Reviews for The Chameleon
malfoy lea chapter 1 . 6/9
I don't exactly know why my brain decided to suddenly get hooked on Tangled - Fanfictions, but here I am. Your work is amazing! I loved innnocent Rapunzel in "What you don't know" and the more fierce, but broken one in "Sunshine". That one was intense, and I am fascinated by your talent to show Rapunzel's distress, and how you made me feel it by sewing several layers of her memories together to a big ugly mess of thoughts and fears. "Super" was weird; I'm not even sure I got all the references, but it was great as well. Also, your visualisation is pretty well. Even if I imagined someone crawling on a hot pipe beneath the ceiling in a tunnel, I wouldn't know how to describe it. I will read this now, because Steampunk Rapunzel also sounds great. live long and prosper.
rational chapter 18 . 2/29
NOOOOOOOO! I got all engaged in this story, and you didn't finish it, and now it's been years, so you never will! At least it didn't end abruptly with one or both of them dying, as I was sort of afraid it would when I realized there was not enough space to have a happy ending.

But thank god, at least you got to the part where the queen realized there was a chance that Rapunzel was her missing daughter, instead of knocking down the tower and killing her. Flynn's sacrifice wasn't for nothing. I loved that moment when the queen looked at him and he thought for a second he was looking at Rapunzel and then he thought he was losing his mind. And he is in fact so worried about her that it wouldn't even be that weird for him to be seeing her everywhere. I also loved the moment where he finally put together that she was the lost princess.

I'm enjoying the way he's fighting the obvious interpretation that what he's doing right now is driven by his feelings for Rapunzel. A third party observer, the guard, thinks his story sounds like he's trying to spin some ridiculous story about the magical transformative powers of love, but he's not consciously trying to do that at all. He doesn't think love has anything to do with it. He just has to save at her, at any cost.

I'm curious what the queen thinks about his behavior. It's clear from the moment he says the deal he wants to make has nothing to do with leniency for him that she knows something odd is going on. And then he shared his information about Gothel once they'd already decided to go save her.

I so wish I could know how things play out. I'm curious about what else Gothel is going to pull, and exactly what's going to happen to cause Rapunzel's hair to get cut. And will she have to save Flynn? How's she going to react to all this when she wakes up? When is the chameleon going to play his recording of Flynn saying goodbye to her? What does the queen think about what's going on? Will we ever meet Max? Man, this sucks.
rational chapter 17 . 2/28
Wait, how the hell does she know Flynn was in her tower? What has she pieced together about what's going on?

Flynn's sarcasm towards her in his head (and out loud) is pretty funny, in a dark way.

Interesting, him noticing that she doesn't look anything like Rapunzel. I assume he's too anxious, scared, and guilt-ridden to make anything of these clues he's gathered yet.

Ooh, big mistake suggesting he knows about Rapunzel's magic.

Wait, why did he stay and fight?

But it did miraculously provide an opportunity for him to finally turn himself in. To someone who still didn't seem to believe that he was really turning himself in. Still, though, it worked, in the sense that this thing that's barely a plan has worked at all so far.
rational chapter 16 . 2/25
I'm curious about this conspiracy. They hired the Stabbingtons for muscle, clearly, because they don't seem to have any particular love for anything but violence. And Flynn says he was threatened into stealing the battery, but whose idea was that?

Flynn's anxiety is palpable. He's ready to die for Rapunzel, but he's not ready to leave her to die because he couldn't get himself taken prisoner by the right people and instead might get killed prematurely. I enjoyed the story he told the brothers, and how he sold it by telling what was nearly the truth-that he had taken down the army single-handed.

I honestly had no idea how Flynn was going to get out of it, but in retrospect his solution was so obvious! The soldiers are basically an unorganized mob right now, plus it's actually kind of true that the Stabbingtons are enemy spies. They certainly are there to steal the battery.

But of course as soon as he makes his escape, he runs into the other person who's just been waiting to cause trouble. Can't wait to see how he gets out of this!
rational chapter 15 . 2/22
It kind of broke my heart when Flynn realized he didn't really have a plan besides "get help at any cost." Also, the moment when it made Flynn sick how easy it was to fall into his usual smirk.

