Reviews for The Game of Champions
Zbluez chapter 12 . 2/6/2015
All I can remember of pokemon are the games I used to play so I really don't know to what extent you have adapted or changed the pokemon world in this story but I'm guessing it's quite a lot. And. It. Is. Awesome.

Seriously. The world-building in this is phenomenal. I'm enjoying all the explanations, and the gritty details and expansions on the few aspects of pokemon I do remember. You just took the game and made it real, dude. There isn't one aspect of this story I don't like, and it keeps getting better and better. I greatly enjoyed the beginning, I greatly enjoyed the middle, and this last chapter was definitely my favourite.

The interludes are entertaining, too. The nine-tails story, though confusing at first, definitely payed out by the end (because let's face it, Blue and Red are both full of win, but Blue is funnier). I don't know how you come up with stuff like the ninetails and Misty's gym and Oak getting a town and the Blastoise but keep doing it.

The most epic scenes for me were Red and pikachu fighting together for the first time, and them frying the level badge at Misty's. In fact I'm really looking forwards to that shit hitting the fan, see what Misty does and how badly or not Red deals with it.

Of course you have me on my toes with the switching between the past and present, slowly revealing the scene and all the stuff running in the background while Red tells his story.

As for Red himself? His moments of brilliance and his screw ups and his bipolar luck all combine to make him a great character. Strong, but not as much as some, talented and creative, but not invincible, he's been growing and developing throughout the story, shaped by his triumphs as much as the walls and difficulties he's encountered. The internal conflicts he faces are realistic and interesting. Great job on him. He grows on me.

If there's one thing it's the dialogue. I mean, Red speaking but no indication of it until the next line of dialogue, so we have to go back and guess when he's actually speaking or just thinking, based on the answer the other character gives. Which is, you know, more interesting and mentally stimulating than normal dialogue, but when I'm racing through a chapter heart in my throat eager to find out what happens next, that kinda slows me down.

Man this is getting long. I wanted to talk about the awesomeness that is Pikachu but I'll just leave it here. You are fantastic, your story is fantastic, and I know you just updated but please please please write the next chapter soon. Fail at life if you must. But write the next chapter SOON.

Also your writing style reminds me of The Name of the Wind, have you read that?

Inconditional fan,
Zbluez
Draco Oblivion chapter 12 . 2/5/2015
Wow that was intense and kinda awesome. Really love the form of communication he's building up to, some sort of telepathic/empathic link. Either way it's awesome. Not sure about some of the dialogue since you had Surge responding to what I thought was going on in only the narration but it'd be pretty cool if that was actually just a commentary on the the complexity and uniqueness of language. Tbh not really sure what I can say since it could be a mistake or a purposeful step towards some greater meaning but this story is awesome either way so keep it up!
UnlimitedFreeIceCream chapter 12 . 2/5/2015
Wow. Just... wow. I tip my hat to you good sir/ma'am. This chapter was absolutely stunning, I struggled to find any fault even in terms of just a phrase or sentence feeling off, and the only thing I got was the mild confusion I felt when cold storage was first mentioned and then the narration went on to describe a boulder that wasn't really one, which immediately made me assume this would be that cold storage, but ended up being a Blastoise.
A chapter 11 . 2/5/2015
One mistake: you mention that Samurai Gozen is betrothed to Janine in the end notes, but she's referred to as "Jasmine" in the text, who IIRC, is another gym leader entirely.
Nessie chapter 12 . 2/4/2015
Goddamn. This was GOOD.
Etokaiten chapter 12 . 2/4/2015
Woot.
bdeanemachine chapter 12 . 2/4/2015
I'm loving this story so far. Please keep up the good work!
supa-dupa-lemonade chapter 12 . 2/4/2015
Just about hyperventilated from excitement when I saw you updated. Best ff story ever
gibs chapter 12 . 2/4/2015
cool chapter.
Guest chapter 12 . 2/4/2015
I've waited so long for this, and I can't wait for the next one. So good :)
Ryuongaku chapter 12 . 2/3/2015
The unique style of narration and story-telling is ADDICTING.

Needless to say, the amount of detail as well as the character development poured into the story is breathtaking as well.

In essence, you rock, and I patiently look forward to future updates.
The Story will Continue chapter 12 . 2/3/2015
You have this immaculate rhythm to your writing that I only wish I could find more of. I read a lot of Fanfic, but no matter how long the update takes this story of yours sticks in my head like no other. Your world building is a little...realistic for my tastes but it's just done so damn well.

Amazing story, I'm waiting for the next chapter.
boomer sooner chapter 1 . 2/3/2015
Okay just curious, did this Watson betrayal happen before or after he resigned from the elite four (assuming it was him). Because your little excerpt didn't say anything about Kanto military service.
Zakeraz chapter 12 . 2/2/2015
My goodness, you have a gift for making this story so compelling. I always enjoy world-building stories and you find a great balance between that and character building. The tension in the interrogation scene continues to mount as Red's story takes still more interesting turns. That said, I'm a little conflicted about Red's empathy super power. Leads are a little less compelling and relatable when they have something that sets them apart from everyone else. Although you do state this ability of his isn't perfect; the image of Trident picking Red up and throwing him into the ocean was hilarious by the way. That and it could be explained as the intuition he picked up working at Oak's lab for so long and his scars attest to making plenty of mistakes there too.
Guest chapter 12 . 2/2/2015
Great work. I hope for another update soon.
1,174 | « Prev Page 1 .. 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 .. Last Next »