Reviews for The Game of Champions
Eljakob chapter 8 . 2/10/2013
Again, I am in awe of your command of this tale. As a longtime Pokemon enthusiast, having read the manga, played the games, and watched the TV series, I honestly find this to be one of the pinnacles of my Pokemon experience. The progression of the bond between Red and Pikachu grows steadily, though in small increments which keep with both of their characterizations. The constantly changing mixture of respect and irritation the two find with each other remains undaunted, highlighting the respect they are gradually learning for each other while staying true to their respective warrior mentalities. The pokebattling style is, as always, glorious, allowing for ingenuity while keeping with the idea of different moves. The introduction of Green I found highly enjoyable, as I'm a fan of the Red/Green/Blue motif from the manga series. Green's introduction gives the protagonist a possible romantic subplot, though I could also readily see her become an obstacle to his journey as well. Regardless of her role, I hope to hear more about Green in the future. In conclusion, an excellent continuation of Red's epic and an intersting and enjoyable introduction to Red's Bulbasaur. I hope to hear more from this story soon!
Silver W. King chapter 6 . 2/8/2013
You know what's funny, I stopped following pokemon and lost interest in it long ago. I do read pokemon fics because there is nothing for me to get existed about or enjoy. I only looked this story up from a link that was in a debate about writers and their writing styles.

And yet, the moment I started reading, I couldn't stop. There was just a way with your words that made me want to know more. Want to see more and find out what happens in this story. This story might be considered dark for a pokemon story. I would say it is realistic in an unbelievable way. I read this and I think, "you know what, if pokemon did exist in the real world, this was how Red's story would be."

This is definitely one of the best stories that I read in this site and I hope to see you continue it to the end.
cmostby chapter 8 . 2/7/2013
Wow. I have to say that I am picky. I enjoy elements of ff.n, but there are only three Pokemon fanfictions that I have been able to read without closing them after the first chapter. This is one of them- and it's that way not simply for readability, but for pure development and realistic storyline. The backstory and character development, combined with the blending of game, show, and manga are masterfully pulled together by your storytelling. Needless to say, this is on my follow list- I eagerly await more.
abandonedaccount37289 chapter 8 . 2/6/2013
This story is really amazing, I can't stop thinking about it and over analyzing everything. You've mangaged to put the games and anime together with some realism, and it's just breath taking. And the way you're telling the story, it's the perfect choice, I really want to know what happens at the end. Man, I just love this story. :) Update soon please!
Amazing Story chapter 8 . 1/29/2013
This truly is an incredible piece of work. I find it the amount of realism incorporated into this story to be outstanding. I absolutely love how you have taken the light-hearted world that the franchise normally depicts and turned it into something much more dark and complex.

I also LOVE your depiction of all the characters. I especially loved the chapter that was an interlude from Blue's pov as it allowed me to learn much about why he acts the way he does and about his interactions with Red. I wonder if you would ever do another interlude chapter, one from Leaf's (or Green as she is called in your story) pov. (This is just a thought though! ). Finally, I love the depth put into Red's character and I can't wait to read more of the story so I can learn more about him. One of the main things I liked in regards to Red is how you built his relationship with Pikachu. I like the fact that they didn't get along right away and that Red had to earn Pikachu's trust. Also, although I am admittedly not a fan of the BurningLeafShipping in the last chapter (I actually found this fic while looking for NamelessShipping fics) I have to say that you did a good job structuring the relationship between Red and Leaf (aka Green but whatever) and the scenes with the two of them are so well written that it almost doesn't matter to me that I'm not a fan of the pairing. Overall I feel that you handle relationship building between characters exceptionally well.

Now for some criticism: ... to be honest, there isn't much to critique on other than a few minor grammatical errors and the slow update speed, both of which I know other reviewers have already mentioned. I really, REALLY love this story so I do wish you would update faster, however I also understand that it must take quite awhile to be able to produce such high quality chapters with the amount of detail that is found within each chapter of this story. So, I will conclude my review by saying thank you for writing this wonderful depiction of Red's journey through Kanto.
Z chapter 8 . 1/27/2013
Brilliant, simply brilliant!

This story is exactly what I've been looking for in pokemon fanfiction. No other story I've read on here comes even close to it. It is everything I've wished to find.

From the grim realistic way you describe the pokemon world, to the bad-ass protagonist that, sure, is an underdog, but has all the ambition and all the potential to reach his goals.

Your fight scenes are exciting and very well written (which is very rare and at least to me, a huge deal). The way you describe your characters (pokemon and people), with actions instead of just words and the depth you give them is amazing. How you build up relationships between them as well. The small but awesome allusions you give to the anime/games sometimes, while still clearly building your own universe (Blue was here, Red is a loser), brilliant. All these things and so much more is what makes this fic stand out from all the rest.

Like reviewers have said before, the only negative thing I can find (except for a few meaningless typos) is the lack of content and the update speed. Don't worry though, just make sure you keep writing and providing the same kind of quality you've done so far. Most importantly, please(!) don't give up on this story, it is a long way until it's finished, but it would be A DAMN SHAME if this story didn't make it all the way to the end

There are so many more things I could applaud and frankly if it hadn't been for copyright laws I would have seriously pushed for this being published. Instead I'll leave with this.

Thank you very much for the story. I'll be hangning around waiting eagerly to see how this pans out.
Guest chapter 8 . 1/25/2013
Okay. I cannot believe how amazing this story is. I love everything about it, from your characterization of Red to your rendition of the Pokemon World. Gaah, this story is just so incredible that I can't even begin to describe how much I love it.

Please, please, PLEASE update as quickly as you can! I need to know what happens next!
PK Samurai chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
Your beginning is wonderful too. It reminds me somewhat of Patrick Rothfuss' "The Name of the Wind." But judging from your username, you draw inspiration from Locke Lamora (another great series).
PK Samurai chapter 3 . 1/22/2013
It's interesting how cold-blooded Red is. Usually most representations show him as a, well, "monster-hugger" was it? But your Red is willing to just cut these venemoth up, not to mention he contemplated beating Pikachu into submission at one point. Very interesting.
PK Samurai chapter 5 . 1/22/2013
I also noticed that Red never "says" anything, which I think is a clever tip of the hat to canon.
PK Samurai chapter 6 . 1/22/2013
Your representation of Blue is extremely amusing. I wouldn't mind seeing more of these.
PK Samurai chapter 7 . 1/22/2013
I also think this story needs more reviews, so I'll leave a couple more.

I do like the detail you add to characters in this story, like Giovanni in this chapter, that really fleshes out their background in a way the canon never bothered to.
PK Samurai chapter 8 . 1/22/2013
Amazing.

Your storytelling skills are nearly flawless, second to none that I have read so far, and I have read many. The way you write is gorgeous...publishable quality, and I'm envious of the skill you have. The only flaws are merely technical; there are some mishaps with grammar (particularly in the usage of tenses).

The story is also very compelling, and I'm curious to know how Red came to be that way. I hope you update soon.
Guest chapter 8 . 1/17/2013
Keep 'em coming. I'm hooked! Your writing breathes new life into the whole Kanto story. I'll be waiting!
Hunter Johnston chapter 8 . 1/17/2013
I need the next one. I need it bad. Please keep writing and get it to us as soon as possible. Thank you so much for this. I have enjoyed it greatly and can not wait for the next one
937 | « Prev Page 1 .. 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 54 .. Last Next »