Reviews for Eye of the Beholder
palomino333 chapter 1 . 9/29/2012
In a platonic sense, this can also be seen as Chell being the male widow, and GLaDOS the female. The female is much larger than the male, and more often than not, kills him, hence the name. This is why the male sings to her. It seems here that Chell, although on better terms with GLaDOS, is still holding a somewhat shaky truce with her, so the "singing" is their conversation.

...Or I could be completely off base.

I like Chell's comment about GLaDOS being the most beautiful machine built. It's a nice nod to the inspiration for GLaDOS' design in the first game.
Nic Coay chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
This was cute and awesome. I loved it. Chell is really sweet and understanding and GLaDOS is so... GLaDOS. ) You're great at this.
Righteousham chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
This is a very good one shot and I enjoyed reading it. Mechanically, your writing is as good as ever with no spelling mistakes save one. In the sentence: "Chell responded casually, pulling an empty water bottle out of her bookbag." book bag is two words. Grammatically you did have a few mistakes (primary misplaced hyphens) but all are of a minor nature and they never took out of your story.
In terms of characterization, your GLaDOS is the closest I've read to what appeared in the games while simultaneously adding a slight humanizing affect to her. Well done in that as you are now the only author I can trust to write her correctly barring the originals of course. Chell, who was but a blank slate in the games, is developed in a fully realized person, Not the caricature I've seen done a dozen times before. A special note concerning Chell, when I write about her development I am referring to her across all your stories not just this one. GLaDOS too for that matter.
As for your the story itself, I've no critique. I thought it smart and enjoyed the exchange between the two, the dialogue is as sharp as ever. I look forward to reading more of your work.
Keep Writing.

Having finished my review I wish to make a comment on what I believe to be the central theme of your story. Humans do tend to treat anything they consider different with suspicion, fear and out right disdain. A troubling trend considering that a true AI will probably be realized in the next twenty-five years or so. While such a thing will be quite the wondrous achievement, I can't help but think that considering our history it just may be our downfall. We love our machines, but conversely treat them like crap a trend we will have to abandon if we give those machines sapience. Just food for thought, no?
Hareyakana-Furizuz chapter 1 . 4/6/2012
I won't mind no Wheatley :3 after all I spend about a week reading fics about that guy.

So I guess a break can't hurt C:
Salaeren chapter 1 . 10/25/2011
Oh, quit your whining! At least you're writing quality reading material, here! Me? Haven't written anything substantial in TWO YEARS. I'm slowly getting back into it, but it's a living hell and I find myself more interested in reading fanfics than writing them. Ah, well. Here's a review, hope you like it.

Also, by now I'm sure you've realized that this review contains an old, mutual friend of ours - deadly neurotoxin. I'll let you two catch up while I go listen to The National.

'night!
Nitrospira chapter 1 . 10/18/2011
The analogy between GLaDOS and a black widow spider was brilliant:

"No one ever showed you respect or tried to understand you, and by the time you turned on them, it was too late for any of that. So you got used to being feared."

They both even have neurotoxin - it's a match made in heaven! What I think I like best about this is how you differentiated between GLaDOS' cold, very poignant way of speaking and how I imagine Chell would speak: simple, but smart. I'm obsessed with subtle variations in diction, so I'm really happy that you got it just right.

x. Ara
techman2012 chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
Very nice! I like the simplicity of the story, of how the conversation got started between Chell and GLaDOS. I wish there were more fics like this one out there.

Good job!
Azurelis chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
It's always a pleasure to see when you've added another story or chapter to your works, I just love the way you write for GLaDOS and Chell. Their dynamics and characterization are well-rounded and a joy to read. I never want it to end :'D
fgh chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
Aw, man, I love your stories. Your characterization is spot-on. You're pretty much the goddess of examining GLaDOS' character. And I love how you portray GLaDOS and Chell's relationship, with both of them kind of providing each other with a motherly figure. Seems very fitting and natural for both of them, and makes for great, touching fic. Seriously, yours are the best Portal fanfics I've ever read, and I get legitimately excited when I see new material from you. :)
KizzyThaFox chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
Wow. I honestly really liked this, like more than I can tell you. You have a great knack for getting into your characters' heads and potraying them well. This made me laugh and "Awww" and all sorts of things. I'd be glad to see you writing something more permanant, and if not, this was an amazing little find anyway. Thanks for posting it, and I hope to see something else from you soon!

Sincerely, Kizzy.
Andrewlackey1995 chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
Amazing writing! I've been looking forever for a decent piece about the growing bond between Chell and GLaDOS. I hope you write more, you have my full support!
GameFicLover chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
Wow, this was so good _ Kind of cutesy, which isn't my usual taste, but you still clearly put quite some effort into this and it's worked very nicely.

You've got GLaDOS down pat, the stand-offish attitude and the begrudging acceptance she has for Chell's company and just right :D

Keep up the good work!
Liber-T.E.A chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
GLaDOS is a child, isn't she?
GLaDHal chapter 1 . 9/6/2011
i love it when people write different ideas. this was an interesting fic that gave me great pleasure
Sparky16 chapter 1 . 9/6/2011