Reviews for Becoming a Master
EnderBlazeHybrid chapter 10 . 1/13
There is no way they would let anyone, including Sabrina, get away with freaking murder and assult.
Vryheid chapter 27 . 1/11
I tried to enjoy this story, I really did. This is unusual because on the surface this story has a lot of elements I like in Pokemon fanfiction. It has a human transforming into a Pokémon, and shows the change of perspective in an interesting way. It has battle scenes which are action oriented and don't feel like trainers mindlessly calling out commands. It has good writing and descriptions and dialogue which feels natural and emotional. The time travel elements are handled well and adds a level of complexity to the plot. It has humor and drama and hints of romance, which are all balanced well. On the surface it seems to have everything needed to be considered a top tier Pokemon fanfic.

It also has one of the most annoying protagonists I've ever encountered on this website.

To understand Violet, you need to realize that despite never transforming into a Pokémon like Indigo, she's the least human character in the story. She's a walking caricature, a simple minded (and borderline sexist) stereotype. She's a naïve, self-righteous nitwit who cares more about moral showboating that actually helping her friends. She's so pathetically ignorant and helpless that it's sickening to read about her at times. Her only saving grace is her ridiculous amount of good luck and circumstance that invariably saves her whenever she's in trouble. Judging by her inability to think for herself, act rationally, or make sacrifices for the greater good, without this luck I don't think she should've lasted five chapters. It's a shame she's been alive as long as she has.

I've tried to reflect on why I feel so strongly about this character. Why is it with all these other elements of the story that work so well, this one character has managed to aggravate me so much that I simply could not finish reading the story? I think a lot of it comes down to cheated expectations. We're treated to a character who's dumb enough to get Magikarp as a starter, who's hurt her friends and family with her own pig headedness, and who honestly is a terrible trainer. Then Indigo arrives and we start believing that she'll begin to grow as a character. That surely, she'll come to realize that capturing Pokémon that are way too strong for her to handle is a bad idea. That surely she'll learn to become more independent and less obsessed with being a goody two shoes even at the expense of her own health. But she never does. She never changes, and the only thing that seems to grow with her is the number of excuses that justify all her irrational and self-indulgent behavior. This dissonance takes me out of the work because I feel as a reader that my expectations have been dashed by an author who simply didn't care about what kind of message they were trying to put across.

Let me make it clear, though – this is not a "bad" fanfiction by any means. It has good writing, it has interesting backstory, it has intense action scenes. I'd go as far as to say it's a great fanfic – just an incredibly frustrating one. If you can ignore this one character who has the moral complexity of a toothpick, I'd say it's even enjoyable. I couldn't, though, and for that reason it's hard for me to recommend anyone else try to read this all the way through.
Commando64 chapter 33 . 1/11
It's really catching up now! Looking forward to the next chapter!
OseanSoldier chapter 33 . 1/10
Man, sorry to hear about your lost progress... That really stinks... Was wondering why this next chapter was taking so long. Either way, it was well worth the wait.

The beginning of the chapter was sad... They shouldn't be fighting... It certainly had its twists and turns. The end was surprising and now I want the next chapter ever so more. I really cannot wait to see how you plan on ending this wonderful story of yours.
FtDLulz chapter 33 . 1/10
Great chapter as always!

Also, what word processor do you use? I find that LibreOffice is a really good one if you're looking for another.
OseanSoldier chapter 32 . 10/13/2014
Well... This chapter was certainly different... and unexpected in many ways... Lots of surprises and answers. Now just one remains, why does Tero want to see the world burn?

Great job again, and I can totally relate to the college thing.

I have never really been able to make up my mind on Avery... earlier I would have sided with Violet. Now... I am pretty cemented with Indigo. This next chapter is going to be big, that much I can tell.
Omg chapter 4 . 10/13/2014
okay,

why

just why

does this little IDIOT of a trainer

have a MASTERBALL

TWO of them

WTF
Seas and Shadows chapter 31 . 8/15/2014
God, that took three weeks to read. It was all beautiful.

Indigo really shouldn't have said that. "You can't do that until Violet's dead." Yeah. Not the best plan, Blue-eyes.

Keep up the amazing work!

Out of curiosity, do you have a beta? I really need one.

Good job!
Thousandcrystals chapter 30 . 8/8/2014
This doesn't seem right. Indigo and Violet fighting separate battles? And it isn't like I don't understand Indigo's choice...it just breaks my heart a little to know he can't always save everyone.
His path has always been paved in guilt and blood. I'm glad that wasn't quite so literal this time around.
As always,
Thousandcrystals
Jazzyblueyes chapter 31 . 8/8/2014
I don't even know what to say. But I'm typing anyways, so here goes.
This story is incredible. I feel like Violet and Indigo are real people, who I've known for years. That's how alive they are, in my mind. Everyone else, while not written badly, just seems like a counterpoint, an accent to those central two. Violet's understanding is the perfect balance to Indigo's self hatred. And they're both surprisingly awesome, and realistic as characters. They belong together even more than Indigo and his love interest.
That's what I think at least. So just wow. Post another quickly, okay?
Say Something chapter 30 . 8/8/2014
This was the most awesome battle I've ever read in my whole life. Coming from someone who has seen/read a whole lot of 'em. Cool as ever!
OseanSoldier chapter 31 . 8/8/2014
Great chapter again. I always enjoyed reading this story. Look forward to how this is going to end. Will check out the other story you mentioned. If it has a Lucario or Zoroark, I'm in.
Guest chapter 30 . 8/8/2014
Hmmm... Some how missed this chapter... Still great none the less. And for the first time in several chapters, I don't want to glue you to a chair and force you to keep writing. Still kind if a small cliff hanger, but nothing like the past few. Will read your next chapter when I can, hopefully later today.
Commando64 chapter 31 . 8/8/2014
Awesome chapter and easily my favourite up to this point! (and once again, sorry I mixed up those two reviews...but my love for this story is genuine ok?...)
Mihile chapter 31 . 8/8/2014