelligent men working together like a well-oiled machine. Throwing the dangerous Contreras into the mix added an ominous tension that kept me at the edge of my seat!

And of course, among all these dangerous undercurrents Percy is having to grapple with falling in love. The chemistry between Percy and Marguerita was absolutely sizzling - especially during their tango! The passionate attraction and the flirtatious interplay between them was beautifully and intricately portrayed. It was a delight seeing the normally cool and collected Percy struggle with the intensity of his feelings and his longing to let his mask down a little so he could woo the pretty singer and show her that he was more than a simple-minded fool - and all this, under the sinister Contreras' eye! And to Marguerita he is "Tio Luis" - is he really her uncle? Oh, the horror!

Hopefully, you will be writing more? I would dearly love to see where this goes - especially the developing romance between Percy and Rita. And of course, I would love to see how the men deal with the crafty and chilling Contreras - the man oozes danger and seems to be quite the formidable villain.