Reviews for Two Very Different Coins
clh chapter 11 . 6/6/2016
I thought Hunith was a little hypocritical in this, being disappointed in Merlin for lying to HER when she's been teaching him to lie to everyone else his entire life. If you're gonna raise a kid so that keeping secrets in second nature to him, you can't really expect it never to backfire on you.
RomulusThePlanet chapter 8 . 6/6/2016
Poor Arthur. He really needs a mother. Maybe Ygraine is reaching down to him through the moonlight.
clh chapter 1 . 6/5/2016
So far so good. This is the first Arthur as a child story I've managed to find where Uther's not either too nice and cuddly or a horrible abusive a-hole. So far your version's more balanced and much more consistent with the way he is in the show.
DELETED9ACCOUNT9 chapter 12 . 1/24/2016
I don't think I've read another story which portrays the parallel between those two so well, while also remaining true to the original. All I can say is well done!
LiveAndLetRain chapter 12 . 4/24/2013
*happy sigh* The first episode. Fond memories. It seems so long ago (even though I only started watching last summer.)
I so dearly love their reactions to the news that Merlin will be Arthur's manservant. Your inside look at that was very good, and very funny!
Lucky. I hope that the convention worked out well for you (more than a year later!) That would be very exciting!
This was an amazing story and I'm sad that I've reached the end. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it and share it with us.
Cheers
LiveAndLetRain chapter 11 . 4/24/2013
GARRGH! I want to strangle Uther! I want to dance on his grave! I want… ARGH!
The dungeons!? Excuse me a moment.
*Goes off into the corner and screams*
I. Hate. Uther’s. Slimy. Guts! Arthur is what? Seventeen? Eighteen?

Okay, eighteen then.
Oo. That wouldn’t go over well. Mom doesn’t like it when you lie to her.

The art is very good! (besides the Arthur and Merlin art, I really like the Toothless watercolor.)
LiveAndLetRain chapter 10 . 4/24/2013
Go Leon! You tell ‘im!
“And those that did not like it…They were dealt with.” This line was gut-wrenching.
Hang in there Leon. Someone’ll eventually show up who’ll be able to get through to him *whistles innocently* I wonder who that could be…

And the reveal to Will! He’s a good friend that one.
LiveAndLetRain chapter 9 . 4/24/2013
Ah, girls. The downfall of every teenage boy.
And Morgana joins the cast. Basking in the superiority of feminine intuition (or just plain old I-have-eyes-in-my-head-you-dolt)
And she is smirking. *dramatic music* forshadowing!
Oh Uther, it’s harmless puppy love! He has his first crush just let it go!

"Merlin," she called softly, watching his head snap back towards her. "Do not toy with the clouds so. We need the rain." She is so matter-of-fact about it! Have I mentioned that I love Hunith? (And your portrayal of her.)

This chapter made me think of Gwen and Freya. (I love how Arthur and Gwen are so awkward around each other in the early days of the show. It is adorable. And Merlin can’t make strawberries!)
LiveAndLetRain chapter 8 . 4/24/2013
You are not paranoid if they really are out to get you. If you are Arthur Pendragon, they really are out to get you.
UTHER YOU COLD HEARTLESS (long string of obsceneties)! *hugs Arthur*
And enter Sir Leon the Awesome! The Knight Who Cannot Die! (And now Arthur has someone who gives a damn. Besides Gaius.)

Oh Merlin. *tears up* his greatest fear is himself. I’m going to go sob in a corner now.
Merlin. You couldn’t stop using magic no matter how hard you tried. Try something easier. Like stop breathing.
LiveAndLetRain chapter 7 . 4/24/2013
I love the opening quote!

Oh Arthur.

Awww. Poor Will and Merlin. It is really sad when that little baby animal you were taking care of died. (I once was helping a baby bluebird with a damaged leg that I rescued from my dog. I kept it in a shoebox on top of our car for several days, it’s parents came and fed it and everything. Then it tried to fly and my cat caught it and ate it. I think I was about nine.)

