Reviews for I love not man the less but nature more
zauberine chapter 2 . 7/7/2013
wow... what a good story!
booknerd11 chapter 1 . 5/11/2013
Long-time lurker, I have been trying to find the words to describe just how much I love this piece. I absolutely love, love, love this, so much. It is so beautiful and frank and I absolutely love the little peek at how each of the Four meet their eventual Guard. I also need to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for writing this piece and all of your other stories because over the past few years, your writing has moved me and made me think about basically everything in ways that I never had before but really needed to. Ever since you've written this piece, I've gone back to it any time that I feel insecure about myself or my body or any time I need to be reminded of how wonderful the world can be, and I cannot thank you enough for writing this. So thank you. Seriously.
mamapyjama chapter 2 . 12/30/2012
Lovely - I thoght the idea of each species being recognised as part of the kingmaking was very clever. And a jolly good read, thank you.
Heliopause chapter 2 . 10/25/2012
Oh, I like Peter's experience very much. Your description of the way time slowed for him rings very true, and the intensity of getting inside the smoke, knowing it, and feeling it. The white stag, and the visions it brought him, and the wonderful way the future children were playing with the smoke, able to toss around as reality what to him is ungraspable and powerful. and "where did we go?" - Rth, this is terrific stuff. I'll stop babbling and go back to reading.
(Oh "I must find Susan" - I feel chills, goosebumps.)
:) I love how Susan smiles (at both Lucy and herself) at Lucy being "so very Narnian, and so soon"
(The whole homosexuality in English upper-class schools business is very interesting - the plaiting in of class privilege to sexuality-based oppression. Whole big issues there. I love how your stories give so much to think about.)
The dagger again - I like that, tying in that it was given for a reason. And once again, Susan's courage and pride - also her self-knowledge when she said "I am unsure and ashamed" . I love the way she rises to the challenge, and gives life and receives life from the land. And beautiful! "it was impossible to imagine a Queen more beautiful, or happier or more Narnian."
Also the way you undercut that, with her finding it hard to understand Peter's reluctance to share this with her, so she's not too (italics) overwhelming and impressive. :)

I love the crowd as flood - "Peter waded into the throng", and also how full-heartedly he plunges in. (Oh! I felt the same confusion as Peter, when they said "war!") And the closing paragraph - the whole of it, though in pity for how long this "review" is getting I'll only quote "The rhythms of Narnia were not felt only in her seasons and tides, but also in the embrace of another", is beautiful. Ah, and as with Susan, you undercut that a little, by having Merle dump Edmund's head on the stone! :D

And the very satisfying conclusion, with Edmund and Lucy. Phew! I'm exhausted! (mild and complimentary joke) . Thank you! (I'll have to go and hunt this up in LiveJournal now, for all the this-world rituals!)
Heliopause chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
I like very much the depiction of Susan's edginess, and Edmund's enthusiastic dashing off to the library, just before he crashes! (I'm a bit puzzled by 'blooms' - I don't know of a link to animal sexuality? I guess a technical term in animal science, maybe? Anyway, thanks for the way every word is weighed in your writing, and has a real value!)
And I admire Susan's preciseness with herself - catching her internal use of the word "debauchery" and resolutely erasing it. and also the recognition that there was no private business for them, as Monarchs, and then the switch of tone to her lightly teasing him about the swimming.
I like the challenge opening with (the hardest thing of all?) listening. And the little creatures. Oh! Lucy's dagger! (I was recently reading elsewhere about how this is overlooked in the books.)
Love Susan swimming, and her courage and pride. (This is getting to be one of those rambling reviews - sorry! In brief, I thought this challenge and the writing about it was brilliant.) Also, Lucy seems to be growing up rapidly in her role of supporting and also reflecting on supporting.
Oh, I like how alive Susan feels, on her way to the fire-dragon!

I enjoyed this very much - I really liked meeting Dalia and Lambert for the first time, and the Fire Salamander's many allusions, not all of which are clear to me yet (which is great!) Especially (italics) liked his many names and titles for Susan and "You know a thing's name, you know it."

Also - a grin for Peter building the nest without hands, using dung.
Heartwould chapter 2 . 7/28/2012
Just re-reading this, Rth, and it is so very beautiful! I am particularly inspired by Susan, Pomona and Epona, every time I read it.
hungrytiger11 chapter 2 . 5/8/2012
I read your Stone Gryphon series first, so it is quite the change to see the four so...young. They are adults, even if not physically in the other series. This one as them growing up is well done. I enjoyed all the little character bits, and wonder if Lucy and Edmund did do the bonding, or not. Great work.
ilysia chapter 2 . 3/7/2012
Mmm, yes. Lovely. And I love that there's this idea that, by the time they're old enough, Edmund and Lucy may not even need to do the Rituals, because they will have become so Narnian by that time. But it would be easier for them, not only because they are younger but also just because of who they are, I think, what with Lucy being, well, Lucy, and Edmund being so changed already. But for Susan and Peter... yes.

