Reviews for Freedom Flight
Sarge1995 chapter 1 . 7/19/2012
This was a beautiful fic, without a doubt. So few people can give meaning to this kind of story, can make a reader truly feel it; but you certainly did. Absolutely superb work, as always. Keep it up, friend.
Endymion Blue chapter 1 . 7/19/2012
This was a good fic, the core of it and its message were awesome. A few technical details you got wrong though, or at least weren't explained in the fic.

First off, Imperial lasers are typically green in color, whereas Rebel ones are red. Why that is? No clue.

Second, I think you referenced the flight group breaking left then had Liz roll to starboard, which would mean she rolled to the right and broke formation instead of rolling to port and sticking with the group.

Third thing I can remember is that the Incom T-65B X-Wing typically carries a standard load of 6 proton torpedoes, 3 per tube. Maybe Liz had used a pair beforehand but you probably should address that.

Last thing I can think of: proton torpedoes are more of a shaped charge than a high explosive, if you will. They're designed to send all the force of their warheads forward so they can put the maximum amount of damage on a warship that they can. Artistic license could probably be used on that, but I just wanted to make sure you knew in case you didn't before.

Don't mean to get all up your exhaust ports on the technical aspects of the story. Story is still very well-written besides those little details.
LadySaxophone chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
Excellent. That's really all I can say. You did an amazing job with this piece.
skywalker05 chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
Nice job. Great descriptions of the X-Wing flying ("nosed her X-Wing over"), and Eliza is a realistic character who reminds me of Deena Shan and doesn't feel intrusive to the Star Wars universe like some OCs are wont to do. The banter here reminded me a lot of the Rogue Squadron novels.
SerendipityAEY chapter 1 . 9/19/2011
**"Mark my aim, Liz, this is it."

This was it. Her family would never be reunited, even if this war did end one day. Kale would never get a response to that message he'd sent his little sister, last week. There'd be no more monthly comm calls to Mom and Dad.

She wondered if Captain Antilles would be the one to tell her parents what had happened.**

Lovely, just perfectly written. This is it.

**Wedge closed his eyes, giving a silent remembrance to his comrade, his sister-in-arms, a rookie, a hopeful, who had answered a call of duty that every Alliance member venerated and honored; and feared for when it might come for them.**

I love the power of emotion Wedge feels, even for a rookie. And that's what made the Alliance what it was - so beautifully captured here. The whole ending part with Wedge's pov is fantastic!
LongLiveTheClones chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
What an amazing story! I totally didn't expect the ending at all! Such an inspiring tale to write in honor of September 11th! A great gift to give all of us! The quote in the beginning is just perfect. Loved it!
Slade1987 chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
Damn this was a good and powerful piece. Lovely job in portrayal. Aside from some grammar and spelling mishaps this was just pure brilliant, well written.
laloga chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
First of all, this is a beautiful way to honor the memory of the souls who lost their lives ten years ago; fantastic quote at the beginning, too. (It looks familiar, but I can't place the author...?) Thanks for sharing this with us.

That being said, this is a gripping, exciting ride in of itself; I really *felt* like I was in that X-wing with Liz - great job presenting the "feel" of flying at such speeds. It's no secret that I'm unfamiliar with many of the more "technical" aspects of sci-fi, but I thought that this narrative was remarkably easy to understand, given how heavy it is on the "lingo."

Obviously this is set in the world of the OT, and after being mired in TCW era for so long, this was a refreshing bit of SW "history" to visit. Loved your main OC; I really got a sense of who Elisa was even within just a few thousand words - not easy to do! - which made her sacrifice all the more potent. True heroes can come in all forms, from a wizened Jedi Master to a young woman with a big dream and a desire to do some good in the world. Her crush on Wedge was adorable, and fleshed her out as well, though of course it added to the tragic element. Also loved the contrast between her "rookie" nerves and Wedge's cool, calm attitude - great juxtaposition of what a difference a bit of "experience" makes.

"She wondered briefly if Captain Antilles would be the one to tell her parents what had happened." Fantastic line. Just amazing...but so, so sad.

I really loved the language that you used here; in a way, it seemed almost poetic to me, in addition to being wonderfully clear and descriptive. I'm blown away, really, because I know that I could never write anything like this...it's just not how my brain is "wired." The fact that you pulled it off with such detail to the point where even *I* could understand what was going on speaks to how strong your writing is.

Loved the last section with Wedge's POV as well. Of course, we know he's not as calm as he appears, but since he's in command, he has to play that role.

Really, really love this: "One pilot. One fighter. One tragedy. And one step closer to freedom."

Excellent work, my friend! Again, thanks for sharing this, and for sharing Penny's story - it's so important that the "smaller" stories like hers don't get forgotten in the wake of everything else. (And good luck on the "aspiring pilot" thing! Is that right to say? Are you in flight school?)
DoubleEO chapter 1 . 9/11/2011