Reviews for The Game of Champions
SteadyUniverse chapter 1 . 2/15/2015
OH SHIT! MR MIME IS RED'S FATHER. OoO
MistGun chapter 1 . 2/15/2015
Never knew Pokemon fanfic could be so exciting. Glad I picked this up & read all 12 chapters in one go. Look forward to sticking along for the ride!
Gigapode chapter 12 . 2/15/2015
Thanks for the update. Most of the other stories I'm reading pale in comparison.
surprised guest chapter 1 . 2/12/2015
This is dystopian!pokemon. So everyone is crazy. They are all insane on so many levels. some things are a bit harsh but otherwise this story shines because of it. It has a one-track mind.

Also this really reminds me of the Name of the Wind. Like zbluez said. The odd storytelling device. The biased voice. The egotistic, ambitious, homeless protagonist. Everything is so dramatic. All the strongly connotated words. (both good and bad because of the same thing; it's like watching a flame)

I feel like it suffers a little from what the name of the winds suffers from. (op, judgmental protagonist) Red always picks himself off the ground. But i feel like only that kind of protagonist could survive starring in a story like this.

Yet also what i like is how the story is true to itself.
I dont know what i am saying.
good job writing! (waiting for update)
gonziboss chapter 12 . 2/12/2015
Sorry for taking me so long into reading this new update.

You give me chills with your story man. The suspense, the curiosity, the intrigue is killing me.

Update more often please!
Anon chapter 12 . 2/11/2015
This is fucking brilliant. Just... All of it.
AnonoftheFuture chapter 1 . 2/11/2015
Trident Lead will die, Big Brother will join Red, he is learning the trainer sense, the Charizard from the old man will fly away and join Red at some point, and Lt. Surge has either a Pok├ęball or a grenade in his pocket.
hitori.no.boku chapter 12 . 2/11/2015
This story is perfect. I eagerly await more from you. Your writing style and ability with diction is, pardon my own, fucking amazing. Jesus, it is simply captivating and I could not stop reading until I finished.
SirSquirtle chapter 1 . 2/10/2015
Brilliant opening chapter.
JoojooBrother chapter 12 . 2/9/2015
Every chapter blows my mind. Keep trooping, I could wait years for new chapters and still be satisfied.
Zbluez chapter 12 . 2/6/2015
All I can remember of pokemon are the games I used to play so I really don't know to what extent you have adapted or changed the pokemon world in this story but I'm guessing it's quite a lot. And. It. Is. Awesome.

Seriously. The world-building in this is phenomenal. I'm enjoying all the explanations, and the gritty details and expansions on the few aspects of pokemon I do remember. You just took the game and made it real, dude. There isn't one aspect of this story I don't like, and it keeps getting better and better. I greatly enjoyed the beginning, I greatly enjoyed the middle, and this last chapter was definitely my favourite.

The interludes are entertaining, too. The nine-tails story, though confusing at first, definitely payed out by the end (because let's face it, Blue and Red are both full of win, but Blue is funnier). I don't know how you come up with stuff like the ninetails and Misty's gym and Oak getting a town and the Blastoise but keep doing it.

The most epic scenes for me were Red and pikachu fighting together for the first time, and them frying the level badge at Misty's. In fact I'm really looking forwards to that shit hitting the fan, see what Misty does and how badly or not Red deals with it.

Of course you have me on my toes with the switching between the past and present, slowly revealing the scene and all the stuff running in the background while Red tells his story.

As for Red himself? His moments of brilliance and his screw ups and his bipolar luck all combine to make him a great character. Strong, but not as much as some, talented and creative, but not invincible, he's been growing and developing throughout the story, shaped by his triumphs as much as the walls and difficulties he's encountered. The internal conflicts he faces are realistic and interesting. Great job on him. He grows on me.

If there's one thing it's the dialogue. I mean, Red speaking but no indication of it until the next line of dialogue, so we have to go back and guess when he's actually speaking or just thinking, based on the answer the other character gives. Which is, you know, more interesting and mentally stimulating than normal dialogue, but when I'm racing through a chapter heart in my throat eager to find out what happens next, that kinda slows me down.

Man this is getting long. I wanted to talk about the awesomeness that is Pikachu but I'll just leave it here. You are fantastic, your story is fantastic, and I know you just updated but please please please write the next chapter soon. Fail at life if you must. But write the next chapter SOON.

Also your writing style reminds me of The Name of the Wind, have you read that?

Inconditional fan,
Zbluez
Draco Oblivion chapter 12 . 2/5/2015
Wow that was intense and kinda awesome. Really love the form of communication he's building up to, some sort of telepathic/empathic link. Either way it's awesome. Not sure about some of the dialogue since you had Surge responding to what I thought was going on in only the narration but it'd be pretty cool if that was actually just a commentary on the the complexity and uniqueness of language. Tbh not really sure what I can say since it could be a mistake or a purposeful step towards some greater meaning but this story is awesome either way so keep it up!
UnlimitedFreeIceCream chapter 12 . 2/5/2015
Wow. Just... wow. I tip my hat to you good sir/ma'am. This chapter was absolutely stunning, I struggled to find any fault even in terms of just a phrase or sentence feeling off, and the only thing I got was the mild confusion I felt when cold storage was first mentioned and then the narration went on to describe a boulder that wasn't really one, which immediately made me assume this would be that cold storage, but ended up being a Blastoise.
A chapter 11 . 2/5/2015
One mistake: you mention that Samurai Gozen is betrothed to Janine in the end notes, but she's referred to as "Jasmine" in the text, who IIRC, is another gym leader entirely.
Nessie chapter 12 . 2/4/2015