Reviews for Kingdom Hearts II: Proof of Existence
viralhybrid29 chapter 19 . 3/16
I speak for many fans when I say I hate the Xaldin boss fight, and I had a lot of fun reading about it in your fic. I'm loving all of the cryptic hints about Kairi's past more and more. Great chapter again.
Mr. Martin chapter 19 . 3/16
Wow, I think I would have preferred your version of the Xaldin fight. The one in game is BRUTAL!

And the scene of Belle recovering the rose. That was AWESOME! I kind of hope Kairi does in fact have something similar.

I also like the foreshadowing you have that the end with "Princess Hartwell"

Until you next chapter,
Hugh D. Martin
Lord Darth Yoda chapter 19 . 3/16
Aww no wind sword dragon? Lol
And I found Roxas overly antagonistic towards Sors when he's in the middle of a boss fight but remembered that really he didn't mellow out towards Sors until they had their fight. So Roxas has more than enough reason to be on bad terms with him.
And Kairi there are plenty of fangirls (and fanboys) who'd love to have Xemnas gaze so intently at them.
R. Recollect chapter 19 . 3/15
Whoa! Princesses of Heart having powers? Not just being MacGuffins or pieces of the X-Blade? What a fantastic change! Seriously, what IS a Princess of Heart even? Having a heart made of pure light, sure. But what else?! We all know that Sora was thinking of Kairi with wings being all badass as he put. (Insert Lenny Face here) Wait till he gets a load of Kairi with her new Keyblade! I bet he'll just get all starry-eyed at the thought of the two of them fighting monsters together. Now, all she needs to do is get the summoning down. Flick of the wrist, Kairi! When you have that down, you can just unlock the door and jailbreak! On a side note, it was insulting how in the other game the bars in the Dungeon that Never Was are spread so wide that one can literally just walk out and she did nothing.

Xaldin maintains his pragmatic "survival of the fittest" dogma as a means to come to terms with his state of non-existence. Only the strong survive, and the weak get crushed. He sees the Beast as the culmination of this philosophy; the proof that his existence is rightful in the eyes of the natural world order. That is, while he's still withdrawn and not having fully realized his feelings for Belle. I was wondering WHY Xaldin seemed more interested in turning the Beast into a Heartless than actually being committed to the task set by the Organization.

Annnnnnd, we've got Roxas making appearances in the World of Light! I bet he wasn't expecting to see Xaldin defeated by having the Keyhole locked. C'mon, Roxas! You're a dual-wielder! You should know better than anyone about the strategy where you kill two birds with one stone! Wait, maybe I messed that one up. Either way, yes Axel, your plan is bullsh*t. It always was. I love how he's all like "Eh, screw it." Axel, are you sure YOU don't have a heart? Why else would you care whether or not Roxas would approve of your actions?

And Xemnas interrogates Kairi? What, is she like a "friend" to him too in the same was Aqua's Armor was in the games? Makes me wonder about little princess Kairi a decade ago. She was probably a happy little thing going "yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!" and running in the halls, stealing food from the kitchens, playing in the mud, puffing out her cheeks when she gets mad and just being "smol" until her world got taken over. Halcyon days, that. We all have them, and we all miss them.

Looking forward to that endgame! What worlds are there left to do? I forget.

Without Wax,

~R
The StarsShadow15 chapter 5 . 3/8
I have mixed feelings about the "glitches in the matrix" not being present in this. It certainly makes sense but I feel that you could've made them more interesting than they were in the game or something. But this was already a REALLY long chapter so I could see why that would've been cut for length purpose.

And man, that fight between Roxas and Axel. My absolute favorite boss fight. Especially once the full history between them had been revealed, how good of friends they were makes that fight all the more heart breaking.

At the ending of Roxas' tale, it always seemed like an odd continuity error that he is suddenly carrying the Kingdom Key again, instead of his dual wields. Which kinda stinks cause I always want to see more of that. So I like that you threw in that little detail that he still had Oblivion and Oathkeeper out and about. Another nice little detail is the nobody asking "why do you run my liege." Talking more than once. I love it! XD
The StarsShadow15 chapter 4 . 3/7
This was SO much better than it was in game. The fight with Axel made so much more sense too. Axel, even holding back, would've slaughtered amnesia Roxas and I really like that you give vivid details in fights. The solid front kick Axel delivered to the chest in the beginning of their fight felt so authentic. I'm being repetitive with saying how much more I love how this story is going then how the actual game fleshed out, but it is so blatantly true how much better this is. Suddenly everything makes sense. It's like the extended versions of some movies, where afterwards you go back to the theatrical version and certain scenes really just don't make sense without that additional information.
The StarsShadow15 chapter 3 . 3/6
I love how you illustrating with words the consistencies and inconsistencies in the data world that Roxas is starting to sorta-not-really notice. And the battle with the Twilight Thorn and that brief image of the man in black expanded upon was great! Cause in game we're just like... wtf was that? This is EXACTLY why I've been looking for this kinda thing. To fix all the problems the game had. I love this story! XD
The StarsShadow15 chapter 2 . 3/6
So I have got to tell you that this has interestingly enough become my favorite Kingdom Hearts story that I've read. Not that I'm SUPER well versed in this fanverse largely because of the copious amounts of RikuxSora and AxelxRoxas shipping. But I've been looking for this kind of story for a LOONG time. One that is like a novelization of the game but expanded upon. And this first chapter couldn't fit the bill any better! The dialogue is so much better, everything makes more sense, and I like how you just in general cleaned up the entire story. Getting rid of the whole deal with the word "photos" being deleted was an interesting call.

I've already scanned through the majority of this story but now I'm really gonna read it and review each chapter. Maybe this isn't true for you, or many other authors, but in depth reviews are my absolute favorite thing to receive.
no-one-is-special chapter 18 . 2/8
Nice to see that Roxas is having a bigger part in all of this than just randomly showing up towards the end for no explained reason, always kind of bugged me. Can't wait to read more and am curious to see what, if anything, you do with anti-form.
Mr. Martin chapter 18 . 1/20
A great boss fight and a lot of plot advancement, all in all an excellent chapter.

If I recall correctly the single hardest boss fight in the game is coming up shortly.

And by the way, where DO you find all these quotes to head up your chapters?

Until your next chapter,
Hugh D. Martin
R. Recollect chapter 18 . 1/19
Ah, this was refreshing! And good to hear from you! I trust your 2016 holiday season went well?

Now, let's get down to brass tacks. The aftermath of the Battle of 1000 Heartless wasn't entirely what I expected. All that's really missing is Sora waking up after getting KO'd last chapter and talking with Leon and the gang, but in retrospect, Sora wants to go look for Kairi ASAP. In other areas, good work with the continuity as usual! You showed that Hollow Bast- I mean, Radiant Garden, took quite a beating and that it's taking even more effort to fix the place up now. In the game, it was business as usual. It's also good that you've got Sora questioning his stance on whether or not he should be outright killing members of the Organization.

Now, for the Land of Dragons. Great job in not repeating what happened the first time. I was right with Donald when those Heartless appeared and he said "Again?" in exasperation. The Storm Rider battle was interesting, mainly because of the Mushu connection, the spy in black, and of course, Sora just HAD to have a blackout where he briefly met with Roxas. Why is his Nobody peeved at him? We'll just have to find out!

Now, that was really impressive how you included the Great Wall of China like that. Why didn't we get to go see it in the game?! And then there's another Axel encounter. He's not doing so well, is he? Our former No. VIII managed to set off some of Roxas' emotions, and nearly killed him, stopping at the last moment. And then, Xigbar shows up and acts all cocky as usual and then vanishes. The keyhole gets sealed. Cross one more off the list.

Thank you for your latest contribution! I'm sure we all appreciate it!

Without Wax,

~R
viralhybrid29 chapter 18 . 1/19
Great chapter again. Aerith giving Sora a piece of the stone from the castle of Radiant Garden to give to Kairi was a nice touch. It kind of annoyed me that the games never really explored the fact that Kairi comes from Hollow Bastion. Again, great chapter.
stardust902 chapter 18 . 1/19
Great chapter as always, great to see you back at the writing again :D looking forward to reading more chapters soon
Lord Darth Yoda chapter 18 . 1/19
I like the split personality thing you're doing with Sora, better than Roxas simply sleeping the whole game. I do wonder if Axel sometimes mixes Sora ups with Roxas or Ven. I keep forgetting Axel met him in BbS. Also like how you made more sense out of Riku's bad attempts at clueing Sora in on Roxas.
viralhybrid29 chapter 17 . 9/2/2016
I think the bit with Goofy and the rock would have worked, if it had been better executed. Overall, this was a really good adaptation of the battle of Hollow Bastion. I really like the scene between Squall and Cloud at the end. And that was a good way to get around Maleficent's absence. Once again, great work.