I have no problem with hunting. Particularly in that era, when sometimes, your next meal depended on it. What I do have a problem with, is the killing of the doe and her fawn. You just don’t do that unless you are starving to death. You just don’t. (On a side note, Merlin and Will would have a more practical outlook on hunting. “Ooh, look. We’ll actually get dinner tonight!”)
LiveAndLetRain chapter 6 . 4/24/2013
*sigh* With Arthur, it sometimes seems like “one step forwards, two steps back.”
Poor Arthur. Bootlickers. They already begin to congregate and he isn’t even a teenager yet. That being said…he is a prat. To use an Americanism, which I am much more familiar with, he is a conceited little jerk. Some of that is his fault of course, his own decisions, but at this point, the great majority of the blame rests squarely on Uther’s shoulders.

Awww. Will protecting Merlin! Children can be so cruel.
It’s good that Merlin has someone there to tell him, as Gauis says in the first episode, that he isn’t a monster. It isn’t his fault that his parents weren’t married, or that he has magic…he can’t help any of that.

The art is lovely. Please convey my compliments to your mother!
LiveAndLetRain chapter 5 . 4/24/2013
Gaius is back!
Arthur must have gotten the compassion from his mother. Or it is all his own. I don’t think Uther has any.
"I was seeing to my people. They needed my help, I felt compelled to give it to them." It’s nice to see early glimpses of the Once and Future King.
“…for the first, that Arthur's mind began to question his father's words.” YES! *fist-pump*

This is a nice contrast! Ways they are similar. Merlin is such an idiot. Such a wonderful, Merlin-ish idiot. *smiles fondly*

Arthur thinking for himself, Merlin being Merlin…what more can we ask for!

I love this chapter so much. Thank you for sharing it with us.
LiveAndLetRain chapter 4 . 4/24/2013
No such thing as a wrong order?! So, Uther would have everyone be mindless automatons, following his every bloodthirsty whim without question.
Someone really needs to explain to that man the value of POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT!

Hunith, you give Merlin everything he needs. Home, food, and love. Lots and lots of love. (I have the deepest of respect for Hunith, fictional character or no. How every hair on her head isn’t grey…)
Merlin’s lessons are so cute. He’s so focused!
“…‘Will says I'm an idiot,’ he revealed, smiling broadly. ‘But it's alright when he says it. He's not being mean, is he? He means it nicely.’” It seems that Merlin had practice with “Idiot” being used as a term of endearment!

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Hunith is awesome. She’s probably my favorite minor character in the show. (One of my top 3 favorite characters in the show. Period!)
LiveAndLetRain chapter 3 . 4/24/2013
Oh Arthur, poor baby. Uther, just love him! And show it!
Aww! He said thank you! It’s nice to know that he did once have manners.
*sigh* It seems the hunting craze began very, very early.
UTHER YOU (bad word)! HE’S FREAKIN’ FIVE!
Oh Arthur. Oh Arthur. Poor, poor child.
I must agree with the prisoner on some things. (Not the bit about Arthur killing him though. I agree with Merlin on this one. First, Arthur would have never forgiven himself, second, patricide and regicide are not the ways to become a great king.)

You are an expert at yanking on heartstrings you know that. First with Arthur, now with Merlin…
“Smile even when you’re hurting.” Yep, that’s one of Merlin’s life rules right there.
The flip between Arthur and Merlin is so…not jarring but…drastic. That’ll do, drastic. Love and hate, kindness and unkindness…Poor Igraine. I doubt she would like what her husband is turning her son into. (Luckily Arthur was able to break at least partially free.)

And yes, Arthur would hero-worship him, who else does he have to hero-worship.
LiveAndLetRain chapter 2 . 4/24/2013
Oh Arthur. Poor child, he never stood a chance did he? But he is so cute trying so hard to be brave.

And Merlin...well, some things don't seem to change much over time! But he is too young to begin building his scar collection. Too young!

"Whether it was plain clumsiness or a more sinister attempt to prevent destiny," I find this phrase very ominous. It is a heartbreaking possibility that, as early as this, evil was trying to stop him. By any means.

This is a wonderful chapter. The way you set up the people they become is very well done. Congragulations!