Reviews for Sin City
GrammarDemon chapter 7 . 4/30
Great story from start to finish. Glad I could read it!
SPNReadingManiac chapter 7 . 4/30
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards : April 2016

This really is a story to catch at the mind and at the heart. The well-built plot and smooth flow of intertwining action and reflection – Sam’s thoughts in this period, his fears and his guilt and his uncertainties – combined with a very good characterisation of both brothers, and a vivid and clear background of Las Vegas, with its history, its upsides and downsides; and the thoughtful but never pushy narrative commentary, well and truly overcame the occasional errors in presentation and language to deliver a strong case story with a depth of feeling that lifted it well out of the norm.

The descriptive passages wove a faintly wistful and poetic feel to the city throughout, while still giving clear and prosaic imagery. The dialogue, for this period in the Winchesters’ lives, and for the secondary characters, was natural, characteristic and showed the distinct differences between each of the characters. The recapture of the pain of the shapeshifter here, expanding on the episode introduction for both the horror of the creature and for its eternal loneliness, added another layer to the story very nicely, reminding that the monsters are not always so different from those who hunt them.

It’s not often I find stories on the site that really explore a realistic view of the brothers, in the way their past is never over, never forgotten, but constantly acting on both of them, driving their actions and developing the characters through a gradual understanding of what has happened to them, and of what they’ve done. This was a pleasure to read for that exploration and development, a glimpse of real people in a fictional world.
SPN Mum chapter 7 . 4/2
I was totally surprised at the fact that the Winchesters were hunting a shapeshifter and not a vengeful spirit. You did a very good job of making it seem as if they had missed an item that was keeping the spirit around, besides it's body. Steve was an interesting character, and I was sorry to see him meet his end at the hands of the shifter. I really enjoyed the insights into what Sam was thinking and feeling, when the shifter talked to Sam before going after Dean. I was also surprised that the shifter had a little talk with Dean too, after saving him from drowning. I guess the shifter really did identify with Sam, at least enough to want to save Dean for him. It was a touching moment between the brothers at the end too, when they both opened up to each other about how they felt about Dean's deal. You captured them both very well.
BlackIceWitch chapter 7 . 8/22/2015
Nice ending and a great story. I really enjoyed it, and thank you for writing and sharing it :)
BlackIceWitch chapter 6 . 8/22/2015
Lovely, lovely work on the shifter. It's becoming more and more rare to find a story that actually deals with the issues of the brothers and I'm very happy to have found this one. So nicely done!
BlackIceWitch chapter 5 . 8/22/2015
Some very good insights into Sam's state of mind and the shifter's knowledge of him. Your descriptions are wonderful, not too long, action sequences paced beautifully and a real pleasure to read.
BlackIceWitch chapter 4 . 8/22/2015
Excellent chapter! It's so refreshing to get Sam's viewpoint! I like Steve, he's practical! Great work!
BlackIceWitch chapter 3 . 8/22/2015
You have a terrific gift for natural dialogue and description. I'm intrigued by the latest turn of events!
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 8/22/2015
Very nice beginning and a very nice cliffhanger!
Sjoeks chapter 7 . 11/1/2011
Yay :D this was a really cool story I should have gone to bed already, but I just couldn't stop reading ;) well done

- Lune x
Beckydaspatz chapter 7 . 10/27/2011
Can you say Best. ending. ever? Cause I can, and this is! It has a lump in my throat and the story just went full circle. This closes up like the end of an episode, seriously. Be very proud of this my friend, because it is wonderful.

In their line of business pure faith could be a deadly sentiment.- GREAT LINE!

"But the things he was willing to do – the things that made him a monster in our line of business … I'd do them too, if it would save you. You're everything that's left, everything that means something to me. I can't ..."

"Aw Jeez, Sammy", Dean barely managed to keep control over his voice. He had tried to avoid this conversation, but deep inside he knew exactly how Sam was feeling. It was the same mix of rage, desperation, guilt and love that Dean had felt when he had discovered the kind of deal his dad had made. Just that back then it was too late to do anything about it.

"I get it, Sam. I really do. And I'm sorry about it. Believe me, if there'd been any other way to go …," he swallowed. "But having to feel the life seeping out of you, having to watch your body, so quiet, so strange …"

Dean inhaled, shifting uncomfortably. "It was like … something in me had taken control, and I was glad it did, because I felt blind and deaf and dead. The worst thing had already happened to me. There couldn't be anything more terrifying than that. So I made the deal. And I'm glad I did …"

"But?" Sam whispered, unconsciously leaning a bit more into his brother, not needing to look at his brother to exactly know how vulnerable that kind of confession made Dean.

"I don't wanna go Sammy." Voice rasp from raw emotion. "I mean, you know the rules. You know I won't jeopardize your life. But I ain't ready to die too. So if there's a way out of this mess, any way, we'll find it, okay? Just ... don't try it alone, ya hear me?"

Sam tensed, looking guilty.

"Promise?"

A shaky smile.

"Promise."

And this time the silence felt comforting.

I'm sorry to copy and paste so much, but you my friend need to read this and then re-read this, cause I can literally see the credits rolling right after this. What a masterpiece, thanks so much for sharing it with all of us! :-)
Beckydaspatz chapter 6 . 10/27/2011
So..I finally had a minute to breath and check up on your stuff and WHOA! What a POWERFUL chapter! I am so, SO glad that you decided to venture into the multi-chapter world, because you fit in so well :D

"For example – did you know that he came to me with the vague idea to force me into your charming shape? In order to kill me, leave a dead body looking exactly like you … so that the demon holding your contract might be led astray?"- What a heartbreaking (and clever) idea!

the features of his opponent started to shift like tectonic plates.- I had to read this sentence quite a few times, because the first time the mental vision I got took my breath away. Freaking AMAZING!

Off to read the next chapter, loved the pacing of this story, loved the fact that Sam Shifter saved him, LOVED that the consequences of Dean's deal for Sam was put front and center at the end, LOVE how well you write the boys and your own characters, Hell I just LOVE the whole thing! :D
mainegirlwrites chapter 7 . 10/23/2011
Oh darling, I was so sad to see this end! But when it did, those last few lines of conversation between the brothers gave me chills. Excellent job!
Dizzo chapter 7 . 10/23/2011
That was a lovely comforting ending with a tiny touch of bittersweet with Dean opening his heart about his deal.

I love Dean's conflict over being saved by the shapeshifter.

All in all a fabulous story, thank you!
SupernaturallyEgocentric chapter 7 . 10/22/2011
What a relief! Good chapter!