Reviews for Soulmates
Miss Lubberly chapter 40 . 2/17/2015
I read this whole story in one stretch and i love it! Its actually the first DA2 Story without Justice and I am completely fine with that. The thought that Anders was never free of the control of others (like Templars, the Chantry, the Grey Wardens) and then Justice on top of that playing with him and his fears... it makes me angry and sad. Like you said at the beginning, he had enough trouble without adding this spirit. I liked Hawke and the way you described her. I played DA2 nearly every time as a sarcastic Hawke maybe that made me forget, how much fears and trouble she has. It is nice to see how they support each other through the story. The last sentences in chapter 40 were just beautiful :) Perfect really. And again thank you for another story :D
DarkJewelRomani chapter 40 . 10/25/2014
The first thing i want to say is that I absolutely love the level of darkness and mental scarring that you have Anders and Hawke display throughout the story. It makes them very human, and I think its nice to have so broken put a lot of thought into this and I appreciate it. This is a beautiful story to find with less then a month before Dragon Age Inquisition hits release. Thank you for that thought to detail give Anders and Hawke a sense of realness that you don't always see in fan ficiton. Well done!
commander-shakarian chapter 40 . 5/7/2014
This was a beautiful spin on DA2. If only they had made the story seem this tragic. I love how you can slip so easily into Anders' head as if it were natural. Hawke, too, has her own personal demons to face with her father's death and her fear of being locked away in the Gallows. It makes she and Anders even more perfect for each other despite how broken they are. I loved this so much.
Magister of Asariel chapter 6 . 3/26/2013
I love this chapter. I love the interaction between Hawke and Anders. I love the way that Anders can't keep up his walls around Hawke. This is always how I imagine it too. I love how each of them are so consumed by their own pasts, their own hurts and fears, but still each is very encouraged and inspired by the other. I think the quote you have in the description of this story is perfect, "I was born to love you." It fits them so well. Very much enjoying your story!
Miss Mahariel chapter 40 . 11/20/2012
This was amazing. I loved it from right from chapter 1! I love your writing style. I wish I could put into words how great this was. As a raging Anders fan, I would like to thank you for writing it
Shmegegi chapter 22 . 10/28/2012
Ooh, I know I've read this before, but since you linked to it in the Prompts thread in the DAWC forum, I thought I'd leave you a review!

You're a very good writer. I love the chemistry between Anders and Hawke, and I really like the minor changes to Anders' personality. We see so much of his doom and gloom in DA2, it is nice to see him relax and be grateful for a moment.

That said, "Caffeine and Sugar and Anders" should be a song. Or, possibly, a band. Or the name of your Hawke's autobiography, if she ever wrote one.
Doritos1996 chapter 40 . 9/3/2012
Hey :) I know you wrote this a while ago, but I just wanted to let you know that it's a beautiful story! You got everyone in character, reflecting Ander's and Hawke's thoughts and relationship perfectly. I loved every word of this story and you are really good at writing!

Just thought that I should let you know :)

Dora.
gaurdian9sunshine chapter 40 . 3/2/2012
The story was amazing. I love your Hawke. So glad she didn't kill

Anders at the end.
JayRain chapter 40 . 2/5/2012
It's taken me forever to get to this, and I'm displeased with myself for that. However! That aside, this is such a fitting resolution to the DA2 storyline for them. They've never stopped running and can't make any long-term plans, and yet with one another, none of that matters. It's the epitome of who they are as individuals and as a couple. The irony is that there's no real resolution, since they're still running, but that is a resolution: for them. They break every mold. And so did this story. Bravo!
Snarkoleptic chapter 40 . 1/14/2012
Perfect.

I'm so pleased you mention in your notes that this isn't the end, for these two. It's my sincere hope that Anders comes to fully understand the necessity of what he started. In the previous chapter, the dichotomy of the religion at the core of everything started poking around in his mind, and I would love to see more of that from you, as well. You'd do it justice in any number of ways that most writers couldn't manage.

Of course, seeing the thoughts behind these realizations for Anders is something that couldn't be fully explored here - because who's going to stop for an internal theological debate when Meredith is bearing down with a sword? - but I would dearly love to see this cast, as you have created them, learning to live in the world that follows all this.

I sincerely wish I could find the words to tell you how well-done this is. I know I've reviewed as I caught up and started following, but now that I'm thinking of the story in its entirety?

I think I'll just sit back and applaud for a minute. That should just about do it.
Snarkoleptic chapter 39 . 1/14/2012
This war has been brewing for thousands of years.

And now, realization starts. Again, reserving my hopes for your characters until I've seen the final chapter.

"Even helmeted, it's clear in his stance, the dancing ease of his steps, that he'll kill her, and take pleasure in it."

I wondered if anyone else thought that, on seeing this particular scene. I certainly did. That far away? How's Meredith going to know one got away rather than being murdered horribly for the way the Maker made her? Oh. Pardon me. I meant being annulled.

"He believes them now."

Hit me again. Go on, get it over with. I may have something to say about this after the final chapter as well. :)

"Anders, you know I will."

Of course he will.

If canon doesn't continue to show Cullen as a good guy on the wrong side of a bad line, I really do think BioWare will have a revolt on their hands.
Snarkoleptic chapter 38 . 1/14/2012
But you would have if you could, Hawke thinks. Wouldn't you?

He broke the rules, and he expects to be punished for it.

Okay. You and I have shared Anders head-canon quite a bit in the past, so I imagine you can think how this made me react. Think "she needs a minute to compose herself" and you'll be close.

I can count on one hand the number of times writing has hit me this way. I knew this was coming, one way or another, because of the way you've drawn me in. I expected it to be a little closer to the end than this, but here it is. Congratulations, karebear - you've got me boobing.

His entire thought process is so spot-on, here. "He broke his own rules."

Yes, he did. But it was necessary. And "He is broken too." Hawke realizing this? Of course she would realize this. She HAD to know something was going on - didn't we, even before we'd finished the first playthrough?

I'll withhold my comments on how I hope it will play out, in favor of finding out how it does play out.
Snarkoleptic chapter 37 . 1/14/2012
In case other reviewers haven't said - I never read reviews on a chapter before I leave one, in case I end up getting spoiled - you pulled this off beautifully.

Most people are really bad at keeping secrets.

Yes, they are, and if ANYONE knows the importance of the nuances of holding onto a secret? It's going to be Anders. Of course it is; look at the number of times he's coordinated an escape from the Circle.

The inner conflict for him is absolutely staggering. It would have to be, and I think you managed to cover every facet of it extremely well. Especially with the foundation he has in the Circle, and especially with who he is - he knows others have been hurt FOR HIM in the past, and it would be completely unbelievable to me if he was willing to put someone in such a position now. So he keeps what he's doing from Hawke.

"He isn't afraid of anything anymore."

My God, but you have a gift for powerful endings. I could swear I felt this right along with him. Some of that probably has to do with the fact that Anders is the only fictional character I've ever gotten as involved with as I have with him. But mostly? The way this entire chapter is written just... FITS the situation, to my mind, in ways I can't really describe.

I think, if I wasn't already hovering at "it had to start somewhere," this chapter would have given me something to think about on that level, as well. You have definitely outdone yourself with this one.
Snarkoleptic chapter 36 . 1/14/2012
Okay, you know what? I thought I had plenty of reasons to despise Meredith already. I mean, I get the implication of the lyrium sword, but I just can't believe it's the crazy that pushed her to take things to the extremes she did. This is SO reinforced by the presence of mind shown in her decision to hold Carver, this way.

And poor Carver. Talk about getting stuck in Hawke's shadow.

Over it all? THANK YOU for the blackmail. It always bothered me that in canon you can accuse Anders of emotional blackmail - I never do, but you can - and yet the blackmail inherent in sending a mage out after escaped mages is never fully expressed. On top of that, without the reasons given here, I really can't see Hawke as told in Soulmates doing anything but storming out in the face of such a request. And then perhaps fantasizing later about setting Meredith's hair on fire, but that could just be me.
Rose Tinted Contact Lenses chapter 40 . 1/6/2012
Wow. Another lovely, relationship-development-y journey draws to a close. It's been excellent. I'm sad to see the end of this fic, but I'm glad they got their ending, and it finishes on a wonderfully hopeful note.