Reviews for Alternamorphs 1: The Return Of The Hyena
FullMentalPanic chapter 20 . 1/4/2013
Good job with Toby's character, although when she's talking about the difficulties The Sharing will have, her language seems a little...colloquial. Then again, who's she going to talk to besides Hork-Bajir and Animorphs? If some of her speech patterns mimic modern American youths it's only to be expected. Awesome point about how freed hosts have a whole wealth of valuable information to draw on. Also, very well played angle on how Toby hones in on how the bomb thing also has psychological ramifications and Jake realizes that Warren and David had likely taken that into account. Very interesting bit at the end there about material possessions vs. life. Obviously life is more important, but still I feel like the Animorphs need to tread carefully. Though our group is on the right side, they are not the ruling body of the nation. People will submit to certain things from their government that they won't abide in vigilantes. Plus, people don't just buy ipods with their wealth, they use it buy food which is one of the necessities of life. Still, it's a really great question to bring up, and though I feel like it could be a slippery slope, I'm glad they're really trying to hash out why it would or wouldn't be advantageous or right.
Novanto chapter 29 . 12/20/2012
"source of the people's belief in Satin"

Try "belief in Satan"
Alex Cloninger chapter 28 . 12/16/2012
I'm loving this arc. Cannot wait until the next chapter. I'd love to see everyone gain a Howler Morph as this was my favorite book in the entire series.
Novanto chapter 28 . 12/15/2012
Oh joy, the salesmen Yeeerk-spinoffs. This will be fun.
Aftran chapter 27 . 10/24/2012
Wow, this is really awesome! How often do you post new chapters?
shadowedzone chapter 27 . 10/24/2012
Keep up the good work.
Alex Cloninger chapter 27 . 10/24/2012
Dude I'm loving your version of the story with The Hyena. Warren is an awesome character, and KA Applegate should have used this version.
Nate The Ape chapter 25 . 10/8/2012
An absolutely AMAZING story!
FullMentalPanic chapter 19 . 9/24/2012
I like Jake's perspective, there's this wry humor to even gritty situations that makes it very enjoyable to read. Excellent canon realism with that point about Andalite's being pretty delicate around their humanoid features. Tobias' immediate grasp over how Warren used the morphing trance was awesome, as well as how he doesn't let his best friend slide on behavior issues. "Yeah, and if he was here we'd chew him out too, but David dragged him out before we could." Pretty accurate, well said, Marco. I do think people are over-exaggerating Warren's instability right, he was just mad (I've watched a lot of anime though, and casual violence abounds, so it may have just skewed my perspective).

One of the big reasons I enjoyed the Animorphs series was because it tackled moral issues, but a lot of the time it's not a choice just between not stealing and letting humanity be enslaved or stealing and possibly saving them. There's lots of choices and approaches for how to handle things and not wanting to do something illegal doesn't mean that you do nothing. Anyway, I'm still glad they're exploring the issue. Again, I'll still be interested whether Ben joins the team or just stays Warren's best-friend-not-in-on-the-conspiracy.

I can see how Cassie would be intrigued by the new battle tactics because, whatever else it does, it's done without bloodshed, at least so far. I'm glad they respect they're Hork-Bajir allies enough to discuss things with them before revealing their secret. Am I remembering wrong, or wasn't there some big ultimatum about David never using morphing again or something when they initially decided not to trap him in morph?
FullMentalPanic chapter 18 . 9/24/2012
Marco is an awesome actor, Warren has an accurate analysis of him. "Since the burnt out room was a full members room, it's believed that only full members were involved and they've all been taken in for questioning." Well played, Warren. You're handling the relationship between Warren and Marco quite well, even though Marco said a lot of things that may not be exactly typical of him, they're still things I can see him saying. Your expose on how they connect rang true. The relationship between Ben and Warren is turning very convincingly familial, with Warren obviously in the role of the big brother. I really like how you're getting the entire of families of Warren and Ben together for dinner, I can be quite a sucker for family support and acceptance. Great job showing Warren's motivation for attacking the Sharing and excellent payoff in showing how he and Ben are drawing together again.

Good handling of the reactions to the Sharing Scheme and the necessity to not wait on the Andalite fleet was well delivered. I do feel sympathy for Ax, for him it's not just about not having some much needed help in a fight to save a planet, it's about not getting to see his own people again. "Even if that means taking new risks or ignoring morality." Gotta disagree with that last part, there are some things that you should never do no matter what the circumstances are. Good job with the reactions and motivations and vulnerable spots between Ax and Warren, very realistic scenario. I snickered a bit over David being impressed that Warren clocked Ax. Those two might have more issues now, but this might also just help them become friends, sometimes fights work that way. David's last few lines of dialogue were actually very affecting.
FullMentalPanic chapter 17 . 9/24/2012
Huzzah for human empowerment! I'm seriously enjoying how much David's dad is helping out, Animorph parents typically don't get to directly help out with the war effort so it's cool seeing him make such a decisive contribution. I really liked that moment of reflection on Warren's part concerning how he'll be viewed by society at large if he manages to survive the war. Things are going in an interesting direction know with how David and his dad are theorizing over ways to incorporate morphing and human weaponry. I love battle tactics! Great segue on Warren's part redirecting David from the Yeerk pool to the Sharing, that place really needs to go down (although it's destruction probably would result in Yeerks just taking hosts by force).

You walked a fine line with him almost telling Jake the plan but not quite getting approval for, giving just enough information to the leader that it seems plausible he'd still go on with it. David is just the person to do something like this with, his attitude toward just doing what works certainly is conducive for this particular plan. Direct reputation maligning, unless I'm forgetting something WHY DIDN'T THEY EVER TRY THAT IN THE BOOKS? Great idea. They are treading on ground where it's easy to go to far and caution must be exerted, but I'm really intrigued by the concept. There's probably going to be major backlash amongst the Animorphs for it though. Is there any member of the Animorphs who doesn't suck at driving (aside from Ax)? Warren's aversion to growing up was amusing.

Whoa, this plan was multi-layered, and I really approve of how they're liberating some cops in the process. Crazy plans certainly make life more interesting! It's so cool when they use morph acquirement offensively, and pressure points those are great too. True that there were risks, but I like how his overall response to the plan was just to tighten things up next time rather than abandon this type of work. I enjoyed David's total exultation as well, sometimes it's good to celebrate. Good job working David back into semi-willingness to work with the other Animorphs, and well done camaraderie and support between him and Warren.
PorkKage chapter 23 . 9/5/2012
Good chap. Very deep.
shadowedzone chapter 21 . 8/27/2012
Really well done, as always.
FullMentalPanic chapter 16 . 8/27/2012
From Ben's perspective, I like that. "Sam was always there for Frodo, even when Frodo told him to get lost." I love Lord of the Rings, gotta say though, this sounds like you're basing this statement on the scene in the movie where Frodo tells Sam to go home after Gollum plants the lembas on Sam to make it seem like Sam stole it. This never happened in the book, and Ben is reading the book. This is tough on Ben considering it's pretty much the only real friendship situation he's had, but he still seems kind of emotional, some people are emotional though. Ben's dad is pretty savvy. That hug in the picture that Ben keeps does seem pretty touchy for just friends. Although that's partly because usually when you see a description of someone wrapping their arms around someone else from behind, it's a guy wrapping his arms around a girl's waist. Guys can hug guys from behind and not have their manliness questioned, I think it just needs to be described a little differently for that to work. Like, "Warren stepped behind me a looped his arms around my shoulders, somewhere between a hug and a wrestling hold," or "Warren stepped behind me and wrapped me in a bear hug." My opinion anyway.

I do really like that you're devoting a significant amount of time to Warren's life outside the Animorphs while still showing how both portions affect each other.
FullMentalPanic chapter 15 . 8/27/2012
Aww, references to Marco's most common meme. It's brief, but I like how it referenced that Warren takes advantage of the option of sitting out missions. Typically Animorphs are obsessed with being included in missions even if they're psychologically traumatized, exhausted, or dealing with disease. It's nice to see someone who knows how to pace himself, despite other issues he may be having. Whoa, so he's essentially using the hyena like a drug right now. You're really giving killing the tree-dude huge and far-reaching impact, which I think is effective. I can sort of sympathize with Ben, but he's also being kind of selfish to assume that Warren's actions are all about him and not wanting to hang out with him and not picking up on how Warren actually needs help right now. Egad, the Sharing! I didn't see that coming for some reason but it really makes sense, and Ben is so the type of person they'd target. I'm interested to see if Warren will be able to dissuade him without spilling the beans or if he's just going to tell all.

I like the simultaneous randomness and flow of his dream. The quandary of killing the host along with the yeerk is pretty much a cornerstone of Animorphs, in some ways. However, it also seems like the characters genuinely or deliberately forget a lot of the time. I'm interested to see if it's a much more prevalent issue for Warren, or if he figures out how to go after the Yeerks directly. What was that one morph Visser Three demonstrated in the second book that could suck a yeerk out of a hosts head? Could he acquire that one in any way (did I already mention that?)? Does that one leave the host alive? I kind of think so but maybe it doesn't, or causes massive brain trauma.

People always assume it's their fault if someone is depressed or upset. I think that's kind of a defense mechanism though, if it's about you then there's at least something you can do about it. The return of David! I really like that you're utilizing that character and that both he and he's dad are consciously preparing themselves for war and combat. "Apparently I'm a prodigy in weapons, imagine that." Thought this was funny, but cool too. I like seeing non-morphing skills brought into play.

The conversation between David and Warren is great, the psychology and personality and character development and battle strategy going on in it is fascinatingly written. Seriously approve of David talking about how to fight in unexpected ways and being a threat as a human and an animorph. I feel like it would be really cool if they can defend their planet on their own terms. Using Andalite technology is cool, but it's thanks to the Andalites (which is okay). Being able to figure out and act on plans as humans though, it really ups their coolness factor and respectability (which was one of the things I liked about the 4th Megamorphs, seeing them all fight as humans). Interesting conclusions he comes to for what death to a host means, we'll see if that explanation works for him when they start acting on it.
54 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »