Reviews for The Game of Champions
TwoTeethTim chapter 12 . 6/25
The reason this is one of my most favorite fics is the way you presented such a unique and dark world to Pokemon and then somehow made me love it. I know that this fic is long due for an update and that such an update is unlikely to come about anytime. That's why I'd like to really explain what this fic does insanely well.

All the characters are so unique. There is not a single character that I did not enjoy. Red is obviously my favorite. He's ambitious, nearly to the point of sociopathy, but he has to be in the world such as theirs. The random times where he fails or makes some exclamation reminds me that he isn't some mastermind despite how close he is to one. Blue is great. He presents a different approach to what Red does, but progresses in the same way. I can only picture the grandiose final showdown.

My biggest adoration is the world you've crafted. It's dangerous and insanely dark, with death and carnage as would befit the world full of hostile monsters. Scenes such as the Venomoth slaughter are so far away from the cute and fluffy Pokemon games and anime. I love it. You've spun an established world completely on its head, yet provided such a detailed reimagining. Pokemon are now akin to deities due to how powerful they are. There is that sense of actual danger and awe that seems to be absent from the typical Pokemon fics.

As for what I'm looking forward to in the future, I'm looking forward to seeing Red's team become assembled. If you're going off of what Red has in the 2nd gen games, I'm curious as to how he will acquire an Espeon. The interactions between Espeon and Blue's Umbreon, I'm sure, will be legendary. Snorlax too will be epic to catch considering how god-like its species is. Finally, I'm waiting for Pikachu's christening. After everything it's done, it has to have a badass title by now. Some reference to a thunder god?

Ultimately, I really can't describe in words how much I love your fic. I look forward to anything else you may add, L. Lamora. Even if the story does not go beyond where it is currently, you've built a marvelous fic that I hope others can learn from. Just know that any further writing you may do will be greatly applauded by hundreds of people like me. Best wishes.
I still check this page every couple months, hoping Lamora will come back and finish one of the most enjoyable reads I've ever had.

I don't even know if he will see this post, but, one can hope.

If you do see this, you have a talent, good luck and best wishes in whatever endeavor keeps you from this story. Thank you for what you have written, and I'll keep checking this page for years to come, while I have not much hope, I have so much to gain.
Dude! this fic! soo cool!
GGG chapter 2 . 6/11
Blue's voice is very 20s sci-fi/horror! Like War of the Worlds or The Nameless City.

Also, um.

"…red eyes…"
"…hadn't copied them right, as they had always worked fine for me."
"…notably absent of any partner save her Pokemon."

Am I going to have to kinkshame Red's mother? Is that a thing that I will have to do? I'll do it! I won't be happy about doing it but I will if it becomes necessary.

Also the PokeDex and worldbuilding stuff is very fun. Like an engaging travel guide.
InsertEdgyName chapter 10 . 5/31
This is so fucking beautiful! I hope that you'll continue doing the best fanfic I have ever read.
Nogoodnms chapter 12 . 5/24
Man, I really hope this gets continued someday. I generally don't like Pokémon but you really created a cool world and you wrote it beautifully. I love your writing style with the interrogation. Hoping to see more.
NZ Boy chapter 12 . 5/21
This fic is hands down the best I have read on this site. The characters are all so real and fleshed out in this work. Red is your calculating, pragmatic underdog. Blue is your magnificent bastard. Team Rocket is a force to be reckoned with, instead of a laughable joke. And this fic makes the world of pokemon so real, that no random person can become the pokemon champion willy nilly. The small details (the idols, Lt. Surge's beef with Wattson, geopolitical conflicts, the starting quotes) really showed the care you put into the work. This fiction is not just a good fiction; its a work of art. It is a real pity that this fiction will, in all likelihood, never be updated, seeing as it has been more than two years since your last update. L. Lamora, if you ever read this, should know that I have never seen a review section with so much praise for a fiction as this one and I hope that you will one day pick up this fiction again. But regardless good luck in the army and thanks for reading this review.
oppaihammer chapter 1 . 5/17
you have more than earned my sub and follows..this is just amazing
oppaihammer chapter 1 . 5/17
wow this is amazing, the character development you are doing is so perfectly written
oppaihammer chapter 3 . 5/16
aww red killed the pregnant pokmon
other than that, this is very well written and really interesting
Sooo awesome!
vonSchlieffen chapter 12 . 5/12
Fucking fantastic! This is a really excellent story with great characterization and world-building, plot twists, and something most unusual is fanfiction: a sense of realism. I know that's paradoxical, but truly, Red's explorations and interactions are visceral-they come of the screen in a magical way and it's easy enough to imagine them happening to a really cool and brilliant and interesting person.

And let's not forget how awesome your characters are; badass motherfuckers, cold fucking bitches, brilliant lunatics, egomaniacs, and indomitable survivors who know exactly what they want and wont stop at anything to get it. What a perfect world for a Pokemon story, where survival of the fittest is the only rule of the game.

Bravo!
jensen.rr chapter 1 . 5/3
Hands down my favorite fanfic of all time.
Classic Mecraphone chapter 12 . 5/3
Been about 2 years plus change since the last update so I feel rather confident in assuming there'll never be another one (A shame since I was looking forward to the interrogation room scene conclusion, since after a few chapters it's basically announced that Red has a plan, or at least allies, that are making moves of their own. Reminded me of the ending of Caine's Law).
That said the chapters we did get are incredible, and 2 points in particular nailed it for me.
1) The way world-building was frequently woven into the narrative itself, of how characters speak of events as if they've lived in this world their entire lives instead of sitting the audience down and explaining the whole thing to them. Perfect example being of how the city-destroying Snorlax is treated more along the lines of a natural disaster that people just have to deal with rather than some grand arc unto it's own.
2) The gym leaders and their Pokemon. Seriously, the way each town's culture reflects it's gym leader was awesome. Brock and Pewter having a very 'native' and 'boomtown' feel to it, encapsulated by a very Native American view of the Onix as a patron saint/god of sorts. Misty and Cerulean's very public and media centered testing process, reflected in her drive to look her best and protect her cities image. And while we were cut short of Surge's arc, the very military and regimented town of Vermilion was shaping up to be just as enticing.
Sucks that this fic is cancelled (barring some sort of miracle revitalization), but absolutely worth a read regardless.
ItzFlame chapter 1 . 4/26
Wow! Dude, this is amazing! See, these kinds of stories deserve the #1 spot on the favorites board, and not some story about Ash making out with Gary, or growing his harem. I commend you on your proper use of grammar technique and your writing style, because it far surpasses anything I've read thus far. Keep up the good work!
1,181 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »