Reviews for The Game of Champions
WellWhatDoYouKnow chapter 4 . 4/15
"The answer, as usual, lied in the middle" lied should be lay
WellWhatDoYouKnow chapter 3 . 4/15
I've heard many people say this is the best work in the pokemon fandom and one of the best fanfics ever written. I'd have to agree. That being said, Typos: "and I ignored me when I tried to communicate"
Possible missing word:"when disaster with a sharp electromagnetic snap"
raspberrypirate chapter 12 . 4/13
Please continue this, it's excellent!

The dark, gritty narrative can be overdone, but in this story it's buoyed by moments of friendliness and joy, with a compelling and smoothly developing storyline. Speaking of, underlying story, which is hinted at in each chapter, pulls you into the world. Don't let us get stuck halfway in!
dktsubani chapter 12 . 4/4
Alright, the first thing that I'd like to mention: the broad scope of this is absolutely amazing. Even with the slow pace I find that it's absolutely worth it, if only for the vast range of emotion and concepts that you're exploring here. 10/10 for that!

The second thing that I'm getting is the foreshadowing; I'm guessing that the double(-turned-triple) agent is Lt. Surge, and based on what he said on being promised Wattson's life, he's playing along with Team Rocket and Giovanni in order to achieve that goal. (Which begs the question of what's in the pokeball and the thing that Giovanni does not know is in the interrogation room. I'm guessing it's something highly dangerous that could quite possibly kill everyone in the room. But I digress.)

Thirdly, I need to rave about your use of first-person. Because there's not a lot of people that can pull off a first-person narrative without it becoming exposition or pure info-dump, in my opinion, and you just pulled it off spectacularly. Kudos for that!

I'll be definitely following this story (I've already added you to my list, ha, back in chapter... 5?) and stay safe with the Air Force! Waiting time is definitely worth it with this. :D

I look forward to seeing what else you come up with!

-dktsubani
The Reader and Writer chapter 12 . 4/3
This is a fantastic story. It is one of the most unique ways of story telling I have ever read on this site. It is a flashback-interview style that works so well with the way you have progressed the story. I really can't wait for more. You have a fantastic story here. This is much more logical to how the Pokemon would would actually be compared to both the Anime and the games. . Great job!
Black Eclipsed Soul chapter 12 . 4/1
Awesome story! I was so engaged by your writing I just couldn't stop reading until I caught up, so I can't wait to read the next chapter now! keep up the great work :)
North of Saffron and east of Celadon- you implied that Sabrina and Erika are even bigger bitchez than Misty, and hell I am dying to see them.
You've made gym leaders what they're meant to be; pokebattling legends and veterans. It seems every gym leader has their flagship pokemon, with Sky-Eater, Aion the immortal and the yet to be seen in proper badass action, Blitz the war vet blitzkrieg.
Continuing this trend, let me make the assumption of Erika having a monster-eating victreebel that can digest golems in a few hours. Ivysaur's chosen pokevenom being Oda's ire, the japanese gym leader Koga with his massive dragon-snake of an arbok named Oda. Sabrina's alakazam- I don't even wanna go there. Blaine would whistle and bring his own fucking heatran from the Cinnabar volcano- amirite? Your writing is so amazing that I spend hours imagining the future of your story. Were this a book, I'd buy it for the price of a gold nugget.
dekomazuda.kt chapter 4 . 3/27
I am in love with this fanfiction. I like the games for their light hearted childishness and the show for the same reason, but its refreshing to see pokemon from a realistic, adult perspective. Its a shame you can't publish this as an actual book, because it's amazing so far!
Jayden chapter 12 . 3/27
Hi, I just wanted to say that everything you've written here has truly been amazing. This is the Pokemon world that I grew up in and this is the world I so desperately want to be a part of now in the newer games. You've shown a very in depth, interesting world full of passion and marvels and I've loved every minute of reading it. I hope you are having as good a time writing this as I am reading it :) I'm a director and I've taking a few screen writing classes and this is very well made as well, compelling, interesting, characters are very true to how they were established and they seem to be changing (the chapter with Bluee and this most recent one on reds first loss really added some depth to them) Keep up the good work.

If there might be one flaw it would be that the story is structured in second person with red telling others his story (it's just something I personally don't like) however you break it often, keep the story flowing and it is never reduced to something like "I did this, I did that"

And I have to say your use of culture, themes, and race is very well executed. Everything from the sumo matches in the sand to Brock's race to the sprinkled in imperial Japanese is balanced well enough not to be overused but also to create a great feel of the world that is fantastic.

Now don't get a big head or anything, you still are only up to the third badge. Keep producing the amazing stuff you are and I'll keep praising you awesomeness. Heck just call me your "champ in the making" guy. Here to tell you how you did after every gym leader... Ahem, chapter.

Keep making this beauty!
Red Guardsman chapter 12 . 3/27
Read the entire story. Magnificent work, if a little short. Can I bribe you with anything to start this up again?
Unknownlight chapter 12 . 3/26
This story is phenomenal. Among the top-tier books that I've read, which is saying something because I've read a lot of excellent books over the years.

I've presumed since the first chapter of the story that Red is half-human, half-mistermine (or has mistermime DNA splicing, or something to that effect). I'm glad that we've finally gotten to see Red start to learn his powers in the most recent chapter. I'm really looking forward to how this develops.

I've also noticed that Red never actually has any dialogue throughout the entire story; the narration just explains WHAT he said, without any dialogue. I've figured that this was a reference to how Red never speaks in the games, but I might as well ask. Is it, or is it just your writing style?

You may want to change the character tags for the story. Right now it says "Red & Blue/Green (unspecified)". That's because FFN clarified the character tags a while back, and what you're using is the temporary tag until you change it to the proper one. The one you want is "Blue O./Green O. (male)".

Amazing story! I'm eagerly looking forward to the next chapter!
hansolo18 chapter 9 . 3/23
This is by far one of the best stories I have ever read. It's exceptionally well thought out and you created a diverse logical and most importantly realistic setting from a franchise that does not lend itself to realism. Fantastic job!
lesnave chapter 1 . 3/21
Another great chapter! I'm pretty confused on the ending, but I think that's kind of the for the update. Still the best story I have read on Pokemon changed the way I thought about the world.
thepkrmgc chapter 3 . 3/18
the life of a trainer seems to be a hard one, i wonder what red means by his revolution?
thepkrmgc chapter 2 . 3/18
methinks that red is the son of ashford, it explains his eyes and understanding of the language
919 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »