Reviews for Where Were You
Gigglesforcsi chapter 6 . 1/25/2014
I think you did a wonderful job of depicting what each character was feeling as each pivotal moment in history happened, but I was wondering if like in Lindsay's scenario people really did try to take back the plane that was hijacked? You can send me a private message w/the answer if you ever read this review as I realize that I'm reviewing this long after the story was posted. So if you do happen to read this could you please respond to my question?
NCISMcGee chapter 6 . 9/30/2011
Wow, all I can say is beautiful. Very beautiful. Wonderful tribute to everyone who was taken from us on that awful day. Thank you.
kleinepfoetchen chapter 6 . 9/25/2011
This was a fantastic idea for a story. I think everyone will always remember what they did on this certain day, how they found out what had happened, how we all watched it in shock not believing what was happening. You captured all those scenes so well. I love how you split this up into different chapters for all the characters, showing how they dealt with it. I love how you gave them all their 'screentime'. Did you watch the premiere of season 8 yet? I love it when attention is paid to all the characters and I love how you did that. And I love how you finished this with Mac; wonderful way to close this story. Amazing work, really well done!
ABVR chapter 6 . 9/24/2011
Wow . . . a couple of deep breaths and a Kleenex later . . . this I can say that this was definitely ending the story with an emotional "wham!"

Putting my editor's hat on for a minute, I'd have ended it one sentence earlier than you did:

"Claire was gone."

And just leave it to hang in the air. That sentence is powerful enough, all by itself. It doesn't need any further explanation. It's pain and emptiness and disbelief and shock all rolled into three words.

Taking off my editor's hat again . . .

Wow. Just, wow.
ABVR chapter 5 . 9/24/2011
Hmmm . . . really interesting to see it from a perspective outside NYC/DC (well, okay, the East Coast). Interesting, too, to see Lindsey reacting to it in the company of people other than the ones we always see her with.

Is it okay that when Lindsey caught the TV with the corner of her eye at the end, I was wondering if the footage was going to be of some red-brown haired NYPD detective pulling a woman out of the rubble of the South Tower? [I know, I know . . . it wouldn't have set up your last line . . . but . . . ]
ABVR chapter 4 . 9/24/2011
Wow! *Excellent* job!

I really like the fact that this one, for all that it's only a thousand words long or so, really is a self-contained story: Character, problem, complications, resolution.

It's also amazing (and totally credible) to see the Danny we know from the series come through in the conversation with the trapped woman in the rubble. The fact that you nail his "everyday" voice so well makes the contrast with his despondent inner voice that much more striking.

And the last line - especially when you stop and realize that the firefighters have just seen the South Tower come down - is major lump-in-the-throat time.
ABVR chapter 3 . 9/24/2011
This one resonated a bit less with me, because I haven't seen a lot of Jo on the show . . . but the Jo-as-parent part worked just fine. It was actually kind of nice (reality-reality v. TV-reality) to see a parent trying to answer a natural-but-awkward question from their kid and not having the words . . . but knowing they had to fumble through anyway.

One *very* small quibble: Secretaries answer the office phone with "Director Throttlebottom's office" or "Department of Repetitious Redundancy" or whatever, rather than their own name. [Unless, of course, they're your friend and you're calling them on their cell phone . . . which I just thought of. :-)]
ABVR chapter 2 . 9/24/2011
Awwww . . . very, very sweet finish to this piece, with her reminding him to come out alive! I especially like the way you contrast it with him being glad that she's not there for (essentially) just the same reason.

I don't know if the parallel ends to the phone calls between Danny-Aiden and Mac-Stella was deliberate - in both cases, they break the connection simultaneously, without saying goodbye - but it was kind of cool.

And, um, does Det. Timothy Halliwell have any female relatives in San Francisco, whose names begin with P? :-)
ABVR chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
Nice opening! Even though I knew it had to be coming, you handled the scene where Stella tells Mac about the crash brilliantly.

A nice touch, too, that she doesn't ask him what floor Claire is on - because back then, right after the impact, it didn't seem like the most important detail. We didn't know, then, that virtually everybody above the impact zone in the North Tower would be lost, and virtually everybody below it would get out . . . but it's hard to remember that now.

On to part II!
afrozenheart412 chapter 6 . 9/13/2011
With all the chapters before there was always one point where the tears fell and the sobbing began. In here it was from the very beginning, knowing how hard Mac was fighting the knowledge that she wouldn't be getting out of this, paused me with feeling his desperation at trying to do anything but think of what was going to happen. She has so much faith and love in him that its no wonder that she caught his eye at the party. This whole thing are my favorite, there is nothing, nothing that can compare to what she has told him in here about how she loves him and wants him to live on.

Moving on, never means forgetting, there will always be a special place in his heart because he will always love her.

You did an amazing job, just EXCELLENT with showing everyone at their best and by honoring everyone who died on that day.
afrozenheart412 chapter 5 . 9/13/2011
Again, you've done everything in here to honor those who were lost. ALL of them. Jessica losing her brother hit me like a knife sliding into my heart, her pain in here is so real that I couldn't help but sob. There is nothing that I can say to show how much this has affected me other than you have shown everyone and their pain, you are a truly gifted with bringing us and the characters into this story.

"Then Lindsey watched as her friend buried her face in her hands, and Lindsey knew that the full weight of what had just happened was washing of over Jessica. She wanted to do something, but she was a loss for how to console her friend. She vaguely wondered if there was a single person in the country who really knew how to cope with what was going on or even if there a single person who was not mourning because even for those who did not have a friend of family member on one of those planes or in one of those buildings, this was a national tragedy.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw another picture flash up on the TV screen and felt another pang of sadness at the sight of a small girl and her mother who were watching a the body of a man Lindsey presumed to be the father was pulled from the rubble of the South Tower.

Lindsey bit her lip. How many more people were going to die before the day was over?"
afrozenheart412 chapter 4 . 9/13/2011
Yeah he is, only he doesn't know it. His fear isn't a source of shame or disgust, he has ever right to feel that way because those firefighter are feeling the same way. Danny would do anything he possibly can to help people, why else did he help Sandy when he could have easily walked away?

"Now more than ever he did not want to enter that building, but he was a cop… He was trained for dangerous situations. How was this so much worse than any of those? Still even as he asked the question, he knew the answer. It was worse because there was no training for this, and there was no protocol. This was an attack on the nation."

By doing what he can to help those who are going in, that's what he can do.
afrozenheart412 chapter 3 . 9/13/2011
I want to say thank you for showing that not only NYC was affected but Washington DC and Pennsylvania. A lot of good people died in this country on that day and having seen how it affected Jo and Tyler when their own city was hit...you did an EXCELLENT JOB with this.

"Jo sat down next to the pillow creation and waited. She knew that she could not force her son to come out before he was ready. However she knew from past experience that she would not have to wait to long. Sure enough, within just a few minutes, her son had wormed his way out of the pillows and into her lap.

Jo wrapped him in her arms and held him to her, and for the first time that morning she realized that she, too was scared of what was happening in the outside world."
afrozenheart412 chapter 2 . 9/12/2011
"None of the other detectives had tried to interfere in any way because they all understood, at least to some extent, what she was feeling. The city she had pledged her loyalty to had been wounded, and there was not a single thing she could do to help."

"Then there was a short pause before the two simultaneously disconnected their phones, and Aiden sat back in her chair feeling more alone than ever before."

These are my two favorite lines because they capture how alone and helpless she felt. Something a cop hates feeling if there is any way they can help. Even though she hates being in Boston...I'm glad she's there, if not there at least somewhere safe.
afrozenheart412 chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
I've been trying to get to this but haven't had the time. Stella and Casey's reaction to this happening is real and devastating...at least until she calls Mac. I broke down right then reading that he didn't know what was going on. God.

If we ever needed a reason to go out and help it was this day, I LOVE the dedication and pure need to be there to lend a hand. LOVE IT!