Reviews for The Blue Dragon
kdntjb chapter 3 . 5/31/2012
Onto interaction with the Gaang! This sense of sentences has a bit more of a sense of fun to them, if only because of the dialogue from more light-hearted characters as opposed to the brooding and dark childhood silence/narration of Beginnings. It's a transition from narration to more dialogue seen across the whole story, reflecting the tone and Azula's direction in life.

"2. Powder" suggests that the Blue Spirit is dead? Or maybe her connection to the spirit around her is fading? It would prove to be an interesting development whatever the case.

"5. Union" piques my interest because of the way "Azula coughed and caught Katara's braid". Something about the description of her catching the hair - an undercurrent of violence or total acceptance? It's abrupt enough, and a little rude, as befits Azula who didn't care to touch her arm or anything else.

"6. Cleansed" is also vague and leaves me wondering for context, as does "7. Go"

"11. Life" confused me at first because I wasn't sure who was giving birth, but then I recalled the Serpent's Pass. Could Azula's apparent squeamishness at childbirth be linked to parent issues or some sort of creepy spirit vision?

"12. Contempt", yeah, Azula, don't take any of that! The level of violence displayed with the rough grabbing is a nice touch, very Azula, as is the exasperation.

"13. Wrong" makes me think-Lake Logai? Now I'm desperate to read, damn you. A manipulation battle would be so fun to read...

"14. Sweeten" has got me thinking maybe Iroh really is dead and Azula drinks tea like that in his memory? Then again, I doubt Iroh would really advocate the destruction of tea with sugar like that. Her understanding of Firebending is certainly not as violent as the norm, as outlined in "22. Rhythm"

"16. Strangle" I WANT TO KNOW CONTEXT. God, you've got me way too interested in this. I really will be crushed if I never see this fic. It's got me really interested with such brief snapshots. Gaang interaction! Katara defends Azula and in "17. Lullaby", Azula looks to be comforting Toph. She even shares these special looks with Sokka in "25. Parade" and he seems really happy for her in "21. Obvious". She even can't be mean to Aang in "26. Touch" because she has a heart. She really is part of the Gaang and it makes me wonder...

Speaking of which, "21. Obvious" really confused me at first, but then I stared at it for a very long time, read the word farmer and am presuming it's the boy who was Azula's first kiss in which case, that's adorable. Beyond adorable.

And the Zuko/Azula relationship! Even though parental issues resurface as she gleefully burns the palace to the ground, as I imagine Chen's house experienced in The Beach.

Overall, a really interesting and well-put together 1sentence set, posing lots of questions and mysteries.
kdntjb chapter 2 . 5/31/2012
The timeframe of this chapter seems to be all over the place, which is fairly typical of 1sentence prompts but disorientating nonetheless. Of course, we can't give away too many spoilers so it works.

I'm not sure when " " is set but if Azula is showing empathy for other people that's interesting. Azula in the Earth Kingdom generally interests me, as does her simple please at the celebrations in "29. Fireworks"

Ozai seems far less approving of Azula or she seems less in awe of him if "3. Dismiss" is any indication.

Her relationship with Iroh is certainly not the parental love-fest of Zuko and Iroh, but there's something there. You can see parallels between Zuko/Azula in their dealings with Iroh and "7. Cut" seems to just be inviting comparison to that one scene in season 2 where Zuko lops of his topknot. Iroh displays a similar sort of caring for her, which she probably needs considering Ursa hates her and Ozai has little regard for her as a person. Then you have the parallel of Zuko's defence of Li and the village in "11. Morals". But "12. Engage" show that Iroh doesn't quite understand her just like how he got her the doll when he sieged Ba Singe Se and got Zuko the awesome knife. "14. Awkward" just slays me. But most interesting are "16. Plead" and "27. Lies", especially 16 where Azula's pessimism "put him out of his misery" prevails over a "please help him". I thought Iroh might die, but then recalled he was cured from the tea that was actually poison in canon and am thusly having reservations on that theory.

