Reviews for Coping Mechanisms
hypercell chapter 8 . 4/25/2014
I now see Beverly in a totally different light. It isn't that she doesn't feel, she just is good at hiding it.
I LOVE this story.
I would love to see more. Perhaps a sequel.
Guest chapter 5 . 2/8/2014
It is JohnS Hopkins. Also, this fic is wonderful. I am zooming through it and neglecting other responsibilities - it is great!
Guest chapter 2 . 2/8/2014
This is impressive. I especially loved the clear-eyed analysis of post-feminism. Oh, I was there as Emily, and back again as Beverly.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/8/2014
It's Aspergers, not AsperBERgers.
UnluckyAmulet chapter 8 . 2/3/2014
I absolutely adore this! Beverly is a very underlooked character in the BBT fandom, I feel, and this exploration of her childhood, marriage and everything inbetween was fascinating. You nailed her voice perfectly and I enjoyed the characterisations that you gave to Cassandra and Micheal, I don't even think the writers of the show could pull something like this off. I like that, although the whole story has a matter-of-fact tone, it ends on a hopeful note and reading the different interactions Beverly has with her family, Sheldon and Penny are just so interesting to read. This is such a fresh take on a character who comes off rather unsympathetic onscreen, but you've taken the time to dig deeper and explore why and give Beverly her own side. Amazing work!

Amulet
Livre Lady chapter 8 . 10/6/2013
Type your review for this chapter here...
rabastan04 chapter 8 . 10/16/2012
this is pretty awesome. For me, Mrs. Hofstadter was just a caricature character when I saw her on the show but you managed to breathe life into her and make her a sympathetic one. She's still reserved and she still feels justified in using her children as research subjects, but at the same time you also made her a real mom with their guilts and anxieties. Thank you very much for sharing this. I'm really glad I stumbled onto this rec from the tvtropes wiki. :D
Guest chapter 8 . 9/16/2012
To be honest, I sort of feel like anything I say here will feel trite, but this is truly a wonderful piece of character exploration. I think Beverly is an interesting person and although her...less-than-nourishing parenting skills are played for laughs, it's fascinating to see your interpretation of how she got that way, what her childhood might have been like, how she feels now...honestly, I don't think I'll be able to watch an episode of her again without thinking about this. You manage to sound so like her, but keep the more psychological parts of the fic concise enough so that that can still be understood by the reader. It was interesting to see Leonard's indignant reaction towards Emily's remark, it was unexpected, considering he deals with Sheldon's insensitive comments for so long. I liked how different Cassandra and Micheal were from each other, I wonder if they'll ever be introduced in the show like Missy? It's funny how Beverly's backstory seems to somewhat mirror Sheldon's own, and the parts involving Beverly's hard upbringing felt very real annd following her on this journey was a real reward, so I'm happy to have come across this story. I can't wait to read more from you.

Amulet
FreeVirtualHugs chapter 8 . 3/27/2012
I'm not sure why, but in my traversing through the Big Bang fanfic of this site (of which there is not much of sadly) i kept scrolling over and ignoring this fic. I have no idea why. I'm so happy i ended up clicking this link. Far from fluff and badly written work, this was a great! I couldn't beleive I was finished all 8 chapters without feeling time had passed. I especially loved all of the analysis on Leonard. The science in this story also gave it an authentic tone and I got a nice ego boost recognizing most of the psychological terms and names (2 years in high school of basic psychology - boo yah)

all in all - an awesome fic exploring a very interesting character to whom i had been less than sympathetic towards prior to this. thanks so much!
TickleTheToast chapter 8 . 2/8/2012
Wow. Amazing. Inexplicable. Its not often that a writer can get themselves grounded so well and comfortably in a canon character's psyche to create a believable alternate, let alone turn a new perspective on them altogether. Not only have you done both with Beverly Hofstadter, but you have allowed her to grow and change and feel in a way I didn't deem probable. If you, as a writer of fanfiction, can ultimately change the way I, as an apt reader, perceive a character I had before thought to be cold and rather arrogant, then you certainly deserve praise. That is something I can give you. You also deserve no shortcoming in awards, but unfortunately that is out of my hands. So thank you, and congratulations. :D This is a job very well done, and should I even permit myself to begin to touch on the specific things I found wonderful in this story, well, we would be here for a very long time.

Never stop writing.

~Ashe*
The March Hatter chapter 8 . 1/28/2012
This is. . . amazing, for lack of a better word. I really feel connected to the character of Beverly in this. The whole thing feels so bitter sweet, but hopeful at the same time. I don't know if that's what you were going for, but it turned out wonderfully.
htbthomas chapter 8 . 10/24/2011
Nice job! I really enjoyed your take on Beverly's life. :)
gyuumajo chapter 8 . 10/14/2011
...I feel compelled to throw my two cents in.

Man, you got me hooked from chapter 1. Had to go through all 8 chapters at one go!

This is one of the best characterization of Beverly-one that doesn't cast such a harsh light on her. So much going on in her head!

The Hofstadter family dynamics was an interesting take as well.

I loved the non-linear story-telling and how you worked in scenes from the episodes.

ermintrude421 chapter 8 . 9/7/2011
This is magnificient! You really got into Beverly's skin. I love you stuff, and this is sheer genius. The jumping around in time is a bit disconcerting, and I think you made a date/age mistake in part 2-I got the impression she was born in 1949. But other than that small stuff, I loved it. Please keep writing, I love your stuff.
WeBuiltThePyramids chapter 8 . 9/7/2011
Now I feel bad for Mr. Silverman, bad for Bev, bad for Leonard, and bad for Penny. But you just said things in exactly the right way, and your characterization was so dangerously spot on, and wow, you need to write more for this fandom because I love reading fic as much as I love writing it and I've basically quit fanfic reading unless I trust that the author can do a decent job, and let me tell you, I WANT YOU TO WRITE A LOT MORE SO I CAN READ IT! It was funny, it got the emotions across, and you took all the details we know about Bev and wove this entire story about her, which is what I tried to do with Penny in mine but we know so much less about Beverly! Oh, and in the previous chapter her analyzation of why Penny said "sleeping with" instead of dating is now a personal canon. It is NOT because Penny didn't care about the relationship - it is what you said.

Amazing fic, I'm going to recommend it to anyone who will listen!