The situation on the ground is really awful. I wonder how Rapunzel would feel about the loss of life if she were thinking about that instead of just problem-solving. But, I guess she does think that basically everyone is a bad person.

I loved how the theme of this chapter was that Flynn can't get arrested no matter what he does. He IS wearing that jacket he stole, but in the dark and chaos it probably doesn't matter anyway. Good job building his frustration and desperation bit by bit, from his initial feeling that everyone was looking at him, to realizing how anonymous he was when he kept being pressed into service here and there, to carrying that injured guy when he nearly snapped (but I notice that he actually never dropped him and kept carrying him until he could pass him off to someone else), to the point where he shouting at the sky in frustration. And then the Stabbingtons found him, and he lost whatever hope he had left that he could save Rapunzel.
rational chapter 14 . 2/20
Hmm, well, it can't be good that the Stabbingtons are hanging around nearby, waiting to kill Flynn. Not to mention Gothel, who doesn't seem to understand what is going in but is nonetheless source of crazy violence on a hair trigger.

Poor Pascal, flipping out because Rapunzel is sick and then thinking that Flynn was abandoning her.

My heart was breaking for Flynn, though, with the way he can't watch her die but still can't really admit why it bothers him so much. He says things about her that are annoyed, he talks like he just owes her, he thinks he's angry with her, yet he'll sacrifice everything for the chance she'll be okay. For some reason, it kind of brought tears to my eyes when he told her his real name.
rational chapter 13 . 2/15
Pascal taunting Flynn with the recording of his own sigh and then taking his picture was beautiful.

Why is she wistful about taking a nap? Is she extra tired for some reason?

My god, Rapunzel is full of good ideas for weapons. And, wow, the destruction they rained down on the army in such a short time was amazing.

And there she is being tired again. And passing out. This is worrisome.
rational chapter 12 . 2/12
Flynn's shock is the best. And then when she went to go open the roof and fought Flynn off, the looks she sent him were just hilarious.

Her excitement about the number of people and the amount of explosives is charming, if insane. And now she's got another crazy idea. Can't wait to see where this one goes!
rational chapter 11 . 2/11
God, I felt for Rapunzel while Flynn was being so angry and silent. That's the worst. I'd much rather fight. It was amusing, though, in a depressing kind of way, to hear Flynn's responses to Rapunzel in his head. I appreciated how it both hurt him to hear how scared she was and how him being mad at her was making it worse, but also how he was still pissed enough to ignore that feeling.

It tugs at my heart that she snuggled up to him while he was sleeping. Poor kid.

That was a tense moment, with the possibility of a chameleon in the water barrel.

I guess they're lucky that Gothel designed the place to be ready for a siege. Those windows with their crazy locks and the insane amounts of food storage.

I love how she develops this plan and then tells him nothing. It's brilliant, really, destroying all those chameleons with boiling oil. Almost makes you feel bad for the little guys, though.
rational chapter 10 . 2/8
"She was looking pale." Chills.

It broke my heart a little when Flynn decided to treat her cut like any injury and wrap it up like she wrapped his. It was so sweet, and her reacting like she'd never had anyone take care of her didn't help. And then that kiss, where he just wanted to give her what comfort he could, not interested in taking anything for himself.

Rapunzel's distress when she discovered her goggles were broken was palpable. But then she flipped when Flynn mentioned it cut her hair and I knew her secret was coming out. She certainly didn't disappoint!

It made me sad for Flynn when she revealed that he really didn't need to bandage her hand, since she could heal it. But I understand why she wanted to let him. She doesn't get much of that kind of tender worry and attention. Ooh, but I knew the shit would hit the fan when she started talking about what she could do. "Wait. Other people?"

The fight that followed that was so good, in that painful way. Especially ending as it did, with him saying he would leave (because who cares about his life anyway?) and her begging him not to, and him realizing he couldn't leave her, no matter how angry he was.