"26. First Kiss" is adorable. That is all.

Middle seems so all-encompassing and we haven't even gotten to the Gaang.
kdntjb chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
As someone who's done 1sentence things before (or attempted them) I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into these and how semi-colons become your best friends ever. That said, it's a terribly intriguing AU set up here and I'm eagerly awaiting Flawed Design to be posted in what will presumably be the summer of 2012.

Now, onto some actual reviewing. I quite interesting in how you came up with the prompts. I find them all used very well for the sentences. Sometimes, with other authors I find the prompts are taken too literally and words from the prompts are recycled in the sentences ad nausem. The subtler approach you've taken here works wonders for having the sentences and prompts work in tandem to create atmosphere and lend suggestions about ambiguous meanings in the prose.

In regards to plot, as far as I can see Azula and Zuko got along well and, because Azula didn't listen in on Father and Grandfather speaking, Zuko really did get offed as a point. Then again, I thought that the whole "kill your first born" thing happened when Zuko was ten, not eight but AU! Don't think too hard! Oh, and Azula can talk to spirits which is what I find the coolest and most interesting development.

I have to take a moment to admire how the sentences all interlink. I've read this over a few times and I still love it all.

"4. Puppy love" is ostensibly a characterisation point to show a younger Azula is human and a little childish, sympathetic. Later sentences build off of this little crush on tall swordsmen to possible explain a little of Azula's fondness of the Blue Spirit.

"5. Gloves" and other glimpses into the Ursa/Azula relationship are also fascination. Zuko's flashbacks of Ursa show he views her as the perfect and caring mother but, of course, his death had major repercussions and some physical abuse towards Azula, possible stemming from resentment at her lying about Zuko's location? The descent into insanity shows Azula has little love lost for her mother but canon mommy issues could remain.

Zuko and Azula's relationship is much better. "6. Blackboard" informs us of them learning as peers, and "9. Clean" and other sentences build on this, particularly the one where Azula lies when Zuko tries to burn down the Ember Island Playhouse.

"11. Supersition" and the adjacent sentences hint a bit more at this whole spirit affair and this "royal family under a curse" is cool. The lack of Mai and Ty Lee in future sentences probably suggests they won't be featuring in the new fic much. Disappointments but Azula as more than enough suggested development and relationships with the spirits to make up for it, especially in how "14. Tease" shows her actually acting like a kid.

"17. Weapon" is a personal favourite of mine. It's just kind of funny and insightful at the same time. The fact Azula has the courage to speak up and ask her father this speaks volumes about her too.

This is great from a marketing standpoint, by the way, teasing all your readers like this. It's criminal you don't have more reviews.
Cozman10 chapter 3 . 9/15/2011
O_o... do you LIKE showing us something great yet with holding the best bits? It's like having a BBQ without steak... just wrong!
PoogieBop chapter 3 . 9/15/2011
This sounds really cool, and I'm really looking forward to reading it. That being said, I'm a bit concerned that you've given away too many of the story details (i.e. 28-30). From this list, I think I'm looking forward to seeing how #13. Wrong, #16. Strangle, and #17. Lullaby come about and play out.
Turkey in a suit chapter 3 . 9/15/2011
Love the third one too The idea of Azula with golden flames does sound quite interesting. Look forward to Flawed Design
TheBeingOfEverything chapter 1 . 9/14/2011
I love how you portray the characters and this story is really unique :) can't wait for more!
Turkey in a suit chapter 2 . 9/13/2011
Love this.
AvatarRai chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
Love the story, very effective. Hope you will consider continuing :)
Turkey in a suit chapter 1 . 9/13/2011
This seems really interesting. I'll be sure to read Flawed Design when it comes out.
new moongirl chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
i would love to read a multi-chapter story in this AU... :D the BS was zuko...right? maybe? XD nicely done
Greader chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
So in this universe, Azula didn't hear her father agree to kill Zuko, Zuko was on good terms with her, Ursa hates her, and she talks to spirits. That is just so awesome.