Reviews for The Letter
ridiculous129 chapter 1 . 9/21/2014
Madam RedRose25 chapter 1 . 9/18/2013
So simple yet so sweet. I loved it and could picture it so clearly in my mind. Great job!
ctc chapter 1 . 9/10/2013
char1234 chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
That was a truly heartfelt, emotional confession from Hermione... which makes it all the more annoying why they aren't together in fulfilling obligations!
uchiha.s chapter 1 . 3/31/2013

So, as you know, I am basically your biggest fan. When I saw Fulfilling Obligations had been updated, I squealed — as per usual — and then figuratively sprinted off to read. I already read the chapter, and I'll review that in a minute, but I wanted to review this first, as I had to read it after that INCREDIBLE chapter.

Where to start? Well, since this is technically in the same universe as FO, I have to admit, I'm impressed at how you write Hermione at different ages. She is always Hermione, but she is Hermione at that age. It's just amazing how you manage to make her grow and change and yet still be her, like a real person. Many authors (even highly skilled ones) are not so good at this. So, going from the most recent chapter of FO, to this story, was a special treat. I got to be reminded of young Hermione, as the Hermione in FO likely was as well, upon finding the letter again.

The language is especially important here, because it tempers Hermione's girlish actions, in a way. They might not be as believable — because it's so easy to forget Hermione is still a young girl, given her intellect — but your wording makes it credible. Even though it's in third person, it sounds like Hermione's point of view, and you can feel her struggling between her analytical, rational side, and then the side of her that is a hopeful, shy, romantic, sixteen year old girl in love with her best friend.

So, I guess this oneshot is a marval of contrasts heightening the tension in which the story of Fulfilling Obligations unfolds: In this world of political turmoil, of life-and-death situations, just after having witnessed incredible magic in the Department of Mysteries, we are reminded that Hermione and Harry are also just teenagers, and in spite of everything they have experienced and will experience, they also have these silly, private, and sad moments.

Also, the whole letter is so in character for Hermione, and so heartbreaking. I actually got teary reading her reading it to him. I also loved that you had it as speech, and didn't just italicize and block the whole thing. It keeps the reader in the moment, going through what Hermione is going through, and really -feeling- what she is feeling. The elevated heart rate, the butterflies, the shyness, the hope, the devastation, the fear... it is all there in the words.

Anyway, now I need to go review Fulfilling Obligations and flail over your amazingness.
HarmonyGurl-23 chapter 1 . 3/31/2013
Wow this was truly amazing. It took my breath away. I was hoping along with her that he'd wake up and blab his feelings. You should really consider writing your own novel to publish. Your writing is amazing. I love when I become the character because the author use emotions. Thank you.
smos chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Sequel please! What a wonderfully bitter-sweet story! *dreamy sigh*
shrka07 chapter 1 . 9/29/2012
this is beautiful writing... I can let you know how I felt after reading this... soo beautiful.. a very emotional moment...
Harmony4life chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
I saw this on portkey once, at the time when I have yet to get into deep with Harry Potter fandom. Since my discovery with portkey, I know I have found the perfect haven for my OTP of all times.
I have always loved Harry&Hermione, always believed in them, no matter how the outcome. To be honest, I don't care that much about canon, and with time and age, upon reconsidering the canon books, Rowling 's romance is pretty crappy and not to be taken seriously. However, I was so amazed how my love for Harmony could be released to the full reading fanfiction.
I was immensely touched the first time I read this divine piece of yours. My heartbeats literally throbbed anticipation and hope for Hermione along every single words. You are so true, " what can be achieved through the written word" is absolutely amazing, and what wonders beautiful words can do for our soul is even more incredible!

My emotion is always toyed with the idea that the brightest witch has harbored feelings for Harry, not the bloody hero, not the savior of the wizarding world, but just Harry, the broken boy of extreme suffering and deprivation of love.
And oh, how " The Letter" brought it out wonderfully is indescribable!

And now, As I ve got the chance to read it over and over again, Goodness and Beauty of the entire universe is seeping gradually, steadily into my heart until all my love for Harry&Hermione feels like bursting,

I must say, I feel very strongly for your story, and "The Letter" got me all mushy and emotional :x:x:x
Final, a heartfelt thank-you for your story, your love and faith in Harmony.
Keep up your great work!
Majerus chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
Thank you so much for this view of Hermione. I hope you do not mind, but I have to tell you that you have inspired me. I am currently writing a story which will take years to bring Harmony, but your Hermione has been added to the myriad views and words and ideas which will be a part of my story as it is so wonderfully done. Please do not worry, I'm not stealing from you whole cloth, rather I will not be able to help incorporating these threads into my own weave. Perhaps not the way I should 'ask', but consider the imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Again, a well done and presented work, thank you.
Tangled Desires chapter 1 . 6/18/2012
The Smallville of it all. 3 It's so perfect, and I love it. Thinking about it, that letter Chloe wrote for Clark was utterly perfect for a scene like this. And you included my favorite line about the masquerade.

You're a marvelous Harmony writer, I'll tell you that right now. Wonderful job.
Smileyface chapter 1 . 5/12/2012
"I'm the girl of your dreams masquerading as your best friend."

Isn't that a line from Smallville? :)
Red Phoenix Dragon chapter 1 . 10/27/2011
A sweet insight into the thinking of the female mind but Hermione forgot to seal the message with a kiss that could change everything.

Thanks for sharing your story. Please continue with the next chapter as Luna was watching and listening to her best friend pour out her heart to her other best friend and she knew she had to do something to stop the nargles and Weasleys from interfering.
iu-atticus chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
Very nice. :-)

Sometimes it's nice to see a piece, or even a one-shot, that's just showing one or the other and their unrequited love during a specific instance before they know what the other truly thinks and feels. I think that's something we've all felt at one time or another in our lives, and if one hasn't, it's more than likely to happen at some point.

I think it's very Hermione-like to have her write down her thoughts in a letter, as sometimes it's that much easier to get your thoughts down on paper rather than have them jumbled up in your head.

Again, nice job! Cheers.
Gryffindor1045 chapter 1 . 9/11/2011

So sad from Hermione' s perspective because we know she has to wait ten years in your story and forever in canon. But for your story, it's really satisfying to know that her feelings are not reciprocated. She actually has that moment where she confesses her love to him at the same he reveals his feelings for her...

I love the way you slowly cemented her resolve to go through with the reading despite the feelings of ridicule, the way you let her love for Harry pour out towards the end as all of her desire, hurt and frustration ascended to a climactic point. And then you did a wonderful job of dropping from that climax with Harry's lack of arousal and Hermione's subsequent deflation. Very poignant ending with that warmth in her chest imbibed by hope.

Wonderfully written! as usual. Your talent to capture emotions and define Hermione's character continues to astound me.

By the way, interesting that you chose the Ancient Runes textbook to hide the note... does this have something to do with Hermione's mistranslation on the OWL?