Reviews for More Than Pride
firtree chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
pretty well written
nixer chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
Great stuff! Wish it had been longer.

Nice to have a story with the best of poor Josh in it. I don't think she ever truly loved him, but she did like him, and he was a good guy. And I suspect he loved her, in so far as he could with her revealing so little.
Flashofblue chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Oh, Josh. Suddenly he's there again. Poor guy. I still think this is one of my favourite stories that include Josh, especially since it's in such a different way than most. It really shows that he does care about her - a lot, if he's even willing to call Castle of all people to help her through a hard time.

And, of course, as always, this was amazingly written. And no, I'm not just saying that. I never *just* say anything about your writing unless I mean it.

(Also, I miss 'A Story Unfolds', sigh. Such a great story. Misty agrees with me, because, right as I typed that, she looked at me. At least, I think that's because she agrees. Oh, well. I loved that story, anyway.)
nightlight's fire chapter 1 . 12/3/2011
I like the idea more than I thought I would, and I thought I'd like the idea quite a bit. It was... interesting to read.
leanaplumz chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
This was heartbreakingly beautiful. I've never read anything like this before... I love it.

I liked Josh, he was just the wrong guy at the wrong time. I love that you didn't write him as the villian but as the lover at his wits end.

My heart goes out to Castle in this one though, because now that she's opened up to Josh he's almost stuck in the best friend zone. But as long as Kate's in his life, I guess it's all good.

Amazing job.
writinghasceased chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
“Tell the truth.” – There is something about that line that just... I don’t know why, but it kind of wrecks me a little. I can hear him say it, I can see Kate there hearing it, I can feel the way Josh would be feeling right at the moment. It’s such a defining moment, you know... Castle not willing to let her hid it from Josh anymore, Kate coming to terms with the whole – ‘It’s finally an all in or not at all,’ moment. It’s Castle finally stepping up to make Kate make that choice, to pick her side. The fact that Castle was the one to make her face that decision, then for her to fall on the side that is Josh, without her even knowing she would do so is just heartbreaking for us to witness... damn.

I’m so conflicted with this. I feel like I’m in limbo, because *Kate* is in limbo. Josh isn’t, Rick isn’t, but Kate still is. She has her best friend on one side, her boyfriend on the other and just confusion and pain everywhere else.

Now I know what you meant by it being so unbelievably difficult to write. But it was worth it – it was really, really worth it.
Beetlebug chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
You don't ever back down from what you want to say, you don't ever let others tell you how to write an ending or that you should fix something just because its not a popular choice.

Im glad you fought through the frustrating part of this and found a way to say what was truly on your mind because it all fit together in the end!
Yorick's Talking Skull chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
When I read this it felt like there was a weight fixed deep in the base of my throat and chest. I don’t know why I always start out reviews with how I feel when I read your work, but it is always the first thing on my mind when I do. With that out of the way, I have to say I know you said that this piece frustrated you, like you said, but it also frustrated me to read it. Now, before you start to think that is a bad thing—please don’t—for me, I know when I have read something brilliant when I can’t say anything about it other than how it makes me feel. I felt the weight of grief. I felt desperation. I felt human connections even through darkness. So no, I cannot point out a part. I cannot dissect. I merely know how I felt when I read it.
Ariel119 chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
Interesting. One of the minority NOT writing Josh as a total dink. Extremely well written. Liked the part about J's ego standing between Rick and Kate.
Macahol84 chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
I was so hoping that she was going to kick Josh out and Castle would be the one left comforting her. Oh well, it is what it is. Maybe that bombing would have been a good lesson hahahaha
Guest chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
"Every five or so inhales, his breathing would falter under the weight of unsaid words."

That was my favourite line. I could name a dozen others that are probably (most definitely) as beautiful, but I found this one above all the most telling. The centers of pain, loss and grief are clearly exposed,but only those that know they're there will notice the wound haven't really healed, they've gotten deeper.

The reassuring touch of a friend and the presence of an outsider can make for difficult situations, not to mention painful. You gave it to us with wipped cream and a cherry on top. Josh and Castle are on opposite sides, while fighting for the same thing. Telling someone close to, lightening the load, sharing the pain; it's all the same and ever necessary. She/you chose to show it, with any euphemisms or softening of the hurt, pure pain and grief.

I truly admire this work of art and your determination in working through it. I can only imagine the difficulty, doubt and hardship. You're a diamond in the rough. Thank Jade for me and tell her Mauk said hi!

-Mauk.
knittingeek chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
I really, really loved this. There are so few words actually spoken among them but this piece speaks volumes. Thanks for sharing and for not making Josh out to be some horrible villain.
FanficwriterGHC chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
Wow. You know, I've never read a story like this before. This was beautiful and tragic all at once. I love that Castle was willing to help her let Josh in, and that they were BOTH there with her. I've never read them interacting like that, without one bowing out. I really liked this. It's incredibly unique, not to mention emotional and well written.

Instant favorite.
phnxgrl chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
This is an interesting one shot. I noticed you kept Josh with her to the bitter end. I loved how Josh was unable to do what was needed to be done. Only Rick was able to do that for her. I feel so sad for Rick having to slay His and her demons at the same time but gets no comfort from her it all goes to Josh! It is amazing. Thanks for writing this complicated one shot!
softer chapter 1 . 9/10/2011
AC is giving you options, that's how good this is. Speaks volumes, methinks. You have such a talent for capturing the perfect words. I say capturing because you know as well as I that diction is that volatile thing that can either make a piece good, or make it great. Everything you write is great. Is it because you're so hard on yourself? Maybe. Is it because you're muse looks indescribably sexy in laderhosen? Definitely.

"I'm here until she tells me to go."

This line is so perfect for this...triangle, for lack of a better word (see: diction above). It's a short sentence, not even ten words long that manages to explain both men and their dedication to Kate. It's as close to an accurate definition as I've seen yet.

I admire your simplicity in your writing, and I admire even more when you overcome the challenge that IS your simplicity. Which you do, every time.

(For reference later, I'm the muse mentioned above. Don't shatter my illusions, kay?)

love, J