Reviews for A Riddle for Beowulf
Mornen chapter 1 . 6/13/2013
I like this a lot. It has a very old feel to it, and I see a lot of the Anglo-Saxon ideas. I especially enjoy your use of kennings. As a huge fan of Beowulf (and old English things in general), this poem resounded deeply with me.

"Banded with bone-daggers,

Drowning in hearth-gold?"

I just loved the alliterations in those two lines and how they bandied with each other.
Nicely done!
Restrained.Freedom chapter 1 . 12/24/2012
Poor Grendel... poor Grendel... poor Grendel.
He was so very shunned. He was an outcast. He lived a life so deprived of the company of comrades that in his great loneliness, he joined with the men of the great hall the only way they would permit him. He joined them in battle.
The men that he fought and stole away never accepted him as anything but an enemy, a beast, so he played the ’beast.’ He would do anything just to be part of some-company.
Little did he know that his desire to be a part of this group would cause him to lose part of his very self. Imagine the shock, the disbelief, that those who had shunned him so and wounded his heart with their rejections, could be so doubly cruel, and mortally mutilate his body as well...
Blind with misery, he runs to the one being in the world who willingly embraces him when he cries.
XD
This is my tribute to the story, as well as to your flavorful imagery.
innail chapter 1 . 6/22/2012
VERY NICE! I, too, read this in my senior year of High School (AKA the school yet that just ended). Imagine my delight when, in the finals, where we had to respond to a excerpt from a litcrit of Beowulf, I discovered that it was excerpt from TOLKIEN'S Beowulf-venerating essay! The fact that this was Final Exams was pretty much the only reason a did not actually squeal in glee :)
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 9/7/2011
This is a good riddle in the Anglo-Saxon form of poetry. I wonder if the creature you speak of is a dragon, but I forget the dragon's name since I haven't read the epic poem Beowulf since high school.

Good work. I look forward to reading more of your works.

-Aria Breuer