Reviews for Happy Christmas
Yellowtail555 chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
I really liked this but I'm sorry, I had to laugh at the idea of a song making Bella smile. Although, I really felt bad for Rodolphus so good job for conveying the emotion and the way he still loves Bellatrix and wants to welcome her even if she's cheating on him with Voldemort. You really captured the feeling well. I don't see any spelling/grammar errors and overall, NICE!
Catatonic Muse chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
No pity. NO PITY! Beautifully written, but Rodolphus doesn't understand Bella, and she despises him. Perhaps it's better that she stayed away.
Simply Paranoia chapter 1 . 11/30/2011
Wow, you made me pity Rodolphus!

Great job with this! There were very vivid images in the story, very well described.

Mean, mean, and very naughty Bellatrix!
Amazon Star chapter 1 . 10/1/2011
I love your story!
Schermionie chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
Oh! No offence, but I wasn't expecting to like this much because it's requited Bellamort, and I find the idea of a sexualised Voldemort... odd, to put it nicely. But honestly, I loved this. It was written so well that I felt like you weren't trying to convince anyone of anything, and thus, I could enjoy it. Do you know what I mean? This was centred on the infidelity, but perhaps because it was from Rodolphus's viewpoint, somehow the Bellamort felt like more of an undercurrent of the story rather than the main event. All in all, it was also really interesting to read this because the only other fic I've read by you was mostly dialogue, and this one is the opposite. I have to say that I like your writing style on both counts, but that I preferred this one.

Because what I loved most about this story was its atmosphere. With mainly prose, there can be lots of description, and here it was quite vivid, and in just the right places. Your vocabulary was also wonderfully varied; I could visualise everything clearly, though the clock's chiming and the Christmas carollers were *brilliant* because they added *sound* to the picture you'd already created. There was something very melancholy about the carollers - I could well understand Rodolphus's mix of relief and anger at their distance, the sound of their voices drifting away and leaving him alone again... Best of all in creating this rich, real story, however, was the way you built it up and tied it all together; between all the questions, the 'tick, tock's and the way Rodolphus was thinking in circles, I ended up feeling on edge, too.

Nitpicks:

'If she was here, it might have put a smile on her face.' - I've consulted my 'Advanced Grammar in Use' book and I'm sure this should be 'If she'd/she had been here, it might have put a smile on her face.'

'He considered brewing a pot of tea...but crossing the Manor to get to the kitchens would mean that he would not be by the front door...' - 'Manor' should be 'manor'.

'Rodolphus stoked the fire, which had sank to only a few embers, glowing half-heartedly.' - When I look at it now, this sentence kind of makes me giggle. There shouldn't be a comma before 'glowing', because with one, it makes it sound as if Rodolphus is the one glowing. Also, 'had sank' should be 'had sunk'.

'Try as he might, he couldn't get them to flame up again.' - 'flame' should be 'flare' or some similar word: it's not a verb, so I don't think it can be used in this way.

I can't say I have anything else I could criticise about this, particularly. It did seem that at a couple of moments you used the old trick of pathetic fallacy, almost, but it did work to create the atmosphere I've just praised. And while it's strange to see a Death Eater being so weak, this worked, too, because of how well you went into (pretty much created) the dynamics of his and Bellatrix's relationship. Bellatrix's power magically - and she was a powerful witch - combined with Rodolphus's hopes that she would come back to him eventually provided a plausible explanation for his behaviour. Then, when I think about it, there's also Voldemort's power over his followers to account for.

Throughout this, you trod a fine line between making Rodolphus too weak and too strong. But, although he gave in and cried in the end, I think there is a certain twisted kind of strength in being able to live in that kind of situation and still have hope. I imagine that the next day, this hope might no longer be intact, but I don't imagine he's defeated. I like how this was their very first Christmas together - it made it seem even more important that she didn't come back, and it also means that they were still in the fairly early stages of their relationship, meaning it makes more sense that Rodolphus would still think that she would settle down eventually.

My favourite lines in this were:

'But they passed by, their voices fading into the distance, and somehow that angered him as well. Was he completely invisible? Did the carollers simply not see him, just as Bellatrix seemed not to see him?' - As I've said, I really liked this part because it added another layer to the scene. However, I also like it because it shows just how centred on Bellatrix Rodolphus is. I know what it's like to wait for someone so desperately that any distractions inevitably just remind you of the person you're trying to be distracted from, and you portrayed this so well here.

'That is, Rodolphus thought bitterly, he wouldn't understand why I'm letting her stay out. I'm her husband, I could order her to come home.' - It's not nice, but I can see this attitude being prevalent among the old pure-blood families, particularly.

'As if.

'Tick, tock, tick, tock, tickā€¦' - I can't feel sorry for him all that much, he's a Death Eater, but I *can* admire your writing here. And I am. ;)

'"Happy Christmas, Rod," he muttered to himself, and shut his eyes.' - *Perfect* ending, he shuts his eyes and then we leave him.

And that's pretty much all I can think to say! Thanks for writing this. It was most enjoyable... in an angsty way, of course.
Fourmille d'idees chapter 1 . 9/5/2011
Wow. This made me feel very bad for poor Rodolphus, even though he is a sick death eaater. Awsome job with the story!
blueisasome chapter 1 . 9/5/2011
Sad. I'd feel sorry for the guy if he wasn't a sadistic death eater.
obsessivegirl73 chapter 1 . 9/5/2011