I also adore how you've used the imagery of the Last Battle and hints of that throughout. And the Guard! We see them for the first time here, not that they're the Guard just yet. Lovely.
ilysia chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
I know I said Harold and Morgan was next but... somehow I missed reviewing this? I know I read it, way back when, when it was new. But it's just as wonderful here. The Pevensies getting used to Narnia, in a way. Getting more Narnian. And it's lovely, as it always. Not your children's Narnia, indeed, but rather a much better Narnia, full of arcane rituals and salamanders and older gods and... it's lovely, ruth. I adore it.
Starbrow chapter 2 . 12/22/2011
OK I can't help it. Must fave this one too. Everything about your story is inexplicably RIGHT. From the joy and the revelry of the Narnians' union to each ruler's reaction - Lucy's childlike happiness and curiosity, Edmund's analytical half-enviousness, Susan who seems so noble and elegant here, so like she should, and Peter - ah Peter *sighs*. You were so restrained in the Revel, it would be very interesting to have an M rated version of that scene. ;-)

You have an uncanny ability to recall Lewis's style in your writing, which is VERY rare and even more so for it to feel natural and unaffected. Yours is just perfect, every turn of phrase so delicious and restrained, it makes me feel like Edmund, very jealous ;D.
FelipeMarcusThomas chapter 2 . 10/20/2011
Wow. That's all I can say. This two-shot may not be every reader's cup of tea, but if so, that's because it's too easy to forget that Narnia is most certainly NOT Spare Oom. What is appropriate in the one could very well be the opposite in the other. All in all, a very well thought out depiction of how jarring an experience the Great Bonding had to be, and how Their Majesties conquered their own preconceived notions of what was fitting for Narnia.
FelipeMarcusThomas chapter 1 . 10/20/2011
A series of marriage ceremonies, of a sort. Hmmm. An interesting way of describing the Great Bonding. And Edmund's observation, that Human rules don't apply to Narnians, is something that too many fan fiction authors don't seem to take into account. The discussion between Peter and Susan, when they mutually realize that Edmund and Lucy should participate as much as they can, was very revealing. It showed their multi-faceted characters, not just as Peter & Susan, but also as High King Peter the Magnificent and Queen Susan the Gentle. It makes me wonder how I would have responded to the various challenges and rituals (I know I'd have stayed away from the swimming one, since I'm like Peter - I mix with water as oil does).
Avia Tantella Scott chapter 2 . 10/4/2011
I finally got the chance to read this and I just have to say that I loved it so, so much! I adore the idea of a bonding ceremony; it's such a perfect way to reconcile the issue of Narnia being a country not for men, but for men to rule. Of course it was all so well-researched, and your handling of the various rites was (as usual) astonishingly well done. Each one was different and perfectly relevant to the population and purpose it was meant to serve.

Some of my favorite parts were those that alluded to the future both in Narnia and Spare Oom. I loved, loved, LOVED Xucoatl; every part of that scene was squee-inducing, and the whole Smoke Ritual was amazing. And the cameos from Lambert, Dalia, and the others... SO WONDERFUL! I can't stop gushing, but that's nothing new when I read anything by you. Well done all around, and thank you for a excellent way to pass an hour or so of travel time :)
Miniver chapter 2 . 9/24/2011
I finally was able to sit down and savor this! Though I loved the two goddesses-and it's so Lewis of you to combine a Roman goddess and a Celtic one-my favorite part was near the beginning, where Peter saw the future. I've already reread that section a few times. I loved both the idea of it and the way you depicted it, from the children running by, balling up the smoke and making a game of throwing it, to the mysterious glimpses of people that Peter would have no way of knowing but that we instantly recognize. In a way, it's the entire Chronicles all in one moment. You allowed us readers to feel very wise, because for that brief space, we knew more about Narnia than the High King. Later on, I loved Lucy and Edmund at the revel, breaking the "law" about bedtime one more time before changing it. Though I know that Lewis might not have written the particulars as you did (which is why we have fanfic!), the deep inside of what you wrote conveys a wonderful aspect of Narnia that Lewis held dear: that Narnia changed the children as deeply and entirely as they changed it. You also captured the fecundity of Narnia in all its grand diversity. A splendid story.
Heartwould chapter 2 . 9/17/2011
Rth,

My heart is full. This is the best, simply the best, Sacred Marriage I have ever had the privilege to read.