It's interesting, they were both keeping secrets about themselves that they were afraid would make the other person stop liking them.
rational chapter 9 . 2/7
Rapunzel's strategy to make Flynn want to live is adorable.

Their moment when she was cranking the bed up into the ceiling and he was suddenly struck with gratitude and the need to reassure her was moving and sweet. The kiss and his quiet, honest "thank you," such a beautiful signs of how she's changed him. Makes me feel all warm inside.

And then everything abruptly changed when it turned out the damn army was outside the window. Fighting off those chameleons was pretty exciting. They make a good team. I was worried when Rapunzel screamed. What's going to happen now? This is quite the worst case scenario.
rational chapter 8 . 2/4
Okay, wow, the battery is a lot weirder than I initially thought.

I love Flynn's thoughts about the various things Rapunzel might do if she had an airship. I also love his confused explanation about why a country might bomb its neighbors.

It was touching when Flynn considered lying and telling her he is the airship charger, like she suggested, and then realized he couldn't lie to her. His internal conflict about wanting to tell her and have her understand and help him figure out what to do but being afraid and wanting her to distrust him so he could lie to her rung so true. It broke my heart when he admitted that he didn't really care if he lived or died. And then she asked what his mother would think if he died, and his reaction broke my heart a little more.

But her resolution that he wouldn't die, because she just wouldn't let him leave, was so great. And then she tossed that part in at the end about how he wouldn't be able to tell anyone where she is, which must have just baffled him.
rational chapter 7 . 2/2
I love that image of the royal chameleon climbing up on the table in the middle of everything and puffing out its chest.

God, it was adorable when Flynn thought to himself that watches her make a watch was boring, except that she was doing it so it was fascinating. And then thought that was a strange thing for him to think.

Ooh, the battery didn't burn her. So that's what was going on with the queen earlier. But it made her feel disoriented? Or was that just because she was so confused about what it was?

Flynn's fear and relief and outrage at her touching the battery were so telling. He's afraid of her finding out he stole the battery, but his instinctive fear is just fear that she got hurt. I just loved the moment when he realized he was still holding her hands, and that he was clutching them to his chest, and instead of dropping them, he kissed her knuckles and hugged her.
rational chapter 6 . 2/1
The note passing was adorable. Especially because of Pascal.

I loved the way he talked himself through comforting her when she was crying. It's just about the debt he owes her...well, lust is okay, that can be in there, too...and pity, pity was acceptable... It's like a concentrated dose of what he's doing all the time. He keeps reminding himself that he doesn't care about her, while doing things that clearly demonstrate that he does care.

It breaks my heart how Rapunzel is having her illusions about her mother punctured and being gradually forced to see just what kind of person her mother is. The goggles, though, the goggles were ingenious.
rational chapter 5 . 1/31
So, is he really healing faster than he should? She obviously didn't heal him, so I'm not sure what would make him heal faster.

Ah, the banter.

It's amusing, in a sad kind of way, how Flynn sort of laughs at her fear of her mother and imagines he must be mishearing when she asks Rapunzel to let down her hair.

I wonder if Gothel actually means anything particular by it when she calls the queen a thief, or if she's just being hateful as usual.

Hmm, I'm curious about where else this fantasy of Flynn's was going to go. But I do love that Pascal somehow sensed what he was thinking and stopped him immediately.

I can totally imagine Pascal's excitement when Flynn used one if his spines to slice paper.

It broke my heart a little when Flynn asked Rapunzel if she thought he was a cruel and wicked person, and thought to himself that it was a stupid question because of course that's exactly what he is. And then his reaction to her saying that he's kind.

Speaking of breaking my heart, that whole little argument about Gothel's treatment of Rapunzel, with Rapunzel's defensiveness... And, geez, her watches are the most sought-after (loved her disbelief of that)? I wonder if she'll keep making them for fun after she finds out she's a princess. And then Gothel's nonsense about her faults and how she's not pretty. But at least that led into some good stuff. Touching, corset removal, kissing, all rather shockingly hot for how quick and chaste it all was. No wonder she was embarrassingly flushed when Gothel came in.