Reviews for Days of Steam
Kount Xero chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
Ninamori, even at her most childish, has a hint of maturity, even if it's just a front - you capture that perfectly. Her lack of reaction to her parents' situation, her acceptant behavior towards her father's secretary as a fact of life, it all points to this.

Your fic also captures the air that Mabase is presented with: ordinary, dull, meaningless, depressive yet somehow strangely alluring and/or grounding. Which I love. Congrats on that.

I liked it.
September's Nobara chapter 1 . 9/28/2011
I had to look up Richard Burton in "Camelot", and, I hope this doesn't come across the 'wrong way', but I got a very strong feeling of John DeLancie (specifically Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation) in the short video I saw. I enjoyed your disclaimer, your story, and the clarification in your Author's Notes.

The way Ninamori is presented makes for eye-opening reading, and I really, really like how she's given a different character interpretation. It shows how, even at a young age, people are amazingly complex-especially in situations where they're in over their head. If only we could follow our own advice!

The nods to the source material is appreciated, and enhanced the reading experience (e.g., Ninamori's straightforward attitude about the jumping, and the train's hypothetical symbolism). The remark about the strategic owning of the train definitely sounds like something that would go through Ninamori's mind.

Really, I could go on about the details that I liked about reading this, though that'd take up more than the allowed space.

I think, with FLCL, it's a little difficult to try to channel the eccentric, yet necessary zaniness of the show. However, with Ninamori, seriousness but insincerity seems par for the course, whereas Naota appears to unintentionally have the strange factors gravitate to him (which is more part of his "main character" status). So, really, you did just fine here.

While I am intrigued and quite curious about what would happen should this continue, I enjoyed this as a stand-alone installment. Entertaining, thought-provoking, and a worth-while read. Great work, all in all.

Sincerely,