Reviews for The Game of Champions
hansolo18 chapter 9 . 3/23
This is by far one of the best stories I have ever read. It's exceptionally well thought out and you created a diverse logical and most importantly realistic setting from a franchise that does not lend itself to realism. Fantastic job!
lesnave chapter 1 . 3/21
Another great chapter! I'm pretty confused on the ending, but I think that's kind of the for the update. Still the best story I have read on Pokemon changed the way I thought about the world.
thepkrmgc chapter 3 . 3/18
the life of a trainer seems to be a hard one, i wonder what red means by his revolution?
thepkrmgc chapter 2 . 3/18
methinks that red is the son of ashford, it explains his eyes and understanding of the language
thepkrmgc chapter 1 . 3/18
interesting start, red seems to have the makings of a sociopath
DigitalCore chapter 12 . 3/17
Shit son, I don't even have WORDS for this. (Well, I do, but I'm well and truly GOBSMACKED.)

Let me begin by saying that this is - quite possibly - the best piece of fiction I have ever read, if not in my top 5. The quality is astounding; you've put care, attention, and effort into every single chapter, and it shows in a spectacular manner. Your detail is deep enough to paint a masterpiece of the surroundings, the action, the characters themselves, and yet you still leave just enough to the imagination to give it an almost magical feel.

Characterisation. I can find very, very few faults. Even with the fairly wide cast of characters that have come and gone, you've somehow managed to breathe life into each and every one of them, each with their own unique flavours of personality. Blue specifically. I used to HATE Blue. I hated him with a passion ever since he beat me in my very first pokémon battle because he was so SMUG and COCK-SURE about it I wanted to reach into my Gameboy Colour and punch him.
Now, I love the guy.
Your portrayal is of a character that - whilst still a young boy - radiates authority, snark, and copious amounts of WIN like a bloody nuclear reactor fires off gamma rays 'n shit. His 'I don't give a shit.' attitude to every person he deems unworthy (everyone besides Red) makes him seem like such a douche, but it fits him so well I can't imagine him otherwise. He goes and one-ups a God-Knows-How-Old Ninetails with his 1337 chessmaster 5ki11Z. He transcends the bounds of badassery as they have been defined.

And then, you have Red.
Calm. Cool. Collected. Barely anything can phase him, and when it does, he generally recovers from it soon afterwards and doesn't dwell on it. He reeks of success and determination, and I can tell that by this story's end, we will see so much awesome on his behalf he may rip the universe in half with it. My only issue with him is that he sometimes seems almost overwhelmingly detached from his situation, and it kind of makes him seem a little inhuman. These are few and far between though, so they are barely an issue.

The presentation of pokémon combat is exactly how I always imagined it: thick, fast, and brutal. There are no rating constraints, only pure, unrestrained violence in a furious brawl to the death. Behind the screen of fainting that Gamefreak throws up, we have actual character death shown in all its visceral glory. Stories like this almost beg for it. It's what makes them complete. It's amazing.

I would write more, but most of it would consist of a very long series of questions relating to background information you may not have considered. I may come up with them at a later date, and I would consider myself honoured if you took the time to answer them.

Thanks for the great story!
I have no words to describe how amazing your work is. It is simply the best story I've ever read. I was amazed when I saw this new chapter, I thought that you had let this die before I even found it, now I'm going to be checking this site for the next chapter till my f5 key wears out.
K. A. Pryde chapter 6 . 3/15
I don't often review anymore but I have to say that at this point I was gobsmacked. This is astonishing; you are phenomenal. Please continue.
Dentro del Infinito chapter 12 . 3/15
Well, what can I say? It's been a fun ride up until now. No discearnable grammar mistakes, a continuous sense of flow, and just about the right ammount of detail to immerse you in the story without being overwhelming. Oh, and the plot is damn nice, too. Really looking forward the rest of this tale, man. Keep it up.
zestycrouton chapter 12 . 3/14
Can I just begin by saying that this is one of the single greatest stories I've yet read on this site? And I've been here for over a decade, so that's saying something. The entire pokemon section owes you a debt of gratitude, because up until now, and with but one exception, I fully believed that there were no decent fics to be found here. How wrong I was.

I was a little caught off-guard at first with the sheer brutality you illustrated here; not between pokemon, but with Red's interactions with them, particularly at the beginning with the Venomoths and the Pikachu. Not that it was poorly done in any way; I suppose I'm just not used to seeing it play out in stories, but I'm not complaining that you did. It adds a layer of believability to a world full of super-powered monsters, and makes the battles seem much more intense when we know that 'fainting' isn't the most likely outcome of failure.

I love the level of depth you add to characters like Brock and Misty, and the relationship between Red and Blue. There are just so many things about this story that I love, and if I sit here and list them all, it might just rival the length of one of your chapters. I guess I'll spare you that trauma... though I have to say- the chapters told from Blue's point of view are some of my favorite. You've managed to capture his personality so completely that at times I have to remind myself that this isn't cannon. Also, Red trades a poliwhirl for a jynx named Lola? Brilliant reference. Ten points to you.

I'm assuming Red is going to eventually capture the mon's he has available when you battle him at the end of Gold and Silver? Or are you running the HG/SS team? If I remember correctly, one of them had an Espeon and the other didn't, though I can't remember which one. As for Blue, I initially assumed he'd have his team from the end of G/S as well, which I think included a Tyranitar, but I don't think he had a Ninetails, so maybe I'm wrong and you're just doing what you want, which is fine by me.

I guess if I have any complaint, it's just the slow updates. I know I just found this story yesterday, but judging by the initial post and update dates, you take a good long while writing each chapter. I'd complain, but what's the point when each installment is so expertly crafted? Besides, you mentioned you're in the airforce now, and I have mad respect for that. I guess I'll just let this review end now.

Thanks for all you do,
Keep it Zesty,

ZC
Addles28 chapter 12 . 3/11
Can you please update soon I know you are in the Air force and your free time is somewhat limited but the acticipation is real.
Ranglar chapter 12 . 3/11
Over 79 thousand stories in this category and not a single one comes close to being as good as this one. The dialogue, the world building, the characters, and everything else is amazingly good. Thank you.
Unidentified chapter 12 . 3/9
Also, Red is developing his psychic abilities, and has reached the level of advanced trainer sense. And Lt. Surge is carrying Mewtwo's pokeball. Or maybe one of the Thee Birds'. Still more foreshadowing!
Unidentified chapter 12 . 3/9
Red's going to come back eventually, right? And I wonder if he's going to adopt a Squirtle, or Big Brother?
This is a damn good story. I'm not even that big on the Pokémon series though I have played both red and blue back in the day.

Your portrayal of both Red and blue are phenomenal and truly paint the pictures of rough boys in the path to their legends.
The ever changing Story POV keeps things interesting and you really add that extra element to things with the Time Skips between the beginning and current events of the story.
I look forward to your next update.

Your new fan,